The Student Room Group

8CH02 Paper 2 EDEXCEL CHEMISTRY Friday 10th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Astro_Joe
I may be remembering wrong, but if the product was an aldehyde, a carboxylic acid or a ketone, then the answer was definitely acidified potassium dichromate and heat with reflux/distillation.

It was the reaction of carboxylic acid which made something else which had a -diol and 2 double oxygen bonds ....... So it couldn't be K2Cr2O7 because that's for oxidation of an alcohol to form a carboxylic acid

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Original post by clairebear101
i swear it was a dehydrated Di-ol

Dehydration would be going from an alcohol to an alkene, but this was oxidisation of the alcohol to a carboxylic acid. I think :P
Reply 42
hmm... I sat for the same paper, but the questions seem different. Was there a weird Iodine monochloride titration question in Section C of your paper?
Original post by Florent venhari
It was the reaction of carboxylic acid which made something else which had a -diol and 2 double oxygen bonds ....... So it couldn't be K2Cr2O7 because that's for oxidation of an alcohol to form a carboxylic acid

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually, now that I remember, it was the reaction of a diol to form a dicarboxylic acid. Which I think does react in that way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah i rushed and just saw a double bond and thought it was dehydration ;/ will i get a mark for saying heat under reflux? :/
who else got that that for one of the first questions there ere nly 3 ismoers? and who else got -77.2 for hess cycle?
who else got that that for one of the first questions there ere nly 3 ismoers? and who else got -77.2 for hess cycle?

I got a positive number in the 70s ?? See, i didn't know which way the arrows were supposed to go so I did it like it was a formation reaction

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got a positive number in the 70s ?? See, i didn't know which way the arrows were supposed to go so I did it like it was a formation reaction

Posted from TSR Mobile

hmm i put both the arrows down wards and so did a few others i know as well but i dunno

I got all 4 but Im not sure if they're correct:

1) CH3-CH2-CH2-CH2-CH2(OH)

2) CH3-CH2-CH(CH3)-CH2(OH)

3) (CH3)3-C-CH2(OH)

4) (OH)CH2-CH2-CH(CH3)-CH3

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got all 4 but Im not sure if they're correct:

1) CH3-CH2-CH2-CH2-CH2(OH)

2) CH3-CH2-CH(CH3)-CH2(OH)

3) (CH3)3-C-CH2(OH)

4) (OH)CH2-CH2-CH(CH3)-CH3

Posted from TSR Mobile

tbh i cant emeber if i got 4 now, oh well only 1 mark, more the other questions i am worried aobut! what did everyone put for the praticals
What did people get for question 2 (a). It was to name the E/Z isomer. I think I put A

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
I think it was the D because the higher priority groups were on the same side and the groups on either side with different so it had to be Z-...
I think, correct me if I'm wrong
Original post by zak_121
I think it was the D because the higher priority groups were on the same side and the groups on either side with different so it had to be Z-...
I think, correct me if I'm wrong

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465578953.406445.jpg

Here's the drawing of it

I swear A was Z-2-bromo-1-chloroprop-1ene ????

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did the Chlorine in question one have a sigma bond right? And it was homolytic fission????

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is there a thread for the 6CH02 paper edexcel?
Reply 55
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465578953.406445.jpg

Here's the drawing of it

I swear A was Z-2-bromo-1-chloroprop-1ene ????

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yh it was that I can't remember the letter😂
I remember D for one of the questions tho
Reply 56
How did you find the whole paper in general, how many marks do you think you got?

Did the Chlorine in question one have a sigma bond right? And it was homolytic fission????

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got that too
Original post by zak_121
Yh it was that I can't remember the letter😂
I remember D for one of the questions tho

I think D was the one before it! 🤗🤗🤗The sigma bond and homolytic fission for the Cl2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone know the answer, I think to the dehydrating agent multiple mark question? I think I put Na2SO4, which was D? I can't remember the options. I just remember reading that H2SO4 is a good dehydrating agent in a book and Na2SO4 seems similar?????????

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
It was sodium chloride which was A

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending