The Student Room Group

AQA a-level food technology anyone?

Scroll to see replies

I'm doing biology and applied science as well as food tech. How did you find it today?
Reply 21
Original post by CMooreFalcons
I'm doing biology and applied science as well as food tech. How did you find it today?

Hi I did food tech today and found it nicer than any of the past papers, I did question 1,3 and 5, how about you?
Original post by evebyram
Hi I did food tech today and found it nicer than any of the past papers, I did question 1,3 and 5, how about you?

Same, definitely the best paper out of them all for me. I did questions 1,2, and 6
Reply 23
Same, definitely the best paper out of them all for me. I did questions 1,2, and 6

Question one was really good, hopefully I get the A i need!
Question one was really good, hopefully I get the A i need!

Fingers crossed. How did you do in the coursework?
Reply 25
Fingers crossed. How did you do in the coursework?

I got a high A, few off a*, how about you?
I got a high A, few off a*, how about you?

Nice! I was mid-A (84 UMS)
Reply 27
Nice! I was mid-A (84 UMS)

Nice one, have you applied for a food course at university?
Nice one, have you applied for a food course at university?

Yeah :smile: Food Science at Nottingham. You?
Reply 29
Yeah :smile: Food Science at Nottingham. You?

Food marketing and nutrition at Newcastle! Good luck with results
Food marketing and nutrition at Newcastle! Good luck with results

You too!
Hey! Thought I'd bring this thread back to life. Anyone doing the A2 this year? I am. I'm with AQA and I'm finding the coursework very tedious 😂
Reply 32
Hi! I'm doing A2 AQA food tech this year and i'm finding the revision so hard, how are you revising for it?
Original post by HannaJK
Hi! I'm doing A2 AQA food tech this year and i'm finding the revision so hard, how are you revising for it?

I'm basically​ just going through the syllabus and writing notes on each section so I know I've at least got a basic understanding of everything, and then I'll try and do and few past papers but I feel I've left it all a bit too late 😩
How are you feeling for it?
Original post by Katherines01
I'm basically​ just going through the syllabus and writing notes on each section so I know I've at least got a basic understanding of everything, and then I'll try and do and few past papers but I feel I've left it all a bit too late 😩
How are you feeling for it?

That's exactly what I'm doing. Snap! Any ideas what could come up? I feel pretty confident with the knowledge... and then I have to face an exam question and I crumble 😂😭
Reply 35
Original post by hatcs001
That's exactly what I'm doing. Snap! Any ideas what could come up? I feel pretty confident with the knowledge... and then I have to face an exam question and I crumble 😂😭

Yeah that's exacly how I feel! I have been writing notes up and trying to learn them, but the exam questions are so specific its just so hard! How did you both find As?

I've no idea what could come up tbh, I'm so bad at second guessing exams! 😂 I feel like questions on preservation methods and microbial risk/ safety always seem to come up in at least some way and sometimes something linked to structure of glucose or carbs or fats etc but other topics can be a bit hit and miss 😥
Also I did last years paper as a trial and it was annoying because the questions really played to my strengths but now that stuff is less likely to be on our paper 🙁 but if you've not seen last year's paper​ I doubt they'll be a question specifically on the function of egg and fats / oils and their rancidity this year. Also there was a lot of designing style questions which seemed a bit odd, whether that means they're unlikely to be in this year's paper or that they're leaning towards having more designing questions, who knows 🙄
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by HannaJK
Yeah that's exacly how I feel! I have been writing notes up and trying to learn them, but the exam questions are so specific its just so hard! How did you both find As?

Yeah the marking points are always so specific! And I hate there not being a textbook for the course, different resources always contradict each others so it's so hard knowing what the examiner will actually want 🙄. And AS went okay but I never do well on the designing questions and it was my biggest downfall last year so I'm very glad there isn't a compulsory one in the A2 exam!
Original post by HannaJK

I retook the AS this year as I wasn't happy with the result last year. The AS exam this year was so much more understandable and relatable. I'm hoping that will be the same for the A2...

I hate not having a textbook too! What resources have you been using? My teacher gave me acess to the AQA new GCSE textbook so I'm combing sections of that with a food science textbook, only I had to hand the book back to the library and now I can only rely on sheets that I've been given by the teacher. I've found the internet to either be way to scientific and contradictory, or not scientific enough. And the online resources mainly focus on AS stuff :frown:
I retook the AS this year as I wasn't happy with the result last year. The AS exam this year was so much more understandable and relatable. I'm hoping that will be the same for the A2...

I hate not having a textbook too! What resources have you been using? My teacher gave me acess to the AQA new GCSE textbook so I'm combing sections of that with a food science textbook, only I had to hand the book back to the library and now I can only rely on sheets that I've been given by the teacher. I've found the internet to either be way to scientific and contradictory, or not scientific enough. And the online resources mainly focus on AS stuff :frown:

Ah that's good about the AS exam! And yes I'm doing pretty much the same, just using sheets and booklets I've got from my teacher! Also if there's an area you can't find out much about / when different sources are contradictory I'd say try and find a question about it on a past paper and see what's said on the markscheme - only way to know how the exam board words things!

Quick Reply

Latest