The Student Room Group

(AS) OCR Chemistry salters depth paper (10/6/16)

How did everyone find the paper? I have no idea but it was better than the breadth paper for sure

Scroll to see replies

Original post by stm_
How did everyone find the paper? I have no idea but it was better than the breadth paper for sure

I thought it was good :smile: the branched carboxylic acid was a bit mean and the pV=nRT question was also a bit mean with all the units
Reply 2
I did my enthalpy profile diagram the wrong way!! I'm so DUMBBB! The rest of it was okay though. How many marks do you think I've lost for that question? I am so annoyed at myself for getting it wrong!!!
Also what did you guys get for the structure at the end?
Original post by aliyah99
I did my enthalpy profile diagram the wrong way!! I'm so DUMBBB! The rest of it was okay though. How many marks do you think I've lost for that question? I am so annoyed at myself for getting it wrong!!!

methylpropanoic acid :smile:
Original post by elisha.marsh

Oops :/

I got ethyl ethanoate (ester). What's the difference regarding IR spectra and mass spectra? They both have the same molecular formula.
(edited 7 years ago)

What enthalpy profile diagram? Did I miss a page or something?

Edit: oh, you mean the Hess cycle?
Reply 6
Original post by Jamesinatr
What enthalpy profile diagram? Did I miss a page or something?

Edit: oh, you mean the Hess cycle?

Yeah that one! But I just looked in book and I thiink I just drew the arrow going downwards instead of upwards so not as bad as I thought!
Reply 7
Original post by elisha.marsh

Yeahh I got that too! But I didn't name it though :/ oops,
Yeahh I got that too! But I didn't name it though :/ oops,

I just googled the name :smile:

The specification says we don't need to be able to name esters, carboxylic acids, acid anhydrides etc, so a structural formula and the word 'ester' should be fine I would guess.
Yeah that one! But I just looked in book and I thiink I just drew the arrow going downwards instead of upwards so not as bad as I thought!

Wait, what was the question? I thought they gave you combustion and asked you to work out formation, so aren't the arrows supposed to point downwards?
I just googled the name :smile:

The specification says we don't need to be able to name esters, carboxylic acids, acid anhydrides etc, so a structural formula and the word 'ester' should be fine I would guess.

Okay that's alright then. But I thought it was a carboxylic acid not an ester?
Wait, what was the question? I thought they gave you combustion and asked you to work out formation, so aren't the arrows supposed to point downwards?

Ohh noo I wasn't talking about the Hess's cycle, it was the enthalpy profile diagram.
Also Jamesinatr when did you have to work out the enthalpy change of formation? I do not remember a question on that!?
Also Jamesinatr when did you have to work out the enthalpy change of formation? I do not remember a question on that!?

I probably misread it or forgot the question then, sorry
Okay that's alright then. But I thought it was a carboxylic acid not an ester?

I guess it is then. Do you remember what the IR peak was?
Oops :/

I got ethyl ethanoate (ester). What's the difference regarding IR spectra and mass spectra? They both have the same molecular formula.

I got ethyl ethanoate as well
Reply 16
For an O-H bond, does the peak always have to be broad because it wasn't in the last question
I guess it is then. Do you remember what the IR peak was?

I found the c=o peak and the o-h peak I don't remember the exact numbers but it was in the range on the formula sheet.
I found the c=o peak and the o-h peak I don't remember the exact numbers but it was in the range on the formula sheet.

The o-h peak should have been broad then but it was not. I found no o-h peak.
Reply 19
Original post by Joshua98
The o-h peak should have been broad then but it was not. I found no o-h peak.

Same, because it said in brackets it should be broad that's why I got a C=H (c-h?) bond instead

Quick Reply

Latest