The Student Room Group

CCEA GCSE exams 2016 *official only CCEA thread*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tearsforyears
for the question asking what molecule does a bacterium use to produce protein did anyone write amino acid?? im not sure if i got it right.

Did it definitely ask protein?
Original post by Okdmd46
Did it definitely ask protein?

yeah i think so...? it was the double award paper.

Fck i didnt see protein i wrote about something way different like bacterium or something

Was mitosis an answer for one of those gentic engineeringg questions? Did u draw a cows chromosone and label the gene? Same chromosome as a human?
Original post by jackcoys
I messed up 1 or 2 questions. I got a little messed up on. I can get 77% and get an A* still so i'm not too bothered. My controlled assessment was full marks and I got 127 for unit 1.

Anyway. The exam was okay. Most of it was straightforward.

Yes, it was off-the-job training. They highlighted "at a training centre" in the question. Induction training (which many people put) can fall under off/on the job therefore it would be incorrect as per CCEA's mark scheme with an identical question last year.

Cash flow, the question about if it's inaccurate? Basically said that if it's inaccurate you won't have the cash at the right time to pay suppliers and with a lack of raw materials you may not be able to produce and therefore result in closing down. You won't be able to get loans from banks if your cash flow is unreliable/inaccurate and you won't be able to pay staff. That's what I said.

Only other question I got messed up on was application letter. Didn't have a clue. I thought it'd be similar to an application form and put that they can tailor it to the exact needs of a business however the employee can falsify their information on the document.

For the last question:

The business is net profit percentage = 30% therefore a business is making 30% profits per £1. Therefore the business is making 30p profits per every £1 it sells so we can see that the business is making a profit. Successful businesses make a profit.

Then from part A of the question we knew that they were growing and experiencing economies of scale so I mentioned about how growing with economies of scale and increasing your market share is a sign of success in the business.

I was struggling a bit with the off-the-job training question since I didn't revise the specifics advantages and disadvantages of on and off the job in detail. I was able to conjure up an advantage and disadvantage, especially since we did a bunch on training for our controlled assessment. I think I put it would allow the employees to earn more skills and hence increase their efficiency/level of production and the disadvantage would they would have to be be removed from work, possibly reducing potential sales. For the last question I was thinking about analysing their Net Profit Percentage, but since it said 'using all the information you've gathered' or something I just wrote about their increased sales and good cash flow. I had the 'signs of business success' memorized and those were two of them, hopefully I can still get the marks.

Overall the paper wasn't too bad for me. I was pretty confident going into it and I'm still confident I've done alright. I liked the unit 1 paper as well, so hopefully it all goes alright.

The Biology paper was alright. Compared to Biology Unit 1 it was an absolute god send. I wasn't able to write much on the IVF question since I didn't know it in great detail but most things were fine. Still love how they give us a couple thousand lines for those six markers when they can be fully done in like half of that.

for the question asking what molecule does a bacterium use to produce protein did anyone write amino acid?? im not sure if i got it right.

I put amino acids as well. It was the first question my friend and I discussed after the exam and he wrote amino acids as well. It only makes sense, because amino acids do join together to form proteins.

Original post by Okdmd46
Was mitosis an answer for one of those gentic engineeringg questions? Did u draw a cows chromosone and label the gene? Same chromosome as a human?

I wrote Mitosis there as well. And yeah, I just drew a short length of a chromosome and shaded in a wee bit for a gene.

Any further maths people here? I'm absolutely screwed for these two papers. Pure mathematics isn't that bad but I genuinely know ZERO mechanics and statistics. Welp.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm in year 11 so I'm just doing pure maths. I'm really nervous but I know that mechanics and statistics is worse.glad to hear that biology unit 2 was okay. Can you remember what else came up on the paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile
in unit 2 biology what did you guys draw for the stomata never closing graph and what times were they closed most for?
Original post by GoNinty
I was struggling a bit with the off-the-job training question since I didn't revise the specifics advantages and disadvantages of on and off the job in detail. I was able to conjure up an advantage and disadvantage, especially since we did a bunch on training for our controlled assessment. I think I put it would allow the employees to earn more skills and hence increase their efficiency/level of production and the disadvantage would they would have to be be removed from work, possibly reducing potential sales. For the last question I was thinking about analysing their Net Profit Percentage, but since it said 'using all the information you've gathered' or something I just wrote about their increased sales and good cash flow. I had the 'signs of business success' memorized and those were two of them, hopefully I can still get the marks.

