The Student Room Group

Latin A2 Thread

Scroll to see replies

I just desperately want them to release the paper now so I can see if there are any other questions I misread and did not answer...

Also dw, I think hardly anyone will have gotten sessurus... We all skim over sedeo in vocab lists because we think we have known it since we were 11 and we never realise we don't actually know all of its principle parts...

Did everyone else put detrahere for detractas? My logic was that it was de + traho trahere tractus
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 601
I put gerund for importandi:/ Was the grammar question about why is conaretur or something is subjunctive as it was a result clause? And was the other (can't remember the word) a future active participle the one ending in -urus?
I put result clause for conarentur and I also put future active participle :smile: I wasn't sure how specific you had to be though, I put future participle then crossed it out and put future active participle then crossed that out and put masculine nominative singular future active participle XD
Dammit i put future passive for sessurus! Grah!
But i put sedere down for the infinitive
Original post by actrice
I just desperately want them to release the paper now so I can see if there are any other questions I misread and did not answer...

Also dw, I think hardly anyone will have gotten sessurus... We all skim over sedeo in vocab lists because we think we have known it since we were 11 and we never realise we don't actually know all of its principle parts...

Did everyone else put detrahere for detractas? My logic was that it was de + traho trahere tractus

oh i put detractare
._.
What did people but for the inopiae question?
Reply 606
Original post by Phoebus Apollo
What did people but for the inopiae question?

was that the one ad id inopiae or something? I think I put it was accusative as it follows ad
Original post by Megh01
was that the one ad id inopiae or something? I think I put it was accusative as it follows ad

Yeah i wasnt sure, but i put partitive genitive lol 😂
Original post by Phoebus Apollo
Yeah i wasnt sure, but i put partitive genitive lol 😂

I also put that hahaha
Yeah pretty sure it was partitive genitive! I was considering maybe it was dative if impersonal passive ventum takes the dative, but it turns out it doesn't, so it surely must've been partitive gen.

Did ANYONE get sedere...?

I spent like 5 minutes trying to figure out what I should write in the margin as the question number for i)i) and i)ii) lol... trickiest part of the exam, had me so confused
Original post by actrice
Yeah pretty sure it was partitive genitive! I was considering maybe it was dative if impersonal passive ventum takes the dative, but it turns out it doesn't, so it surely must've been partitive gen.

Did ANYONE get sedere...?

I spent like 5 minutes trying to figure out what I should write in the margin as the question number for i)i) and i)ii) lol... trickiest part of the exam, had me so confused

I did! Literally wrote sedere down in the last 2 minutes of the exam but wasnt too sure
what did people get for 'aqua'? i put ablative instrument
Reply 612
Original post by tilly5798
what did people get for 'aqua'? i put ablative instrument

I just put ablative and then translated the aqua calida which I think is all that's required ?
Anyone do the prose comp? I couldn't think of words for 'game' or 'compete', but other than that I thought it was quite alright.
Original post by actrice

Yes, I put detrahere too:smile:

So annoyed with myself for forgetting tye infinitive of sedo!! Oh well, nothing can be done now!

Not sure if I missed this above, but I put importandi as a gerundive, did anyone else think the same?
Original post by actrice
I am so horrified that apparently there was a question where you had to say importandi was a gerund - I did not read it clearly, as I just remember translating it...

Apart from that I am completely thrilled as the unseen passage was one I had done before! And not just done before but done last night! It was really lucky - I could not believe my eyes when I opened the paper. It did throw me a bit though because I started to write my translation from last night and then realised they had heavily adapted it so I'm not sure how much it will have helped... It does show though that it's worth doing as much practice as you can and knowing as many stories as you can because it might just come up!

But just to warn that it was HEAVILY adapted so do not worry if the translations you find online do not look like what you wrote down.

As for Pliny I thought the first question was a bit mean but the second question, on the dolphin, was the question of my dreams - really easy question on my favourite passage of my favourite letter.

The first Pliny really was horrible though, I just think that particular passage is so boring and devoid of style, and it's so self centred of Pliny to write an obituary by talking about how the dead person honoured him, supported him for public office, complimented him etc... Pliny, dear, this is supposed to be about Verginius, not everything is about you!

I was really happy with the second Pliny question too...I'd written an essay on pretty much just the same themes/stylistic devices not long ago.
Don't worry about importandi and missing out that it was a gerundive, it's just one mark and your understanding of the story must have been so good I'm sure it'll make up for it.:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Rather odd that the Livy passage was one that is used (heavily adapted, but still used) in Latin Beyond GCSE, probably the most popular textbook for A level study... I thought the story looked a bit familiar!

The prose comp looked quite tricky, though - hope people doing that have got on okay.

Pliny questions were a gift; huge amounts to say on both of them, and I can't imagine anyone has studied or taught the dolphin letter without doing that sort of style question as practice. How were the Tacitus questions, for those who studied it?
Was it just me that found the comprehension and parsing the hardest parts of the whole exam? I can think of at least 4 marks of dropped, 1 on the 1st question, 1 for inopiae and 2 for the sedeo word at the end hahaha
I hadn't got clue which verb 'sessurus' came from, but by some random impulse put 'sedere'. I think it was because the German verb 'to sit' behaves in a similar way. Proto-Indo-European to the rescue! :tongue: I also thought that 'inopinae' was a partitive genitive, and 'aqua' and ablative of means.
Reply 619
Original post by Age-Quod-Agis
Anyone do the prose comp? I couldn't think of words for 'game' or 'compete', but other than that I thought it was quite alright.

I did the prose comp, thought it was tricky but not impossible. Do you remember the sentence with compete in it? I can't remember translating it and have this terrible worry that I missed it altogether 😱.

On another note, I thought the Tacitus essays were pretty nice as far as Tacitus goes.

Quick Reply