The Student Room Group

Love physics, hate physics A Level

Anyone else feel this way? Revising physics A Level is a pain in the bloody arse which is frustrating as it's such a fascinating subject imo. The questions are just so incredibly tedious, there's hardly any maths involved and the markscheme is always slightly different when a repeated question comes up. Why can't there be more emphasis on getting a long calculation right rather than counting squares to figure out the impulse or converting prefixes? **** you OCR A

Scroll to see replies

i do agree with you on the lack of maths part - I hate how many worded qs there are. But I don't mind revising Edexcel tbh but that's prob just cause I really like physics xD
Original post by Student403
i do agree with you on the lack of maths part - I hate how many worded qs there are. But I don't mind revising Edexcel tbh but that's prob just cause I really like physics xD

I just looked through a few edexcel papers, they're so much more interesting than ****ing OCR shite. OCR subtract marks when you leave your answer as an exact fraction and you lose marks if you use the trapezium rule instead of counting squares for impulse :biggrin:
Original post by TheFarmerLad
I just looked through a few edexcel papers, they're so much more interesting than ****ing OCR shite. OCR subtract marks when you leave your answer as an exact fraction and you lose marks if you use the trapezium rule instead of counting squares for impulse :biggrin:

Smh

I love maths much more because I you can use any method you like (unless specified - which makes it ez anyway) and get the right answer..

Today I imagined life without further maths. Could you imagine how boring it would be??
Omg YES I agree.
Reply 6
Anyone else feel this way? Revising physics A Level is a pain in the bloody arse which is frustrating as it's such a fascinating subject imo. The questions are just so incredibly tedious, there's hardly any maths involved and the markscheme is always slightly different when a repeated question comes up. Why can't there be more emphasis on getting a long calculation right rather than counting squares to figure out the impulse or converting prefixes? **** you OCR A

Sums up my feelings perfectly.
Original post by Student403
Smh

I love maths much more because I you can use any method you like (unless specified - which makes it ez anyway) and get the right answer..

Today I imagined life without further maths. Could you imagine how boring it would be??

Totally agree, and there's always one right answer they're looking for, which makes it easier to score high on.

M1-3 has practically taught me half of physics a level, the rest of the physics mechanics modules are just thermodynamics (which I like) and wordy questions trying to trip you up (which I loathe)

This drives me absolutely mad

Where the integrals at?
Reply 9
https://archive.org/details/AdvancedLevelPhysics

This is an A Level physics textbook from 1970 which heavily features calculus up to a C3/C4 level of knowledge. The mechanics section in some ways looks more like maths mechanics rather than physics mechanics. There are some bits that aren't covered (eg quarks) in that textbook but there are things featured there which we don't learn today (eg an integral sign with a circle on it). I may read this over the summer so that I can have a better understanding of physics.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Euclidean
This drives me absolutely mad

Where the integrals at?

Lol so true. There was another question on finding the induced emf given a graph of mag flux against time, I differentiated and got the exact answer, MS said draw a tangent by eye and find the gradient :banghead:
Original post by Zacken
Sums up my feelings perfectly.

Am genuinely contemplating whether I'd enjoy revising STEP more than this crap. At least with STEP there's an answer to be found and they don't give af what method you use to get there!
Reply 12
Original post by Palette
there are things featured there which we don't learn today (eg an integral sign with a circle on it

A path integral.
Reply 13
Am genuinely contemplating whether I'd enjoy revising STEP more than this crap. At least with STEP there's an answer to be found and they don't give af what method you use to get there!

Wait, why is this even something to contemplate. What reason would there be to not enjoy revising STEP? :confused:
Original post by Zacken
Wait, why is this even something to contemplate. What reason would there be to not enjoy revising STEP? :confused:

Well... STEP is quite hard :wink:
Reply 15
Well... STEP is quite hard :wink:

Isn't that the fun part? :wink:
Original post by Zacken
Isn't that the fun part? :wink:

Well yes, but not if you struggle with STEP I questions. We're not all brainboxes like you mate unfortunately!
Reply 17
Well yes, but not if you struggle with STEP I questions.

If you want an easier source of interesting maths problems, give the MAT a go! :smile:
Original post by Zacken
If you want an easier source of interesting maths problems, give the MAT a go! :smile:

Nah MAT is harder than STEP. Oxford is a better uni than Cambridge, especially for maths and sciences :wink:
Reply 19
Nah MAT is harder than STEP. Oxford is a better uni than Cambridge, especially for maths and sciences :wink:

Don't tell me you're an Oxford offer-holder. :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest