The Student Room Group

AQA AS Chemistry 7404/1 and 7404/2 - 27th May 2016 and 10th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 740
Original post by SANTR
What did people get for the infra red question, on which bond is used to distinguish between the compounds?

I think I put the C=C double bond.
Original post by Gswp
People need to stop comparing new spec to old spec

They would have left a blank space. They left a blank space for damn near everything - even 'working' for the last question where you had to draw the graph.

If they wanted you to draw there would have been a blank space. End of.

AQA would be trolling if they wanted the diagram tho...

I bet you money you are wrong.
Original post by Blazey

Really hope we are right.
Original post by Pentaquark
Oxidation of propane-1,2-diol
(2)

CH3CH(OH)CH2OH + 3[O]
CH3COCOOH + 2H2O

Just found a past AQA question in an A2 paper. Ffs i didnt balance :s

yeah meanwhile i balanced it but didnt put enough oxygen because it was a stupid diol :'(
Original post by zigocarn
I said you used the c=c to distinguish :frown:
What was it meant to be?

I think it was supposed to be o-h and alcohol but in reality it was a hydroxyalkene but I wrote alcohol
I said you used the c=c to distinguish :frown:
What was it meant to be?

they will probably give that as well but didnt both alcohol and aldehyde have a c=c bond?idr
Original post by Blazey

it was o-h ( alcohols ) - i am pretty sure
Reply 747
Really hope we are right.

Haha, hopefully. I completely failed the first paper so need a decent mark on this one. :smile:
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
yeah meanwhile i balanced it but didnt put enough oxygen because it was a stupid diol :'(

Ah crap I forgot to add waters
Hey, I'm making the mark scheme and got this so far. Any help would be great!
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4156405&p=65645255#post65645255
they will probably give that as well but didnt both alcohol and aldehyde have a c=c bond?idr

No, the aldehyde had a C=O and not a C=C?

there wasn't a peak for C=C I checked, I think it was O-H
I think grade boundaries will definitely be lower than any boundary on the old spec, for sure, so don't worry too much guys. After all, these were harder than usual exams, more to do, in less time, they contained practical elements in the exams, instead of ISA's which people got high grades on almost every time. They also had a lot of hard maths questions and the multiple choice was an easy way to waste time and lose marks.
Well done to all :smile: We've all worked super hard.
anyone done an unofficial mark scheme?
Original post by quinn f

yeah i put o-h but there was a slight drop so i see where the ppl who put c=c are coming from
Reply 755
Original post by ICantFindMyName
I bet you money you are wrong.

tbf they might accept both ways but wtf aqa...
Original post by Gswp
People need to stop comparing new spec to old spec

They would have left a blank space. They left a blank space for damn near everything - even 'working' for the last question where you had to draw the graph.

If they wanted you to draw there would have been a blank space. End of.

AQA would be trolling if they wanted the diagram tho...

The reason they gave lines is because there was two parts to the question. One required an explanation and hence lines were given.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by quinn f

There was a peak at 1620-1680 signifying a c=c bond, however in terms of actual functional groups it was an alcohol
Reply 758
Hey guys. I believe for the thin layer catalyst question, it was so that the gases produce can diffuse easily out of the engine- but not sure once again and there could indeed be multiple answers. For the reason about the data book value being different- I think either the heat capacity of the copper calorimeter isn't included OR water is formed in the gaseous state should be enough to get the mark.
No, the aldehyde had a C=O and not a C=C?

oh thanks i thought it had both but wasnt sure

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending