The Student Room Group

AQA HIS3N- Aspects of International Relations 2016

Scroll to see replies

Best of luck :smile:
Good luck everyone!

My teacher predicted early cold war, Cuban missile crisis and detente breath question spanning into post cold war relations.
Reply 62
How did everyone find it?! I loved the first two questions and found I had too much to say so ran out of time. Did question one and two.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
For number 1 I put:
+ Truman Doctrine, US atomic monopoly and Truman's attitude in Potsdam.

- I put Stalin violated promises at Yalta, Berlin Blockade and Soviet expanisionism.

For 2 I put:
+ Krushchevs foreign policy, peaceful coexistence and Austrian State treaty

- I put Cuban Missile Crisis, Build up of Russian Power and Hungry & Poland

Does this sound about right? Anyone put anything similar?!
Original post by Jkp98
For number 1 I put:
+ Truman Doctrine, US atomic monopoly and Truman's attitude in Potsdam.

- I put Stalin violated promises at Yalta, Berlin Blockade and Soviet expanisionism.

For 2 I put:
+ Krushchevs foreign policy, peaceful coexistence and Austrian State treaty

- I put Cuban Missile Crisis, Build up of Russian Power and Hungry & Poland

Does this sound about right? Anyone put anything similar?!

i also answered these questions and put similar things!

1 i put:
+Truman Doctrine, atomic diplomacy and Marshall Plan
- Soviet expansionsim and ideological differences made conflict inevitable

2 i put:
+ khurschev's policy of PC, willing to let relations with china deteriorate in favour of developing relations with america, austrian state treaty and attempts made at the paris summit
- geneva summit, build up of the arms race, berlin wall (however turned this round to say it eased tensions and there was no other alternative) and cuban missiles
I answered the second one as if it was successes and failures, which has lost me any hope of getting an A overall
Did anyone attempt question 3?
Did anyone do question 3?

I think this was one of the best exams I've ever sat and I actually really enjoyed answering the questions as sad as that may sound haha.

I talked about Iraq in 2003, aggressive defense strategies in 1st gulf war + Afghanistan and violation of detente for arguments against liberalism. - I also chucked in the petro dollar for Iraq.

For liberalism, I talked about concessions made during detente, Reagan's second term and intervention in areas which had no strategic interest.

I ran out of time for the last paragraph on intervention in areas which had no strategic interest so I prioritised my conclusion and bullet pointed it out underneath. How many marks would I lose?

Q1 - My arguments for Truman being responsible were, his personality, nuclear diplomacy and containment.
My arguments against Truman were the USSR's distrust of the US illustrated by the Novikov telegram and the USSR's imperialism.
(edited 7 years ago)
Did question 1 and 2

Q1:

KLG
Marshall Plan
Truman Doctrine
Soviet expansionism , e.g Bulgaria and Czechoslovakia
Orthodox and Revisionist views form Gaddis and Williams
Argued that Truman was responsible for divide
Alternative interpretations: Divide was inevitable as the Grand alliance which was separated exposed the idealogical differences resulting in the shift to an east-west configuration.

Q2: Bit harder and i think i didnt have enough detail

Argued Khrushechev's policies fluctuated due to the pragmatic nature of his central doctrine of ' Peaceful Co-existence'

Spoke about Austrian State treaty , Geneva Summit , Hungarian revolution going against declaration of liberated states , Cuban Missile crisis

Third stand: Stated the fluctuation in consistency may have been due to the fact Khrushchev's policies were retaliatory:
Jupiter missiles in Turkey / Uprising had to be crushed etc

Overall it was a pretty good paper , hoping to secure an A* #

Inshallah
Do you know if there is an unofficial markscheme?
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Did question 1 and 2

Q1:

KLG
Marshall Plan
Truman Doctrine
Soviet expansionism , e.g Bulgaria and Czechoslovakia
Orthodox and Revisionist views form Gaddis and Williams
Argued that Truman was responsible for divide
Alternative interpretations: Divide was inevitable as the Grand alliance which was separated exposed the idealogical differences resulting in the shift to an east-west configuration.

Q2: Bit harder and i think i didnt have enough detail

Argued Khrushechev's policies fluctuated due to the pragmatic nature of his central doctrine of ' Peaceful Co-existence'

Spoke about Austrian State treaty , Geneva Summit , Hungarian revolution going against declaration of liberated states , Cuban Missile crisis

Third stand: Stated the fluctuation in consistency may have been due to the fact Khrushchev's policies were retaliatory:
Jupiter missiles in Turkey / Uprising had to be crushed etc

Overall it was a pretty good paper , hoping to secure an A* #

Inshallah

So did you tackle the question as to how far Khrushchev was committed to his own policies or how far he was committed to relations with the US
Original post by LydiaIsaacs
So did you tackle the question as to how far Khrushchev was committed to his own policies or how far he was committed to relations with the US

Think the question was about consistency of his foreign polices , so my points were mainly about his relations to the us , the Hungarian revolution is domestic but it linked to the declaration of liberated states so i included it.
I did Question One and Question Three.

It was OK - not a fan of this unit at all.
Reply 73
I forgot Austrian State Treaty of 55. Damn! I wrote about NATO, Marshall Plan, Soviet Expansionism, Cominform and Comecon and Issues over divisions Germany from Yalta and Potsdam in Q1.
I wrote about Geneva, Open Skies,Sputnik, ICBM, Paris, Berlin Wall ,CMC(didn't finish) but I said the change was initially he was willing to cooperate but Open Skies changed his view to turn to aggression, but ultimately PC was a facade so that the Soviets could develop their nuclear arsenal.
Reply 74
Original post by TWeeks
I forgot Austrian State Treaty of 55. Damn! I wrote about NATO, Marshall Plan, Soviet Expansionism, Cominform and Comecon and Issues over divisions Germany from Yalta and Potsdam in Q1.
I wrote about Geneva, Open Skies,Sputnik, ICBM, Paris, Berlin Wall ,CMC(didn't finish) but I said the change was initially he was willing to cooperate but Open Skies changed his view to turn to aggression, but ultimately PC was a facade so that the Soviets could develop their nuclear arsenal.

I did question 1 and 2 too.
Q1- I did Issues between the lack of consensus in Yalta, used historians Gaddis and Bailey; Gaddis to say that it was conflicting ideologies and Bailey to partially blame Soviet expansionism. I also did the Marshal Plan, Truman doctrine, the construction of Bizonia and USA strengthening economy/rebuilding Germany which opposed SU intentions so retaliated with the Berlin Blockade- a physical division due to conflicting intentions.
Q2- Austrian State, Geneva/OpenSkies, Sputnik, Position in 62, Camp David 1959 and CMC (I also didn't finish) my ultimate argument was arguing the fluctuation of Krushchev's commitment to peaceful co-existence was inconsistent throughout the years due to Krushchev's aggressive nature and persistence to establish himself as a dominant force.
What questions did people end up doing on the exam? I picked totally different ones to everyone else in my history group 😥

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending