The Student Room Group

Further Maths AQA GCSE exams

Scroll to see replies

Original post by notnek
What was the original question?

The question on the previous page of this thread (may have been page 2) which Ano1234 made up.

However, it has now been explained by Ano1234 and Zacken.
Reply 61
Original post by thomassbryan
Further Maths isn't timetabled at my school so it is mostly self taught - I'm just doing a past paper a week and seeking help with the questions I don't understand.

It's exactly the same at my school, however I have around 4 days completely free to revise for paper 1 after my other exams and 8 days for paper 2 so lots of cramming
Hi, I'm taking further maths too. :smile: the whole of top set at my school has to take it, and I hated it at first but now it's ok! I'm not sure why, I find it easier than GCSE Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
Original post by Rangzii
Hi, I'm taking further maths too. :smile: the whole of top set at my school has to take it, and I hated it at first but now it's ok! I'm not sure why, I find it easier than GCSE Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I doubt there are many people who find further maths easier than GCSE!

Have you tried past papers?
Original post by notnek
I doubt there are many people who find further maths easier than GCSE!

Have you tried past papers?

Yep! I'm only predicted an A in GCSE maths but in further I get A*s on the papers... I don't understand how or why 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
Original post by Rangzii
Yep! I'm only predicted an A in GCSE maths but in further I get A*s on the papers... I don't understand how or why 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've never heard of that before. They should put you in a museum.
Original post by notnek
I've never heard of that before. They should put you in a museum.

I'm getting a sense of hostility?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
Original post by Rangzii
I'm getting a sense of hostility?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure why you'd think that but I can assure you that there is no hostility whatsoever :smile:

I'm a teacher and I've honestly never heard of a student doing better in Further Maths than maths at GCSE. I find it intriguing.

If you want me to put my serious hat on, there has to have been some failing by your school if you don't get an A* in maths but can get an A* in Further Maths.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by notnek
I'm not sure why you'd think that but I can assure you that there is no hostility whatsoever :smile:

I'm a teacher and I've honestly never heard of a student doing better in Further Maths than maths at GCSE. I find it intriguing.

If you want me to put my serious hat on, there has to have been some failing by your school if you don't get an A* in maths but can get an A* in Further Maths.

Ah well, my primary school never taught me maths properly, since when I didn't understand they simply moved me down maths groups, instead of explaining it to me. I've improved a lot since then, but I get panicky in exams etc., I had a panic attack yesterday in the maths exam which is why I think my target is a bit lower, to lower the pressure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 69
Anecdote:

In my mock GCSE exams, I ended up getting something like 98/100 (A*) on my Add Maths exam and 85/100 (A) in my Maths exam, it was a mock, so no scaling or UMS or anything and I got an A* in both in the actual exams. It wasn't that I found maths harder per se, just that I was more prone to not reading the question properly in maths and ended up making stupid mistakes. I did better mark-wise in my Add Maths real exam than the maths exam as well, I think I misread a question on probability in the maths exam and answered the wrong thing. :lol:
I make wayyy less mistakes in further maths than normal GCSE, so even though the content is harder, I tend to drop less marks in further. Also the grade boundaries are so low that it's easier to get an A* in further (especially since there's the A^ too) than it is in GCSE. That's probably why you find it easier to get A*s in it.

Original post by Rangzii

Posted from TSR Mobile
Help on this question anyone? ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465567183.523355.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 72
Original post by BobbiBlue
Help on this question anyone? ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465567183.523355.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

You need to complete the square. Have you done this before when the first term has a coefficient > 1 ?

Post your working.
Original post by notnek
You need to complete the square. Have you done this before when the first term has a coefficient > 1 ?

Post your working.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465585474.279618.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 74

Once you take the 3 outside the brackets, you need to keep it there for the rest of your working.

I don't have time right now to give a better explanation. I recommend you ask this and future questions in the maths forum. This thread isn't very active.
Original post by notnek
Once you take the 3 outside the brackets, you need to keep it there for the rest of your working.

I don't have time right now to give a better explanation. I recommend you ask this and future questions in the maths forum. This thread isn't very active.

I don't understand it is outside the brackets, is this answer not right then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just arrived at this thread. Can someone give me the hardest further maths question they can find, please.
Reply 77
Original post by Redcoats
Just arrived at this thread. Can someone give me the hardest further maths question they can find, please.

Given that 32x+3x+5+6=0 3^{2x} + 3^{x+5} +6=0 . Find the values of 9x 9^x .
hi! I'm doing further maths but I lowkey wish I wasn't rn because both of my exams clash with ocr science ones (further bio and further physics)
I'm good at maths and I'm taking it for A level but I do find some stuff in further quite difficult...I struggle to apply things to questions.
Good thing you can get an A with like 50% :biggrin:
Original post by Ano123
Given that 32x+3x+5+6=0 3^{2x} + 3^{x+5} +6=0 . Find the values of 9x 9^x .

Let u = 3x

Substitute this into the above equation: u2 + 35(u) + 6 = 0

Solve the above quadratic with the quadratic formula:

u = [-35 +- sqrt(310 - 24)]/2

Remember u equals 3x

Therefore 3x = -0.0246 ..... or 3x = -242.975 ....

9x = (3x)2

Thus, we square both sides of our 3x values to get values for 9x:

9x = 59036.99939 ..... OR 9x = 0.000609787089 ....

Quick Reply

Latest