The Student Room Group

Edexcel: From kaiser to fuhrer 1900-1945, his03/d exam friday 10th june 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 680
Original post by XiuXiu
feeling a little nervous about doing separate paragraphs on Nazi suppression of opposition now since everybody else just split it into groups. Oh well, no point worrying now

I did a separate paragraph on the Nazis' use of terror in suppressing opposition too, I think it should be fine! And like you said, there's no point worrying now! JUST THANK GOODNESS IT'S OVER!!!
Do you think it was okay to say that Goebells February 1943 total war speech led to less opposing the nazi regime as it motivated germans rather than make them hostile to the regime???
I answered the Nazi opposition question for Part A, and the German aggression question for Part B.

I structured my Part A with the following paragraphs:

P1: Opposition
P2: Nazi reactions to opposition
P3: Implementation of fear/terror
P4: Role of Hitler
P5: Support for the regime
Worst exam of my life. I never would have guessed the second reich would come up again. Guys someone please tell me, if I got a high C last year in A2 and a high c/low b in coursework this year, and I'm thinking i got an at least an e probably in this exam (dont want to guess too generously as I barely answers section a although I wrote loads for section b but don't know if it's any good) what would this bring me into grade wise? Really gutted...
Original post by Zooloo
I did a separate paragraph on the Nazis' use of terror in suppressing opposition too, I think it should be fine! And like you said, there's no point worrying now! JUST THANK GOODNESS IT'S OVER!!!

I did this too. I think it's fine.
Original post by aimbx
Same! Buzzing, opposition was the thing I really wanted to come up! What did you put?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I structured my essay in the following way:

P1: Opposition
P2: Nazi reactions to opposition
P3: Implementation of fear/terror
P4: Role of Hitler
P5: Support for the regime
Original post by aimbx
Same! Buzzing, opposition was the thing I really wanted to come up! What did you put?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I split the essay into paragraphs on the Church/Youth/Left-Wing/Conservatives

For the Church part I talked about Galen and the Crucifix crisis but mentioned how opposition was essentially just loyal reluctance pushed to the limit and how opposition was also generally individual and not institutional.

For the Youth I mentioned Edelweiss pirates/White Rose groups... and about how their leaders ended up being killed, I did a similar sort of thing for the Left-Wing paragraph and also made a point about how Left Wing groups were susceptible to gestapo infiltration.

Then finally for the Conservative paragraph I talked about the right wing groups and how mainly they acted too late and didn't have a proper plan on how they were actually going to remove the Nazis from power, I then also mentioned the 1944 bomb plot and it's lack of support.

Hopefully it all went well and I'll get the A that I need in history. :biggrin:
This certainly makes me feel better after I made so many stupid mistakes in M1.
Oh God. My entire group but me ****ed up. They didn't revise WW1 and couldn't do Part A question 1 I feel so grateful to everyone here for helping me so so much and keeping me motivated.

They all revised the Stresemann years and the final solution.
For the Nazi opposition question, they weren't asking you about what opposition there was, they were asking whether there was significant opposition in the Nazi regime. So I evaluated all the opposition in the Nazi state (Conservative circles/Wehrmacht/Church/Left/Youth) and gauged its significance in opposition to the Nazi regime. For youth you could say it was insignificant as it was an ideological rebellion against the state, not opposition against it, however, it was ruthlessly suppressed by the Gestapo with the execution of their leaders leading to the conclusion that it was a significant form of opposition in the eyes of the Nazi state. I continued this for the rest of the opposition groups and came to a conclusion for them all. That's the kind of answer they were looking for; tight focus on the wording of the question.
(edited 7 years ago)
Just want to check that the controversy question was: 'arose as a result of German aggression' wasn't it? and not 'did not arise as a result of German aggression? as now I'm panicking that I misread the question!!!
Original post by louise.18
Just want to check that the controversy question was: 'arose as a result of German aggression' wasn't it? and not 'did not arise as a result of German aggression? as now I'm panicking that I misread the question!!!

I think it was "arose as a result of German aggression"
I spoke about all the differing groups so communists, religion, youth and conservative and evaluated them all in terms of success/ repression/ numbers and whether the opposition was through the whole group or just a few.

As I defined significant as 'a threat to power' and 'influencing a change in policy' in my intro I argued that the conservative and religious opposition was significant in some cases but most of the population consented due to popular policies/ propaganda/ terror and used 'loyal reluctance' and 'shaped consent' in my conclusion.

Is this okay???
Original post by Carlos52004
I think it was "arose as a result of German aggression"

Thank you! I thought It was, just wanted to check
Original post by sixschmidt
For the Nazi opposition question, they weren't asking you about what opposition there was, they were asking whether there was significant opposition in the Nazi regime. So I evaluated all the opposition in the Nazi state (Conservative circles/Wehrmacht/Church/Left/Youth) and gauged its significance in opposition to the Nazi regime. For youth you could say it was insignificant as it was an ideological rebellion against the state, not opposition against it, however, it was ruthlessly suppressed by the Gestapo with the execution of their leaders leading to the conclusion that it was a significant form of opposition in the eyes of the Nazi state. I continued this for the rest of the opposition groups and came to a conclusion for them all. That's the kind of answer they were looking for; tight focus on the wording of the question.

Yikes, I said the youth was seen more as an annoyance than a significant threat. I argued that once their leaders were publicly tried and executed, it served as a deterrence to other youth groups, decreasing their significance as an opposition to the nazi regime.

I argued army rebels were biggest threat because their methods were the most violent and came closest to destabilising the nazi government. Did I do it wrong?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by grassntai
Yikes, I said the youth was seen more as an annoyance than a significant threat. I argued that once their leaders were publicly tried and executed, it served as a deterrence to other youth groups, decreasing their significance as an opposition to the nazi regime.

I argued army rebels were biggest threat because their methods were the most violent and came closest to destabilising the nazi government. Did I do it wrong?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Different strokes for different folks, as long as you argued you point effectively and gave a balanced argument, you aren't going to lose marks over it. I too argued that the Wehrmacht was the greatest threat, however, I also pointed out the continuing loyalty of the rest of the Wehrmacht exemplified in the actions of Major Remer of the reserve army, who followed Valkyrie before reversing the orders when Hitler was proven to be alive. I argued that it wasn't a significant threat also due to its small size, and only 22 out of ~2000 Generals being executed served as my evidence.
Different strokes for different folks, as long as you argued you point effectively and gave a balanced argument, you aren't going to lose marks over it. I too argued that the Wehrmacht was the greatest threat, however, I also pointed out the continuing loyalty of the rest of the Wehrmacht exemplified in the actions of Major Remer of the reserve army, who followed Valkyrie before reversing the orders when Hitler was proven to be alive. I argued that it wasn't a significant threat also due to its small size, and only 22 out of ~2000 Generals being executed served as my evidence.

I wasn't as pedantic with my evidence (I did just start revision 2 days before the exam fml) but yeah I said despite the army's threat, there wasn't much consensus in that most of the soldiers were stubborn due to their oath with Hitler and the Bomb plot of 1944 only had support from 22 to 2000 generals, limiting their threat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
I wasn't as pedantic with my evidence (I did just start revision 2 days before the exam fml) but yeah I said despite

Posted from TSR Mobile

That evidence is from the film Valkyrie :tongue:. Tom Cruise saved me.
That evidence is from the film Valkyrie :tongue:. Tom Cruise saved me.

Lol my teacher recommended me to watch it, never did. Congrats anyway, seems like you'll get an A*. Well deserved mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol my teacher recommended me to watch it, never did. Congrats anyway, seems like you'll get an A*. Well deserved mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I'm sure you're gonna get the grade you wanted, in the end, everything comes together. :smile:
you see for part A i totally messed it up because ive been revising the holocaust but i still managed to get out 2.5 pages but there was a lack of knoweldgei did german agression on part b and i totally smashed that out the park - i siad it was the fault of the germans - used source 1 and part of source 2 to show this. then i used source 2 and said that the only reason german felt isolated is because they had no alliances and this was their fault because allowing reinsurance treaty to expire and not forming an alliance with britain instead asking them to join the triple alliancehow would that do for a grade?
i got 154UMS in my 1st Year...A High B in my coursework what would i get overall
RSFC Student

Quick Reply

Latest