The Student Room Group

A2 - Edexcel Psychology June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mac.Doll
Anyonehave model answer for ethnocentrism as a 18marker???

I don't have a model answer but here are some of my notes!! ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465489148.270739.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mac.Doll
Anyonehave model answer for ethnocentrism as a 18marker???

I also saw this on a thread for unit 4 from last year:
ethnocentrism is when you interpret results based on ones culture.
Cross culturally social norms differ, which can lead to issues for example with diagnosis and interoperation of results.
This is because we interpret results based on our own cultural norms that are affected by our schema (Bartlett) and whilst some cultures are similar others are very different.

-collectivist cultures celebrate group success which are usually eastern cultures.
-Individualistic cultures (usually western cultures) celebrate independent success.
-Being focused on ones own culture- bias you interpret things in a way that e.g benefits your culture.
-most psychological research is carried out in western cultures such as the UK and the USA

+Can help to study nature/ nurture as it shows which behaviours are innate across all cultures and which cultures are learned
+All research must start somewhere for it to be research.
+ Treatment therapies can be applied and generalised across different cultures such as drug treatments for mental disorder
+Cross cultural research can help overcome ethnocentric bias e.g Meeus and raajmakers took place in Holland (different to the USA) when testing obedience
+some ethnocentric bias can be overcome by ethnography. This is where you immerse yourself in a culture, adopting their social norms and becoming part of it to reduce bias.
X however, there still may be some limitations to ethnography such as language barriers
X difficult to overcome ethnocentric bias as for example when put together the differences that may be important in the data are lost
X Interpretation of data is affected by our schema and cultural norms making it difficult to overcome ethnocentric bias
X Difficult to compare studies from different cultures
X Attachment for example takes a very ethnocentric view by saying one form of attachment is correct because that is what is most common in the USA and UK in 'strange situation' tests, as this is affected by learning and our cultural norms as collectivist cultures such as china have strong attachment whereas more individualistic cultures such as Germany show much less as babies are more used to being left with others and strangers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by baebae
GUYS IM FREAKING OUT
WHAT IF I DID NOT TICK THE BOXES???????? will they still mark the paper????????

Did unit 3 last year as well forgot to tick the boxes and they still marked my answers, so I am pretty sure they won't ignore it. (obviously made the same mistake again this year lol )
Original post by Jablonski
Question about crim: was the question asking us to come up with the procedure of a field study that would test the testimony of old and young people?

I essentially replicated Yarmey and classed my participants into 2 groups dpeending on whether they were young or old.

Dumb question but want to make sure I answered it correctly.

yeah, I did the same thing; I guess there one of those questions where they word it weirdly to catch us out.
Has anyone got any notes on Nature vs Nurture / Is Psychology A Science? Thank youuuu X
Reply 345
I was rushing when I read the criminal 12 marker so I simply just described and evaluated SLT but included a comparison with EPT in the evaluation. Could I still potentially get 6/7?:frown:
Original post by Kkavina
I was rushing when I read the criminal 12 marker so I simply just described and evaluated SLT but included a comparison with EPT in the evaluation. Could I still potentially get 6/7?:frown:

Well if your AO1 is solid then yeah that's realistic :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kkavina

If you made 6 good AO1 points, you'll get 6

If you only made 1 comparison (like me cos I ran out of time and went blank), don't expect 7+
Original post by sophia.lega
Has anyone got any notes on Nature vs Nurture / Is Psychology A Science? Thank youuuu X

Attached my notes on these on the page before :smile: Don't worry TOO much about nature nurture because it was one of 2015's 18 markers so it won't be worth much if anything this year.
What studies are you all doing for research methods? I just had a thought that maybe I could do loftus and Palmer for questionnaires but I wasn't sure, can't ask my teacher because he is useless agh what's everyone else doing?:tongue:
Original post by beccyyyy
What studies are you all doing for research methods? I just had a thought that maybe I could do loftus and Palmer for questionnaires but I wasn't sure, can't ask my teacher because he is useless agh what's everyone else doing?:tongue:

Lab - Milgram
Field - Hofling
Naturalistic - Charlton
Case Studies - Genie
Content Analysis - Cumberbatch and Gauntlett
Correlations - Craft et al
Questionnaires - Mumford and Whitehouse
Interviews - Goldstein
Observations - Bandura

I think those are all the research methods? ☺️
Lab - Milgram
Field - Hofling
Naturalistic - Charlton
Case Studies - Genie
Interviews - Goldstein
Observations - Bandura

Those are the ones in the a2 textbook right? Most of mine are similar, I just don't want to do boyd and munroe because I didn't do sport. Thank you 😊
Lab - Milgram
Field - Hofling
Naturalistic - Charlton
Case Studies - Genie
Interviews - Goldstein
Observations - Bandura

Original post by beccyyyy
Those are the ones in the a2 textbook right? Most of mine are similar, I just don't want to do boyd and munroe because I didn't do sport. Thank you 😊

Are you actually doing research methods? :lol:

There has never been a question asking for an exemplar study for a research method, and if one comes up I will just use what I know like
Lab - loftus+palmer
Field - yuille and cutshall
Natural - charlton
Observation - ainsworth
Content analysis - my practical
Case study - Genie
Reply 353
Anyone else feeling overwhelmed by the content for unit 4? I've pretty much covered everything in revision and now I'm at a bit of a loss- looking at past exam papers just seems to bring on panic mode for this paper haha. I still can't seem to get all the detail they expect in the answers and still finish in time! Anyone else have the same issues with timing? I've done a lot of revision but I just feel like it hasn't gone in. :frown:
Original post by LA2543
Anyone else feeling overwhelmed by the content for unit 4? I've pretty much covered everything in revision and now I'm at a bit of a loss- looking at past exam papers just seems to bring on panic mode for this paper haha. I still can't seem to get all the detail they expect in the answers and still finish in time! Anyone else have the same issues with timing? I've done a lot of revision but I just feel like it hasn't gone in. :frown:

I don't know anyone who has said they've been able to finish the paper in time, you'd think edexcel would give us more time considering the very few people who actually do finish it.. I wouldn't worry about finishing it, just make sure the rest of your answers are good enough.. I've been told that the grade boundaries are always low on the paper because it's so hard to finish

Posted from TSR Mobile
does anyone have notes for explanations of phobias? please can someone help me
Reply 356
Original post by DarceyKuypers
I don't know anyone who has said they've been able to finish the paper in time, you'd think edexcel would give us more time considering the very few people who actually do finish it.. I wouldn't worry about finishing it, just make sure the rest of your answers are good enough.. I've been told that the grade boundaries are always low on the paper because it's so hard to finish

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks you! I feel better knowing I'm not the only one who can't get through the whole paper in 2 hours, I really despise edexcel at the moment :angry:
Original post by lauraEdexcel
does anyone have notes for explanations of phobias? please can someone help me

I haven't written any notes because it's easy.

First explanation is Learning: learn phobia via classical conditioning (NS->CS) and it is maintained via operant conditioning through avoidant behaviour

Second explanation is Psychodynamic: repress harmful thoughts into the unconscious so they don't harm you, then displace the unconscious energy onto either a symbolic or innocuous object
Which study are people doing as their study in detail for schizophrenia? Is it ok to do Gottesman & Shields?
Reply 359
Original post by psychemma
Which study are people doing as their study in detail for schizophrenia? Is it ok to do Gottesman & Shields?

I'm using Gottesman & Shields for twin studies as a research method and Goldstein as the study in detail if that helps??? It doesn't say you can't use it in the spec, just says one study about schizophrenia so I reckon if that's the one you remember best do that one!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending