The Student Room Group

Do you receive a letter if you have passed the first year of your HND?

My son has just finished the first year of his BTEC HND in Health and Social Care. He plans on returning to college in September. Just wondered if it is usual practice for colleges to notify students if they have passed their first year of the course or not? Thanks.
Original post by markova21
My son has just finished the first year of his BTEC HND in Health and Social Care. He plans on returning to college in September. Just wondered if it is usual practice for colleges to notify students if they have passed their first year of the course or not? Thanks.

Yes, they should have access to either their student record with all of their grades on or they should get a transcript at the end of the academic year.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Yes, they should have access to either their student record with all of their grades on or they should get a transcript at the end of the academic year.

Thank you. Do you mind if i ask you something else? I was just on another forum and parents on there were saying about applying for funding for the third year of the course. It made me think, do we have to apply to the Student Loans Company ourselves for my son's second year of funding now, or will they contact us to re-apply for funding from September? What I mean is ,do we wait for them to contact us?
(edited 7 years ago)

I would have thought he would get a letter and certificate from whatever education authority deals with exams/results, such as SQA, or whatever the Welsh, Irish, English equivalents are, and whichever applies to you.
Thank you. Do you mind if i ask you something else? I was just on another forum and parents on there were saying about applying for funding for the third year of the course. It made me think, do we have to apply to the Student Loans Company ourselves for my son's second year of funding now, or will they contact us to re-apply for funding from September? What I mean is ,do we wait for them to contact us?

You reapply every year around spring time ( so for his 3rd year he'd need to do it next april).
Reply 5
You reapply every year around spring time ( so for his 3rd year he'd need to do it next april).

Thank you. His course at the local college only lasts for two years. He just this week finished the first year. Going back in Sept hopefully for the final ,second year. Do we have to re-apply ourselves then?
Thank you. His course at the local college only lasts for two years. He just this week finished the first year. Going back in Sept hopefully for the final ,second year. Do we have to re-apply ourselves then?

So he hasn't reapplied at all this year? He should have gotten an email a couple of months back to do it, in which case yes you do.
Reply 7
So he hasn't reapplied at all this year? He should have gotten an email a couple of months back to do it, in which case yes you do.

Oh crap. He didn't mention getting an email. He's a swine for not checking them though. [We live in Northern Ireland BTW]. Thank you.
Oh crap. He didn't mention getting an email. He's a swine for not checking them though. [We live in Northern Ireland BTW]. Thank you.

If you're with SFni, there is a possibility that unless your household income changed, that as he wouldnt need evidence from you that he could have reapplied himself already but double check to be sure :smile:
this link explains the reapplication process:
http://www.studentfinanceni.co.uk/portal/page?_pageid=54,1266766&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL
Reply 9
If you're with SFni, there is a possibility that unless your household income changed, that as he wouldnt need evidence from you that he could have reapplied himself already but double check to be sure :smile:
this link explains the reapplication process:
http://www.studentfinanceni.co.uk/portal/page?_pageid=54,1266766&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

Thank you. I phoned him up and he said he received an email from the college a few months ago about continuing with the course, but nothing from Student Finance. I've just been on Student Finance NI's website. It says, "If you have already applied for student finance for an earlier year of your current course you will be contacted automatically with details of how to apply for the coming year". But then in another part it says "Apply now". Think I will phone them, or get my son to, on Monday.
Thank you. I phoned him up and he said he received an email from the college a few months ago about continuing with the course, but nothing from Student Finance. I've just been on Student Finance NI's website. It says, "If you have already applied for student finance for an earlier year of your current course you will be contacted automatically with details of how to apply for the coming year". But then in another part it says "Apply now". Think I will phone them, or get my son to, on Monday.

Sounds like the email could have gone into junk, just get him to give them a call on monday and they should be able to direct him to the correct link or send him the form :smile:
Reply 11
Sounds like the email could have gone into junk, just get him to give them a call on monday and they should be able to direct him to the correct link or send him the form :smile:

Will do,and thanks once again.[Was having a bit of a panic at first.!]
Reply 12
Hello again Claire. I hope you don't mind but i've one more question for you. [Sorry if i'm being a nuisance]. I've just been reading the Student Finance info again. It says the student will get funding after their HND has finished ,and it will continue on for the final year of a degree if a student wanted to top up their HND. The only problem is, BTEC haven't included enough modules on the course for it to be equivalent to the first two years of a degree. It is only worth the first year and if after obtaining a HND students are eligible to enter the SECOND year of a degree ,not the final year. It's the same situation with a Foundation Degree, I think. Will this affect the funding,do you think? Thank you so much for your help.
Reply 13
Well my son this morning received a transcript of the first year of his results. 6 Merits and 2 Passes. He had a few personal problems over the year, including losing his top front tooth ,and having to wait six months for the gum to heal before being able to have a replacement fitted. He would spend every day at college being incredibly self conscious about it, trying to hide the fact he had a missing tooth from all his friends,which culminated in him skipping his lunch at college every day so no-one would see the gap in his mouth. Relieved for him he now has his nice smile back, and that he has passed his units for this year.

Quick Reply

Latest