The Student Room Group

Depending on your husband for money in 2016 is deplorable

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Lol at everyone's knowledge of how hard being a housewife is.

I think the prerequisite for a valid opinion on that front is actually looking after children and a house full time.

Well done for hitting the nail on the head. Having friends with young children, I have a lot of sympathy for those who have to look after kids and the house 24/7. Even more sympathy for those who have to juggle work and the kids.
the traditional housewife has never really gone away but is now more popular than ever...

pfft all these women on TSR airing their views like they're important...

get off TSR and make me a sandwich, chemting is hungry!

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
It's so nice hearing men explaining how we should live and conduct ourselves on threads like this. We get so little guidance from men normally, so it's a huge relief.

I have to go back to work now, the lack of a superindulgent rich-but-dim husband to indulge my every whim has forced me to thrust my frail self into the horrid world of work.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It's so nice hearing men explaining how we should live and conduct ourselves on threads like this. We get so little guidance from men normally, so it's a huge relief.

I have to go back to work now, the lack of a superindulgent rich-but-dim husband to indulge my every whim has forced me to thrust my frail self into the horrid world of work.

once you have settled down you will appreciate the bliss of domesticity... :h:

Original post by the bear
once you have settled down you will appreciate the bliss of domesticity... :h:

Well, it is the modern way - all the newfangled authors like Jane Austen and Mrs Beaton recommend it.
Well, it is the modern way - all the newfangled authoresses like Jane Austen and Mrs Beaton recommend it.

it is preferable for a lady not to wield a pen herself; the ink is very unsightly on delicate white skin. instead an amanuensis should be employed to record your thoughts.
Original post by Serine Soul
I agree.

And as for people who say being a housewife is hard...lol

There are men and women out there who can actually do both, work for a steady household income and take care of the kids and house. And nowadays, with all the advances in technology, household work is barely hard.

Ffs all you need to do is shove some clothes in a box to clean them and dry them, and run a stick around your home for at most half an hour a day to keep it dirt free.

I think housewives are just lazy and I hate how there's a 'homemaker' option on official forms etc. They're bloody unemployed that's what

adjectiveadjective: unemployed

(of a person) without a paid job but available to work.

If they've chosen to be a housewife they're not 'available to work' so no, they're not unemployed.
the traditional housewife has never really gone away but is now more popular than ever...

You seem to enjoy the idea of women being housewives :tongue:
Not that there's anything wrong with that

Lol a quick look at your profile shows me that you have had one of the largest silver spoons that I've ever seen.

Anyway this isn't a debate as to whether being a housewife is hard or not. What I should've specified is that I'm referring to people who have no desire to work, and then choose to be a housewife just so they can laze around all day and somebody who's had the exact same opportunities as them, has to work their butt off to support said lazy person.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HAnwar
Lol who are you to tell a woman how to live her life.

It's quite pathetic how you're putting housewives down and generalising them all, when in fact their job is harder than most jobs.

There are plenty of men who would prefer their wives to be housewives, so if both husband and wife are happy, then I don't see what your problem is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What makes it so difficult (unless they have like 10 children or a child with an illness/disability that requires full time care)?

OP: I don't have a problem with housewives. If both the husband and the wife are happy with their decision then I don't think anyone can tell them what is right or wrong. If it works for them then so be it.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Lol at everyone's knowledge of how hard being a housewife is.

I think the prerequisite for a valid opinion on that front is actually looking after children and a house full time.

OP wouldn't last two minutes....
Original post by queen-bee
You seem to enjoy the idea of women being housewives :tongue:
Not that there's anything wrong with that

beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I'm back :wink:
Original post by queen-bee
I'm back :wink:

:bee: is back :kiss:

:rave::girl::ymca::dance::ymca::girl::rave:
There's nothing wrong with a woman deciding to be a housewife, it's their own choice. (Also looking after the kids and managing the house 24/7 isn't easy). I get your point about some woman only marrying for money and how that's wrong, but tbh I'm not surprised women look at a mans income (among other things) when considering to be with them or not.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zayn is Bae
Lol a quick look at your profile shows me that you have had one of the largest silver spoons that I've ever seen.

She had a pony called Mr Bumble. fact.
Nothing wrong with wanting your partner to be financially independent. Whether they desire the same off you is their business.

Faking interest to obtain money is a completely different matter however.

it is preferable for a lady not to wield a pen herself; the ink is very unsightly on delicate white skin. instead an amanuensis should be employed to record your thoughts.

As a female, I was not taught to think sufficient to the task of writing a missive. I must therefore pray that the pen guides itself 'pon the parchment.
She had a pony called Mr Bumble. fact.

Ponies. Plural.

We have this book at home by an odd coincidence.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silver-Spoon-Cookery-Phaidon/dp/0714862452

Quick Reply

Latest