Overall the paper wasn't too bad for me. I was pretty confident going into it and I'm still confident I've done alright. I liked the unit 1 paper as well, so hopefully it all goes alright.

The Biology paper was alright. Compared to Biology Unit 1 it was an absolute god send. I wasn't able to write much on the IVF question since I didn't know it in great detail but most things were fine. Still love how they give us a couple thousand lines for those six markers when they can be fully done in like half of that.

I put amino acids as well. It was the first question my friend and I discussed after the exam and he wrote amino acids as well. It only makes sense, because amino acids do join together to form proteins.

I wrote Mitosis there as well. And yeah, I just drew a short length of a chromosome and shaded in a wee bit for a gene.

Any further maths people here? I'm absolutely screwed for these two papers. Pure mathematics isn't that bad but I genuinely know ZERO mechanics and statistics. Welp.

The question about the benefit of microbes being immobilised what did u answer? The question about the tree and about losing leaves what did u answer?
I do further maths, I'm actually crapping myself for these two exams, I've got eight exams in a row and I don't think I'll have much time to revise 😕 I'm just going to try past papers for revision
Original post by Okdmd46

yeah mitosis was an answer
i draw like that chromosone thing and then shaded a wee bit of it but other people were telling me they drew an animal cell so idk
Woah. Don't know how people have eight exams left. I had 19 exams (including repeats) and have 4 left. Triple award science and physics unit 1 triple award. I haven't had more than 2 exams a week apart from this week with eng, german, re and business studies.
Original post by jackcoys
Woah. Don't know how people have eight exams left. I had 19 exams (including repeats) and have 4 left. Triple award science and physics unit 1 triple award. I haven't had more than 2 exams a week apart from this week with eng, german, re and business studies.

I still have 5 left, and my friend who only has 2 left seems to like rubbing in that fact :| (he choose Art for GCSE, so that means he has to do two less exams than me, the bugger). I have 18 total, my school makes us do our Unit 1 and Unit 2 exams at the same time. 5 exams left isn't great, but the fact that they're spread out is relieving considering I've done 6 this week. I need a break x_x
yeah mitosis was an answer
i draw like that chromosone thing and then shaded a wee bit of it but other people were telling me they drew an animal cell so idk

Animal cell isnt on double award spec so i would doubt it
Original post by gabrielealek
in unit 2 biology what did you guys draw for the stomata never closing graph and what times were they closed most for?

I drew it very high during 12-4 pm and it think i said like times of 1pm to 4pm or 5pm cant mind now
Original post by chemistrynerd13
I'm in year 11 so I'm just doing pure maths. I'm really nervous but I know that mechanics and statistics is worse.glad to hear that biology unit 2 was okay. Can you remember what else came up on the paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What was so hard about unit one bio in may? I know the one in feb was probs the easiest bio test i have sat
Original post by chemistrynerd13

What was so bad about may 16 bio? I know the b1 in feb was probs easiest bio test i have sat
Anyone doing Chemistry Unit 1 Wednesday (Triple Award) I got a low A last year and am repeating this year. I've revised Acids Bases and Salts, Bonding and Structures and have the easier topics left. Unit 1 of Chem and Physics become so much easier when you do unit 2. I just wish I had the knowledge now that I had this time last year and i'd of easily got an A*. Don't have much time considering I have biology unit 2 on Friday. Micro biology, variation left to revise for that.
I have 8 left :frown: 1 bio paper, 2 chemistry papers, 2 physics papers, 2 further maths papers and an RE Paper, all squished together.

What exam were/are people most worried for??
[QUOTE=Tsunaomi;65664785]I have 8 left :frown: 1 bio paper, 2 chemistry papers, 2 physics papers, 2 further maths papers and an RE Paper, all squished together.

What exam were/are people most worried for??

physics unit 2 😥
What was so bad about may 16 bio? I know the b1 in feb was probs easiest bio test i have sat

It was Just way too long. There was too much information given on the paper so if you read the stuff given, then you ran out of time. This meant I had to leave out the final 4 marks on the paper. Also the six mark was quite strange- it was about a man producing hydrochloric acid in the stomach. Isn't your paper the one that got a six mark on quadrats? What grade did you get in it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest