The Student Room Group

Latin A2 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Does anyone know what marks are generally needed to achieve an A*. I know its 90% UMS but average raw marks?
OCR's UMS converter says that 90% for either of the A2 papers over the past few years has been between 76/100 and 80/100 raw
How did everyone find it?
I thought it was going okay until the thing about the closely guarded and then the thing about the nuts 😁😁😁 how did you find it? I'm kinda terrified I've messed up my grade

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 584
Original post by Phoebus Apollo
How did everyone find it?

Translation some bits really hard other bits not too bad. Grammar was hard I found. Tacitus first 25 marker good, second meh not so good. Does anyone know where to find the passage online? And does everyone else run out of paper, I had to use three answer books:/
Yep I found the passage brb

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gracchus simply watched Casilinum, for the Dictator had given strict orders that no active operations should be undertaken in his absence. He therefore kept quiet, though the reports from Casilinum might easily have been too much for any man's patience. It was stated as a fact that some, unable to endure starvation any longer, had flung themselves from the walls, others had stood there unarmed and exposed their defenceless bodies to the missiles of the enemy. These tidings sorely tried his patience, for he durst not fight against the Dictator's orders, and he saw that he would have to fight if he were seen getting corn into the place, and there was no chance of getting it in without being seen. He gathered in a supply of corn from all the fields round and filled a number of casks with it, and then sent a messenger to the chief magistrate at Casilinum asking him to pick up the casks which the river carried down. The next night, while all were intently watching the river, after their hopes had been raised by the Roman messenger, the casks floated down in the middle of the stream; and the corn was divided in equal shares amongst them all. The same thing happened on the two following days; they were sent off by night and reached their destination; so far they had escaped the notice of the enemy. Then, owing to the perpetual rain, the river became more rapid than usual and the cross currents carried the casks to the bank which the enemy were guarding. They caught sight of them as they stuck amongst the osier beds which grew on the bank and a report was made to Hannibal in consequence of which greater caution was observed and a closer watch was kept, so that nothing could be sent by the Vulturnus to the city without being detected. Nuts, however, were scattered on the river from the Roman camp; these floated down the mid-stream and were caught in baskets. At last things came to such a pitch that the inhabitants tried to chew the leather straps and hides which they tore from their shields, after softening them in boiling water, nor did they refuse mice and other animals; they even dug up from the bottom of their walls grass and roots of all sorts. When the enemy had ploughed up all the grass outside the walls they sowed it with rape, which made Hannibal exclaim: "Am I to sit here before Casilinum until these seeds have grown?"

This is the translation I found online- (looking up Livy Romans Carthaginians nuts does help apparently)
Literally the second part of the translation was really really hard! And I agree with you, the grammar was difficult compared to the last papers. What did you guys get? I did Pliny so I can't really comment on Tacitus :/
Original post by Megh01
Translation some bits really hard other bits not too bad. Grammar was hard I found. Tacitus first 25 marker good, second meh not so good. Does anyone know where to find the passage online? And does everyone else run out of paper, I had to use three answer books:/

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/txt/ah/Livy/Livy23.html
Follow the link, it's at like 23.19
I know what you mean, I had the same problem with the Tacitus - typical the chose the very last section, which they know some people wouldn't have looked at as thoroughly :frown:
I thought the translation was okay overall, but definitely some areas I misinterpreted. What do you think the boundaries would be for an A*?
Reply 588
Anyone do the english to latin? Was it just me or were there no/barely any subjunctives?
http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/txt/ah/Livy/Livy23.html
Follow the link, it's at like 23.19
I know what you mean, I had the same problem with the Tacitus - typical the chose the very last section, which they know some people wouldn't have looked at as thoroughly :frown:
I thought the translation was okay overall, but definitely some areas I misinterpreted. What do you think the boundaries would be for an A*?

I hope the boundaries are really low for an A* - I'm glad you guys didn't find it very easy though otherwise I'd be even more terrified. Hopefully like 75-80 like they discussed above otherwise I might not get my uni place 😫

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also is it just me or was it a message/messenger which had been sent to the citizens (rather than specifically the chief magistrate as the online translation suggests)?
Original post by Sophiestudies
I hope the boundaries are really low for an A* - I'm glad you guys didn't find it very easy though otherwise I'd be even more terrified. Hopefully like 75-80 like they discussed above otherwise I might not get my uni place 😫

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure it will be fine! Try not to stress about it, you have leeway to lose 10 marks on the translation and 10 marks on the essays, which is quite a lot and I'm sure you won't! Do u specifically need an A * in Latin?
I'm sure it will be fine! Try not to stress about it, you have leeway to lose 10 marks on the translation and 10 marks on the essays, which is quite a lot and I'm sure you won't! Do u specifically need an A * in Latin?

I hope so- although I think I may have lost more than 10 on the translation.
Btw, if anyone wants to know, I found the Latin and for the last question it's a future participle of sedo??
Yeah I have to get an A* in Latin so I honestly don't know if I'll make it- hopefully Tuesday's exam was better than I thought haha 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
I hope so- although I think I may have lost more than 10 on the translation.
Btw, if anyone wants to know, I found the Latin and for the last question it's a future participle of sedo??
Yeah I have to get an A* in Latin so I honestly don't know if I'll make it- hopefully Tuesday's exam was better than I thought haha 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol dw I did not put sedo! For importandi did you put gerundive?
Remember if you get the general gist of the sentence for the translate the give you 3 or 4 marks, so don't worry :smile: if you don't mind me asking, if this for Classics at cambridge or something?
Lol dw I did not put sedo! For importandi did you put gerundive?
Remember if you get the general gist of the sentence for the translate the give you 3 or 4 marks, so don't worry :smile: if you don't mind me asking, if this for Classics at cambridge or something?

Yea I put gerundive!! Yeah it's for a top uni so I have to be really good :/ plus I have to learn Greek as well so they probably want your Latin to be perfect. Okay I hope they give me general gist marks haha 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yea I put gerundive!! Yeah it's for a top uni so I have to be really good :/ plus I have to learn Greek as well so they probably want your Latin to be perfect. Okay I hope they give me general gist marks haha 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yay! 😂 At least it's over 👍🏻 Cool! Are you going to a greek summer school?
Yes I am! Are you? Should we talk about this on a pm haha?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes I am! Are you? Should we talk about this on a pm haha?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem i sent u a pm :smile:
Original post by EdChap
Anyone do the english to latin? Was it just me or were there no/barely any subjunctives?

I think I put a couple of subjunctives in - one for a (lol this is blocked but the word for with/when/since) clause and one for a sub-oblique within indirect statement. But the beauty of prose comp is that there a lots of ways of saying the same thing so dw if you didn't get any subjunctives in.
(edited 7 years ago)
I am so horrified that apparently there was a question where you had to say importandi was a gerund - I did not read it clearly, as I just remember translating it...

Apart from that I am completely thrilled as the unseen passage was one I had done before! And not just done before but done last night! It was really lucky - I could not believe my eyes when I opened the paper. It did throw me a bit though because I started to write my translation from last night and then realised they had heavily adapted it so I'm not sure how much it will have helped... It does show though that it's worth doing as much practice as you can and knowing as many stories as you can because it might just come up!

But just to warn that it was HEAVILY adapted so do not worry if the translations you find online do not look like what you wrote down.

As for Pliny I thought the first question was a bit mean but the second question, on the dolphin, was the question of my dreams - really easy question on my favourite passage of my favourite letter.

The first Pliny really was horrible though, I just think that particular passage is so boring and devoid of style, and it's so self centred of Pliny to write an obituary by talking about how the dead person honoured him, supported him for public office, complimented him etc... Pliny, dear, this is supposed to be about Verginius, not everything is about you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending