The Student Room Group

AQA Chemistry Paper 2 AS Level 2016 Unofficial Mark Scheme

Anymore answers are welcome and feel free to correct any mistakes. Thank you!

1.1 Kc=[product]/[Reactant 1][Reactant 2]
Unit- mol^-1dm^3

1.2 10.5 mol^-1dm^3

-Z-isomer (ignore my awful drawing, I tried doing it on my macbook)
Screen Shot 2016-06-10 at 18.43.05.png

-Equation for Cl free radical and ozone layer
Cl.+ O3 ---> ClO.+ O2
ClO.+ O3 ----> 2O2 + Cl.
-Drawing chloropentafluroethane
Screen Shot 2016-06-10 at 16.23.33.png
-Why those the molecule (one without Cl) not contribute to ozone depletion? Because doesn't have a C--Cl bond so no chlorine free radical is made.
-Why does greenhouse gases like Co2 absorb a lot IR? They have bonds that have high bond enthalpy or another answer I've seen is that it's because the bonds are polar

-Fluorine free radical and CH3CF2 (Check the formula I think it was that?)
Propagation Step 1: .F + CH3CF2 ----> .CH2CF2 + HF
Propagation Step 2: .CH2CF2 + F2 ---> CH2CF3 + .F

-Number of molecules + Avogadro constant question? 1.01 x 10^25

-Isooctane? Nomenclature- 2,2,4-trimethypentane
-Name how to separate Isooctane and octane and how?
Distillation and you heat the conical flask with temperature above 99 degrees so Isooctane compound vaporises but the other compound remains liquid. Condense in a cooling jacket.

-Oleic acid testing for unsaturated
Bromine water and Observation from orange to colourless

-Enthalpy change of Combustion of methanol- -307 kJmol^-1
-Why enthalpy change lower- neglecting the specific heat capacity of the calorimeter
-Uncertainty- 0.5/38*100= 1.32%
-Why Uncertainty of 0.5 is okay?
-Heat change for ethanol 11760 KJ maybe 11800KJ as it's in 3sf (I have a blurry memory about this one)

-Write the complete combustion of octane?
C8H18 + 12.5O2 -> 8CO2 + 9H2O
-Catalyst how it works
Lowers activation energy by providing an alternate route to a reaction
-How does NO and CO react?
2NO + 2CO ----> N2 + 2CO2
-Thin layer catalyst maybe because it's more cost effective and catalyst doesn't get used up during reaction so you don't need thick layer.

-Why are the two compound impossible to distinguish in precise mass spec?
Both has the same number of atoms for each element so same precise molecular mass.
-Infrared Radiation: O-H bond and 3230-3550 cm^-1

6 Marker: Alcohol (hydrogen bonds, permanent dipole dipole, van der waals) Aldehyde (permanent dipole dipole and van der waals) and alkane (van der waals)

7 Marker electrophilic addition
Outline Mechanism: arrow from double bond to H(delta plus) arrow from bond H---Br to Br)
Tertiary Carbonation ion is more stable than secondary carbocation because alkyl groups is electron releasing and stabilises the carbocation. So most stable carbocation is formed more. 3bromo is more stable than 2bromo.

-Excess find moles of both and magnesium has more moles than the other compound so more magnesium is needed for a the first compound to react.
-Graph- I drew it lower and slower because there's fewer moles of reactants. Should be lower and quicker according to other because the concentration increased.

-Acidified potassium dichromate display formula both ketone and carboxylic acid and equation
Screen Shot 2016-06-10 at 16.48.19.png
CH3CH(OH)CH2OH + 3[O] CH3COCOOH + 2H2O

-Reflux Apparatus
Screen Shot 2016-06-10 at 16.44.46.png

- Suggests how Anti Bumping Granules works? Found this online :erm:
It is also known as Boiling chip. They are small, insoluble, porous stones made of calcium carbonate or silicon carbide. These stones have pores inside which provide cavities both to trap air and to provide spaces where bubbles of solvent vapor can form. When a boiling chip is heated in a solvent, it releases tiny bubbles. These bubbles ensure even boiling and prevent bumping and boiling over and loss of the solution.*
-What is the structure when not in excess?
Aldehyde and ketone one

Multiple Choices
-orange to red, aldehyde one with cho-
-Increase Temp- makes KC increase and yield increase C
-Last question multiple choice is C
-The C,H,O is B- ethanoic acid
-Nucleophilic Substitution
-Total Equilibrium moles 18 of
A+3B->C+2D
-The Cyclohexene general formula- CnH2n-2
-Cracking equation A
-Percentage yield is 86.6%
-Polymer question Which is the alkene- D
-Maxwell Graph- C That number of molecules with E>Eais to the right of the line
-Mechanism Pic B
-Sulphur dioxide removed in gas station with CaO
-1064 missing enthalpy B

For the first 10 questions these may be the answers credit to @quiin f : CDDBAADCAB
Answers to 15 MCQ in order but maybe wrong credit to @britishtf2 :
CDDABBDCABCDCBC
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The value of Kc was 5 point something, not 10....
Original post by Atiq629

That's what I got and a few others too. I will change if anyone also agrees with you.
Original post by Atiq629

i got 10.5. most ppl got 10.5
Reply 4
Wasn't the question about energy of ethanol to 3sf? since the smallest number of sf in the question was 3.. (or was it even an sf question? lol)
And I got the equilibrium multiple choice as A and the last one D but i'm not sure
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by haes
Wasn't the question about energy of ethanol to 3sf? since the smallest number of sf in the question was 3.. (or was it even an sf question? lol)
And I got the equilibrium multiple choice as A and the last one D but i'm not sure

It actually was to 4 significant figures. And I think the Equilibrium one was 18 as equilibrium moles were 10+4+4 I think or something like that.
Reply 6
Original post by DaVinciGirl
It actually was to 4 significant figures. And I think the Equilibrium one was 18 as equilibrium moles were 10+4+4 I think or something like that.

I meant the third(?) last equilibrium question about Kc & Yield.
Was it really 4? I remember one of the numbers being 0.400 (whatever the volume of ethanol was), which is 3?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
I messed up quite a bit lmao, also for catalytic converter: 2CO + 2NO -> N2 + 2CO2
Original post by haes
I meant the third(?) last equilibrium question about Kc & Yield.
Was it really 4? I remember one of the numbers being 0.400, which is 3?

The methanol one was 4 Sig
And the ethanol one was 3sig

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Still In Process and editing

Unit- mol^-1dm^3

1.2 10.5 mol^-1dm^3

Cl.+ O3 ---> ClO.+ O2
ClO.+ O3 ----> 2O2 + Cl.
-Why those the molecule (one without Cl) not contribute to ozone depletion? Because doesn't have a C--Cl bond so no chlorine free radical is made.

Distillation and you heat the conical flask with temperature above 99 degrees so Isooctane compound vaporises but the other compound remains liquid. Condense in a cooling jacket.

-Why enthalpy change lower- neglecting the specific heat capacity of the calorimeter
-Uncertainty- 0.5/38*100= 1.31%
-Heat change for ethanol 11760 KJ

-Catalyst how it works
2NO + CO ----> N2 + CO2
-Thin layer catalyst maybe because it's more cost effective and catalyst doesn't get used up during reaction so you don't need thick layer.

6 Marker: Alcohol (hydrogen bonds, permanent dipole dipole, van der waals) Aldehyde (permanent dipole dipole and van der waals) and alkane (van der waals)

Outline Mechanism: arrow from double bon to H(delta plus) arrow from bond H---Br to Br)
Tertiary Carbonation ion is more stable than secondary carbocation because alkyl groups is electron releasing and stabilises the carbocation. So most stable carbocation is formed more. 3bromo is more stable than 2bromo.

-Excess find moles of both and magnesium has more less moles than the other compound so more magnesium is needed for a the first compound to work

-Acidified potassium dichromate display formula both ketone and carboxylic acid and equation

-Reflux Apparatus

-AntiBumping Granules

Aldehyde and ketone one

Multiple Choices
-Total Equilibrium moles 18
-Cracking equation A

I can't remember but are you sure it was a tertiary carbocation and not a secondary carbocation?
Reply 10
Original post by haes

it was 8+4+2+4 giving you 18 and I put D for the last question too
Reply 11
do any of you know if it matters which side you put your dot in the Cl free radical?
Reply 12
Original post by Emibear
it was 8+4+2+4 giving you 18 and I put D for the last question too

Sorry I meant the other equilibrium question (above that one?) about Kc and yield
i believe you can also talk about zeolites for the separation of octane and isooctane, also wasnt the percentage uncertainty (1/38)*100 since it was + or minus 0.5 which means that the value can deviate by 1?
Original post by zigocarn
I can't remember but are you sure it was a tertiary carbocation and not a secondary carbocation?

They wanted you take 3-bromo-3-methyl something. There was a Ch3CH(CH3)CH2 ... This means the carbocation that had a methyl on top, and 2 methyl on the sides. So its tertiary carbocation Sorry for the bad explanation. :colondollar:
Reply 15
Original post by haes
Sorry I meant the other equilibrium question (above that one?) about Kc and yield

ohhh i think it was when you increase the temp Kc and yield both increases?
Still In Process and editing

Unit- mol^-1dm^3

1.2 10.5 mol^-1dm^3

Cl.+ O3 ---> ClO.+ O2
ClO.+ O3 ----> 2O2 + Cl.

-Uncertainty- 0.5/38*100= 1.31%
-Heat change for ethanol 11760 KJ

-Catalyst how it works
2NO + CO ----> N2 + CO2

Outline Mechanism: arrow from double bon to H(delta plus) arrow from bond H---Br to Br)

-Excess find moles of both and magnesium has more less moles than the other compound so more magnesium is needed for a the first compound to work

-Reflux Apparatus

-AntiBumping Granules

Aldehyde and ketone one

Multiple Choices
-Total Equilibrium moles 18
-Cracking equation A

NO and CO reaction isn't balanced
2NO+2CO-->2CO2 + N2
For the spectroscopy peak question I think you could also have the C=C bond and the range ☺️ I think
They wanted you take 3-bromo-3-methyl something. There was a Ch3CH(CH3)CH2 ... This means the carbocation that had a methyl on top, and 2 methyl on the sides. So its tertiary carbocation Sorry for the bad explanation. :colondollar:

How many marks for the mechanism and how many for the explanation in your opinion out of 7?
Reply 19
I think the CO and NO reaction is CO + NO --> CO2 + 1/2 N2

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending