The Student Room Group

A level History AQA Angevins 3A 10th June

what do we think will come up?
and do you think it is worth revising synoptic topics

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MMMMM22
what do we think will come up?
and do you think it is worth revising synoptic topics

I think Richard is due to make an appearance as the last two papers have had the question on John. If it isn't Richard then the only John one that hasn't appeared in a while is John and Magna Carta. I'm pretty confident with Henry but would say a Thomas Becket one is due (only been in the first two exam papers and royal authority has been in the last three), if not then on the great rebellion. As for synoptics, I would revise a few just in case you get a question you don't like for one of the kings. You can only choose two out of three so I still would, plus it is more about breadth than depth and I think that is easier. Eleanor of Aquitaine came up as the synoptic last year so might miss her out.
Reply 2
do you have any guesses for the breadth question?
Original post by questiron
do you have any guesses for the breadth question?

Synoptic is the breadth question, the other two are about depth on one king's reign. Looking at the past papers (our teacher printed all of them out for us), I would personally revise the church and the empire for the synoptic, as anti-semitism and Eleanor of Aquitaine is the other two they've used and come up most recently, but that is my personal opinion :smile:
I reckon a synoptic Magna Carta question might come up, and I'm praying for a Great Rebellion or Becket. Although if destabilisation under Richard, or even success of his reign would be okay 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OwlMagic153
I reckon a synoptic Magna Carta question might come up, and I'm praying for a Great Rebellion or Becket. Although if destabilisation under Richard, or even success of his reign would be okay 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think a synoptic on Magna Carta can come up, they haven't done so so far and have tended to repeat the style of questions. As it is the last year I think they would change the style that much and it would be a difficult question to answer in that format without focusing on John. But I do agree it should be Becket or Great Rebellion for Henry II
Reply 6
What sort of a Becket question could come up though, apart from whether the dispute was caused by personality or principles?
Original post by j21600
What sort of a Becket question could come up though, apart from whether the dispute was caused by personality or principles?

Two Becket questions have come up before, that one on personality or principles and this one:
'The consequences of Thomas Becket's death were a victory for King Henry II.' Assess the validity of this view with reference to the years 1170 to 1179.

This was on the first ever paper.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'd really like for a consequences question to come up, like if it was a victory for Henry or the Church, but I suppose causes wouldn't be too bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone got any ideas for a synoptic Church question? I've been trying to plan it but haven't got very far...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone got any ideas for a synoptic Church question? I've been trying to plan it but haven't got very far...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well the only one that has come up is:
'The Angevin Kings were successful in achieving their aims in relation to the English Church in the years 1154 to 1216.' Assess the validity of this view.

Usually they seem to take the same idea and format of the questions and just put a different angle on it, so they might say they were not successful and to assess that.
Original post by Charliefen
Well the only one that has come up is:
'The Angevin Kings were successful in achieving their aims in relation to the English Church in the years 1154 to 1216.' Assess the validity of this view.

Usually they seem to take the same idea and format of the questions and just put a different angle on it, so they might say they were not successful and to assess that.

Yeah I went with that, but they all had different aims and the structure I'm used to doing just doesn't fit. I think if it comes up I'm just gonna do another question. (Unless the Jews or Eleanor is either of them because our teacher decided we didn't need to know about them)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I went with that, but they all had different aims and the structure I'm used to doing just doesn't fit. I think if it comes up I'm just gonna do another question. (Unless the Jews or Eleanor is either of them because our teacher decided we didn't need to know about them)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry it is late as I didn't see you replied, but the main aim of the majority of England's rulers was to have influence over the church and do anything to stop it. So for example both Henry II and John wanted to be able to appoint whoever they wanted as archbishop and the failure of Henry's Constitutions of Clarendon and Johnms submission to Pope Innocent III undermined this. Anyway, good luck with tomorrow!
Reply 13
What did you guys think of that exam?
Which questions did you do?
Original post by MMMMM22
What did you guys think of that exam?
Which questions did you do?

I thought it was really good, exactly as I predicted! I did the Henry II and Becket question over whether criminous clerks caused the dispute and whether the government was disrupted during Richard's reign due to his absences. Knew Richard I was due to come up :smile: after all John was on the last three
Reply 15
Original post by Charliefen
I thought it was really good, exactly as I predicted! I did the Henry II and Becket question over whether criminous clerks caused the dispute and whether the government was disrupted during Richard's reign due to his absences. Knew Richard I was due to come up :smile: after all John was on the last three

Did you find the phrasing of the question weird?
What points did you put for causing dispute? Did you mention like becket excommunicating, Henry's actions such as trying him in court and also crowning of young Henry
Reply 16
What did you guys write for Richard essay?
Original post by MMMMM22
What did you guys write for Richard essay?

I did the Richard essay and Baronial rebellion essay. For Richard I put that the government was considerably disrupted, then counter-argued it with Hubert Walter, Countances etc, then argued that it wasn't political disruption, it was financial disruption due to Richard bleeding the country dry, and did a paragraph on some other stuff. My teacher seemed to think that was right but I'm not too sure...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did becket & baronial rebellion question - am worried I didn't write enough for rebellion question. I did: It was oppressive kings - needed to limit power of Angevin despotism because there was no benchmark for their authority and added the clauses I.e 61 and then did the church and unlaw land seizing and added that finance could apply to Richard. Then just countered it with John's financial exploitation, the fact he was constantly present & his harsh treatment of individual barons. Worried I should have done his selective distribution of reward and office relating to clause 50. And that I didn't go into enough detail on Henry's legal reforms
Reply 19
I am in the same boat as you... I thought what I did was right but not sure I answered right question.I said that there was little political dispute because of henry excellent appointments of government ensuring it was well run, excellent diplomacy ensuring england would not get invaded and finally like changes to legal reforms. and that there was political dispute due to bankrupting of angevin lands and poor decisions by Richard such as bad appointments and fail to produce heir which caused political and financial instability for government and in future.Idk what do you guys think of that?Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest