The Student Room Group

If you were good looking...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blue_Mason
I am already good looking and it is overrated

Please give us some more insight
Original post by SeanFM
I presume so :K: I s'pose if you were really good looking you could model and stuff but.. :dontknow: how much further could you go?

Come on, if you're good looking, especially as a girl, you're just treated so much better by nearly everyone. :colonhash:
Original post by Serine Soul
Please give us some more insight

Come on, if you're good looking, especially as a girl, you're just treated so much better by nearly everyone. :colonhash:

Where do you draw the line between consciously "using your looks" and people just reacting to them though?

The only alternative is to make yourself deliberately ugly.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I'm not sure how they'd be that useful though. Good looks aren't going to help you get good grades or a job and in dating they may only help with the initial attraction. But if you have nothing in common with your dates or have a vain, egotistical personality then that's unlikely to get you far where settling down and possibly getting married is concerned.

Good looks and charm combined can go a long way :dontknow:

I agree with the grades and marriage bit
no

Oh no, I definitely agree with that :tongue: but I could only see that affecting day to day things, like people letting you queue jump or offering you seats (not to forget a lot of unwanted attention :tongue:) and you could have your pick of guy or whatever.. :dontknow: I think I'm talking myself into thinking that life would be a lot better :lol:
Original post by Elivercury
Where do you draw the line between consciously "using your looks" and people just reacting to them though?

The only alternative is to make yourself deliberately ugly.

Using your looks, i.e having a certain smile or expression on your face.
Reply 26
Backing that.
If I were good looking I'd post in this thread.
Using your looks, i.e having a certain smile or expression on your face.

Hmm I suppose, a nice smile does go a long way. But then, short of permanently keeping a neutral expression this could be difficult to manage!
yes but im not so it doesnt count

side note

Spoiler

Reply 30
What would you use your looks for? :smile:

Getting far in life is subjective :wink:
(edited 7 years ago)
I actually thought about it for a bit...and I don't think that much.
Good looks would help you a lot for the dating bit...and potentially help you in the relationship stage, and would therefore make you confident?:dontknow:
Would you use your looks to get far in life?

I most definitely would, and maybe that's the reason why I'm not good looking :tongue:

Obviously good looks will help massively if you want to go into careers like modelling, acting, presenting etc.. where people will judge you for your appearance.

In everyday normal life and in all other professions looks are important but they're not the be all and end all and other qualities like your work ethic, confidence and self belief will matter more.
As good looking as I am (:u:) it doesn't seem to have helped me too much yet :dontknow:
If being good looking got you a 2:1 or higher in your degree classification, yeah, sure, but it doesn't :tongue:
Just out of curiosity if you could choose to be a really attractive male or a really attractive female what would you pick ?
become a model
Original post by Ambre
What would you use your looks for? :smile:

Getting far in life is subjective :wink:

Yeah I was thinking the same.
I've been offered modelling positions before (never taken them up, in case anyone cares), so I can only assume that I'm at least ever so slightly above average when it comes to attraction (even if it is incredibly subjective).

Despite that, the thought to "use my looks" has never once crossed my mind. What's the point? The only thing it would say about me is that I lack the capacity to get what I want via a meritocratic basis and therefore resort to the equivalent of pulling puppy dog eyes at someone in a feeble attempt at manipulation.

I'd hold the same position on it even if I was an 11/10 (which, FYI, I most definitely am not).

Edit: all hail the unflattering photos on my profile page :h:
I forgot they were there.
(edited 7 years ago)
Good looking doesn't stay with you forever :yep: like celebs, they are good looking but ask them about their education life, they are like 0 in that... they maybe famous at this time but afterwards when they get wrinkles and loosen their skin elasticity.... no one's gonna take them :lol: to be successful in life... you need a good grades and a qualification :top:

Quick Reply

Latest