The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Product Design (3D) PROD3 10th JUNE 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by meganseahorses
Who else new a lot of answers but could only knew the answers to just one half of the set questions?:frown: So annoyed I didn't get to answer the toothbrush question because I knew nothing about galvanising fences or using pressure treatments on wood or whatever. regrets but at least the boundaries are so low :awesome:

Yeah I was like that left some half answered Tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Probably failed that exam.

Think I've only managed to guess half of the questions and the formatting was so weird????
Yep failed that exam. Since when has there been a drawing question in an A2 exam?
I feel like my answers were so muddled, disappointed to say the least
Reply 104
ffs i forgot to put down so many things is knew like the WEE waste for recycling car components and talk more in depth about ELVD
Reply 105
Briefly what I wrote. I did OK overall, hardest test in AQA Unit 3 so far. Very specific exam.

Hardness test - centre punch with hammer. Measure depth of the holes and compare/contrast the appearance.
Toughness test - whack it with a hammer in vice. Breaking/bending way of measuring and comparing.
This part I did good in, memorised it before.

CAD part I wrote a lot about simulations for materials, photo-realistic rendering, 3D modelling, component functions in 3D programs that can be adjusted etc. Said simulations for manufacturing with die cutting for example for cereal boxes which the designs for packaging (nets in designing process). Expanded on each point, referenced Google SketchUp, ProDesktop for 3D modelling and rendering in ProDesktop for material aesthetics.
Did ok, wrote a lot more but forgot it.

Very briefly for MIG welding I drew the the whole process of the feeding metal, welding two metals. Forgot to mention shield gas and the charged metal electrode (arcs). Said the weld is very strong and will withstand a big load make the chair suitable for children and adults etc.
Soldering I drew the whole process with the heated soldering alloy which is manually fed and melted down to drops placed on the conducting joints. Said it was suitable because the solder alloy has a flux which coats the finished joint, and it is a very good conductor of electricity etc.
Did ok, didn't revise welding processes at all.

For Crude oils I said you can obtain polymers and fuel for vehicles such as petrol and diesels. I mentioned Toyota with their Prius cars that have been influenced in a way where the it is designed to use as little of those fuels as possible by mainly powering the vehicle up for electricity. Linked it to Tesla how they been influenced to do the same however with their little niche, design a high quality, high performance and no use of fuels from crude oils, both points being relevant because crude oil is not sustainable and the source will run out so the firms will have to adapt their designs either way in the future. Also beneficial for consumer because high cost for car however no fuel costs. Then I said some vehicle company uses biopol in the interior of the vehicle as they are biodegradable and wont take 700 years to degrade in designated areas for waste and biopol is not obtained from crude oil but from natural sustainable sources. I expanded a lot more on each point.
Did good, felt like I made good expanded points.

Smart materials I said thermochromatic pigment can be used in materials to make thermochromic materials, I applied to to a kettle, if you had a thermochromic strip you could place it with the handle so the user will know whether it is safe to handle the kettle due to temperature and thermal burns or scalding. Memory alloy for braces are safe because it doesnt react and is non-corroding and don't react with anything in your mouth and it will safely adjust from is flexible pose in order to function sufficiently. Another one for safety, I mentioned polymorph, usage would be for adults to mould cutlery ergonomic handles with their children's approximate anthropocentric measurements so that they cant lob their spoons at people whilst eating, this is bad if the child is using metal forks and is feeling a bit edgy and decides to throw it at someone.
Did ok, expanded on everything to justify my points, felt like I did not mention enough suitable smart materials, usually they mention some smart materials that you write about.

Flat pack furniture fabrication, said it benefits consumer because less transportation costs, more convenience, huge product portfolio for the consumer, different designs/styles of the same product because of the manufacturing ease, convenience big factor because product comes packed in corrugated card boxes which are easily fitted in personal vehicles, no need to pay for big transport vehicles for already built furniture that is very heavy. Manufacturer easily produces the product without a big number of skilled employees, the products are set through CNC machines such as laser cutters or routers and mostly performed by second generation robotics. This means fast production, lower cost than hiring employees with imperfections in products also, lower transportation costs to outlets, easy stock storage and a lot of stock is able to be stored due to small packaging, all of this briefly means less costs and higher profits. Knock down joints allow the product to be easily assembled by any type of average consumer, allows packaging to be smaller, links to the transportation costs again and convenience, didn't give examples for specific ones. Said that they're usually made through injection moulding which is a fast big industry process which adds to the speed of production for manufacturer - can be just put in a PP bag sealed with heat and thrown into the packaging so that the user makes it. Pictograms are used by manufacturers for easier installations.
Did good, wrote a lot, tried not to waffle on but keep everything relevant and knowledgeable.

This is only a brief of what I wrote in my exam, I think that's all the questions that I answered, I missed quite a bit of valuable marks but I didn't do exactly bad. This test was difficult in my opinion in comparison to all past papers that I looked at prior. Tried to squeeze in as my knowledge as I could whilst explaining my points and each question had two parts of which one were extremely specific and if you look at the spec how the **** are you supposed to know everything, it's a bit of a gamble. I'm hoping my exam marker isn't a dick. Depends on grade boundaries. Not too worried.
(edited 7 years ago)
that paper was ok
Aced that orthographic drawing question!!
Reply 108
Did anyone answer the question on the chair and composite materials? Struggled with it and only chose it as I wanted to answer the second part in socio-economic change (or whatever) and felt that part went quite well.
I'm glad you did question 2 as well. I said CFRP and then started talking about injection moulding, then realised that it was bloody about lay-up resin, so I had to redo the question. It was worded horribly. However, I spoke about adding the colour pigments (die) then just spraying and adding more woven fibres in the stand of the chair and the bit where you put your bum. Then related it to its properties and that it is used in formula 1 cars so has great tensile and impact resistance.
Also what did you put about the socio economic stuff?
Reply 110
Original post by Bradmortlock
I'm glad you did question 2 as well. I said CFRP and then started talking about injection moulding, then realised that it was bloody about lay-up resin, so I had to redo the question. It was worded horribly. However, I spoke about adding the colour pigments (die) then just spraying and adding more woven fibres in the stand of the chair and the bit where you put your bum. Then related it to its properties and that it is used in formula 1 cars so has great tensile and impact resistance.
Also what did you put about the socio economic stuff?

Ah! I spoke about injection moulding and CFRP because I wasn't sure what else to put! Hopefully I've waffled enough to get a couple of marks by talking about the process/die/finishing etc. agree that the question was worded horribly. Did a detailed annotated sketch of injection moulding mostly to fill the time!
For the socio-economic question I talked about something different for each bullet point. E.g. For legislation I spoke about WEEE Directive and the impact this has on manufacturing washing machines (using recyclable mild steel, thermoplastics for the front because of low melting point & less energy etc). Included James Dyson's vacuums for conflicting designs, spoke about Bauhaus and Memphis contrasting designs based on function and aesthetics respectively. Then for technological developments I said improvements of batteries in smart phones (extended life, invention of portable chargers etc). Hope I was writing about stuff along the right lines. What things did you mention?
Original post by brownii
Ah! I spoke about injection moulding and CFRP because I wasn't sure what else to put! Hopefully I've waffled enough to get a couple of marks by talking about the process/die/finishing etc. agree that the question was worded horribly. Did a detailed annotated sketch of injection moulding mostly to fill the time!
For the socio-economic question I talked about something different for each bullet point. E.g. For legislation I spoke about WEEE Directive and the impact this has on manufacturing washing machines (using recyclable mild steel, thermoplastics for the front because of low melting point & less energy etc). Included James Dyson's vacuums for conflicting designs, spoke about Bauhaus and Memphis contrasting designs based on function and aesthetics respectively. Then for technological developments I said improvements of batteries in smart phones (extended life, invention of portable chargers etc). Hope I was writing about stuff along the right lines. What things did you mention?

Well good new i did a massive page long description of injection moulding and Lay up resin lool because i thought that might be what they wanted??
Also for the socio economic i said, WEEE, eco label, energy level label, RoSH, end of use Vechile directive. Also, Cinclair C5 (the tricycle automotive that failed as a technological push). Included James Dysons DC01 and Hoover (along with patents) then the DC07. I said about Radios improvement, i.e. Sony Walkman and Apple. Then said about LCD AND Intergrated Circuits increasing economic welfare of products such as miniaturisation and digitalisation etc. Then some other waffle had no clue haha
Reply 112
That exam was not fun. Hardest, least forgiving paper I have done with most of the more commonly found questions locked behind other parts which were really difficult (Mixing the ergonomics question with that pressure treating/galvanising one)

Did anyone else **** up on the testing question and do an industrial test? I completely glanced over the bolded 'simple workshop test' and talked in detail about the Vickers test and the Charpy/Izod test. :/
Original post by AshMarl
That exam was not fun. Hardest, least forgiving paper I have done with most of the more commonly found questions locked behind other parts which were really difficult (Mixing the ergonomics question with that pressure treating/galvanising one)

Did anyone else **** up on the testing question and do an industrial test? I completely glanced over the bolded 'simple workshop test' and talked in detail about the Vickers test and the Charpy/Izod test. :/

I spoke about the Brinell Test for hardness and then i said about tensile strength for toughness with weights on a chair through impact. I'm an idiot didn't look over the question. The grade boundaries will differently be at its lowest, question 2 was worded horribly as well.
On the orthographic drawing question, did anyone know what part in the top right was meant to be? It was like a circle like the ones that were on the side views and it had like this tiny little trapezium next to it and that was it? I didnt include it at all in my sketch... Other than that I think it went well though
I spoke about the Brinell Test for hardness and then i said about tensile strength for toughness with weights on a chair through impact. I'm an idiot didn't look over the question. The grade boundaries will differently be at its lowest, question 2 was worded horribly as well.

I had the exact same answer as you. Do you think that we will not get marks for talking about the vickers and brinel test?

In the June 2012 Unit 3 exam there was this exact question talking about simple workshop tests on toughness and hardness. Altought it said workshop tests in the mark scheme they still allowed full marks for brinel and vickers test so there's nothing to worry about I just checked :smile:
Brilliant! Thank you!
Original post by sebnagy22
In the June 2012 Unit 3 exam there was this exact question talking about simple workshop tests on toughness and hardness. Altought it said workshop tests in the mark scheme they still allowed full marks for brinel and vickers test so there's nothing to worry about I just checked :smile:

That's what I was thinking! I did do workshop testing, though I knew they allowed industrial techniques and candidates who just chose workshop didn't access higher marks because it was too basic?? (even though the question asked for it) I briefly mentioned the industrial techniques in justification for the sets of criteria we had to write about, even so I still muddled up how a test toughness, overall the exam sucked
I'm so confused... For the Paton chair I said that flexible medium density fibreboard (cos it said fibre based particle) and said you can steam bend it and went onto talk on about steam bending process then for finish: sanding, spray painting gloss finish and wet and dry?? Am I wrong because everyone seems to have said injection moulding ffs If I've flopped that I've definitely failed
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending