The Student Room Group

WHITE MAN BAN Straight white able bodied men banned from attending top equality confe

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Asiimov
It's one thing to want to gather a certain group of people to have their experiences, it's entirely another to ban a certain category of people and disallow their experiences. And why should they just want minority views, that seems to be suggesting only minorities can experience inequality which is factually incorrect.

A privileged person's voice regarding an oppression they don't face doesn't add anything to the discussion. Privileged people take over discussions about oppression and talk over the marginalised people who experience that oppression. This drowns out the voices of the people who's voices are relevant to the discussion.
Original post by Asiimov
Ah yes, it's entitlement to want everybody to have equal treatment. Disabled people should be encouraged to speak up and discuss more in the groups. Doesn't require banning other people. See ya.

It totally doesn't work that way. Privileged people ask offensive questions (or ones they could just google but feel that marginalised people exist to explain the oppression they experience. Things like 'playing devil's advocate' are oppressive because privileged people are taught that marginalised people's experiences need to be 'debated' and that the opinions of privileged people are inherently more 'neutral' and are 'original', rather than part of the cause of the oppression.
Original post by Thutmose-III
That is illegal discrimination.

There are many legitimate reasons why someone who doesn't identify as possessing one of those characteristics might be interested in attending (to hear the discussion, to demonstrate solidarity).

This is plain old discrimination, and in the 21st century it's illegal to discriminate on the basis of race or sexuality. That applies to white people and heterosexuals too

Do you know the way to be an ally to a marginalised group you are not part of? Shut the **** up and listen to them and do what THEY need you to do to fight against oppression. And if that includes staying the **** away from certain spaces, you do that.
Reply 83
Original post by SmallTownGirl
A privileged person's voice regarding an oppression they don't face doesn't add anything to the discussion. Privileged people take over discussions about oppression and talk over the marginalised people who experience that oppression. This drowns out the voices of the people who's voices are relevant to the discussion.

They aren't banning people based on privilege though, are they? They are banning an entire race of people, regardless of how privileged or disadvantaged the members of that group may be.

An upper class, black student from a wealthy family will be allowed to attend this conference, and speak about whatever percieved "oppression" he thinks he faces. But a white student from a poor, working class background will not be allowed to attend or speak about genuine hardship he has faced. Is the latter voice not more relevant in a discussion about disadvantage and oppression than the privileged black student?
Whenever I see something political debated on TV its always white able bodied men talking about it. I don't think its completely right but I can see why they have done this to let others have a say for a change, people who have experiences inequality.
Sounds like a bunch of faggy black retards anyway dunno why you'd wanna go to that tbh

Spoiler

Original post by Wōden
They aren't banning people based on privilege though, are they? They are banning an entire race of people, regardless of how privileged or disadvantaged the members of that group may be.

An upper class, black student from a wealthy family will be allowed to attend this conference, and speak about whatever percieved "oppression" he thinks he faces. But a white student from a poor, working class background will not be allowed to attend or speak about genuine hardship he has faced. Is the latter voice not more relevant in a discussion about disadvantage and oppression than the privileged black student?

People can be privileged in some ways and oppressed in others. Classism and oppression based on financial circumstances is an important part of discussions of oppression. Both the people on your example have privilege but also are marginalised or oppressed. However if the discussion is about racism the second student's voice isn't relevant. If the discussion is about classism then the first student's voice isn't relevant.
Reply 87
If anything, those minorities have the privilege here since if anyone (particularly a white male 'oppressor') says anything to them which might go anywhere near offending them, the media and sjwtards over at guardian hq treat it like the ****ing holocaust. You have to be super careful when speaking around minorities not to cause offense since they seem to think that just because they are in a numerical minority, they have some sort of immunity to being offended like the rest of us.
Original post by Wōden

The discussion groups are for the specific issues faced by ethnic minorities/LGBT/disabled people. The working class white person may have their own hardships, but the groups are not for them. It's like going to a cancer support group and talking about the hardships you face as someone living with diabetes.

If people feel like the hardships they face as working class people are enough to warrant a discussion group, they should start one.
(edited 7 years ago)
It amazes and worries me that people like the morons here who agree with this decision, and believe in racism against whites not being real/privilege etc. are going on to higher education.
It totally doesn't work that way. Privileged people ask offensive questions (or ones they could just google but feel that marginalised people exist to explain the oppression they experience. Things like 'playing devil's advocate' are oppressive because privileged people are taught that marginalised people's experiences need to be 'debated' and that the opinions of privileged people are inherently more 'neutral' and are 'original', rather than part of the cause of the oppression.

If as a marginalised person *laughs hysterically* you cannot be bothered to explain your "oppression" to someone, then don't expect them to care about it or help you. Its pure laziness. How can it be so important if you can't even take time to explain.

Anyways **** the rest of your trash in text format.
Original post by fatima1998
Wow what a news :congrats:
At least its not about Muslims :getmecoat:

Spoiler

In fact is has nothing whatsoever to do with Muslims, so why even bring it up?

Spoiler

Original post by Zargabaath
People whine about Islam being discussed all the time on TSR.
A thread has nothing to do with Islam and a Muslim brings up Islam.

The hypocrisy is real :rofl:

OMG ikr!!!

I didn't see your post until after I responded to her's... what a joke.
Reply 93
People can be privileged in some ways and oppressed in others. Classism and oppression based on financial circumstances is an important part of discussions of oppression. Both the people on your example have privilege but also are marginalised or oppressed. However if the discussion is about racism the second student's voice isn't relevant. If the discussion is about classism then the first student's voice isn't relevant.

I was under the impression this conference was about oppression and disadvantagement in all it's forms? So why are white men in general being barred from attending, even when those from poor and disadvantaged white backgrounds would be able to contribute something meaningful to some of the discussions?

I am finding it very difficult to see the reasoning behind this ban as anything other than irrational bigotry and hatred towards white men, from organisers who have swallowed the old social justice propaganda that all white men just live the lap of luxury, exploit everybody else and never face any hardship whatsoever. "We can just ignore and exclude those white men, they couldn't possibly have anything useful to contribute, they would probably just say a load racist and sexist things anyway, as is their nature".
Original post by Asiimov
If as a marginalised person *laughs hysterically* you cannot be bothered to explain your "oppression" to someone, then don't expect them to care about it or help you. Its pure laziness. How can it be so important if you can't even take time to explain.

Anyways **** the rest of your trash in text format.

If you can't be bothered to do research into some of the hardships a group of people face, why would you want to join in a discussion about the hardships that group of people face? Why would anyone want to listen to your opinion on the matter?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Wōden
I was under the impression this conference was about oppression and disadvantagement in all it's forms? So why are white men in general being barred from attending, even when those from poor and disadvantaged white backgrounds would be able to contribute something meaningful to some of the discussions?

I am finding it very difficult to see the reasoning behind this ban as anything other than irrational bigotry and hatred towards white men, from organisers who have swallowed the old social justice propaganda that all white men just live the lap of luxury, exploit everybody else and never face any hardship whatsoever. "We can just ignore and exclude those white men, they couldn't possibly have anything useful to contribute, they would probably just say a load racist and sexist things anyway, as is their nature".

White men aren't barred. They can go to the conference. But there are also breakaway groups for people with certain characteristics to discuss issues they face which are specific to their race/gender/sexuality/disability.

So a black lesbian woman would not be allowed into the disability discussion and a disabled straight Asian man is barred from the LGBT group.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by wickedisgood
Racism against white people is not a thing. You can be prejudiced to white people, you can't be racist. Racism is based on systematic oppression and power structures that suggest that there is a race that is superior to others. White people have the power in society and do not experience oppression on the basis of their race, therefore it's not racism.

I do think it doesn't make sense to not allow straight, white, able-bodied men at all though; maybe they should have just had a maximum number or something.

But it's funny how if this was reversed and it was another all-white-guys conference and a minority group complained about it, they'd say people were overreacting and it wasn't a big deal.

Spoiler

Reply 97
Original post by Shumaya
The discussion groups are for the specific issues faced by ethnic minorities/LGBT/disabled people. The working class white person may have their own hardships, but the groups are not for them. It's like going to a cancer support group and talking about the hardships you face as someone living with diabetes.

If people feel like the hardships they face as working class people are enough to warrant a discussion group, they should start one.

Lots of people have tried to discuss issues pertaining exclusively to disadvantaged whites. They are invariably decryed as "RACISTS!!" "FASCISTS!!" "NAZIS!!" "WHITE SUPREMACISTS!!", and the issues are promptly dismissed and ignored.
Original post by ChefExxxcellence
That doesn't make it good - you can't punish people for the actions of what some of their ancestors may or may not have done. Yes, racism against whites is a thing, just like racism against other minorities is also a thing. Let's try and end it and in order to do that, you should be letting straight white males partake in the equality conference...
Yeah m8 I don't disagree with you
Original post by RayApparently
It's not the same lol
Great point, well made. You've really opened my eyes. My life has been changed forever.
Original post by Nidhoggr
Because racism is prejudice + power

Ok so the implication here is anywhere where I do not have the power, I can make prejudiced actions without being a racist. So, if I go over to Japan and proceed to call the good people there squinty eyed *****, then I'm not being racist.

Isn't that neat? Seems fair to me.
Original post by wickedisgood
Living in one of the 'most tolerant' countries doesn't mean oppression doesn't still exist in a systematic sense. Women do not have equal pay, the majority of the higher ups in this country are white men, although it's under the radar and hard to prove, there's still high chances of people of colour losing out on jobs due to their race. Things are improving, I know that, but it's not fully gone at all.

Maybe people aren't actively saying 'these groups of people are bad', but saying that there is no oppression and that everyone is treated equally in terms of 'the system' would be ignorant.

I just found the Gender Studies student!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending