Absolutely fantastic! 31%
Good 34%
So so 17%
Could have been quite a bit better 9%
Totally rubbish 6%
Why did I even bother taking chemistry this year3%
Total votes: 35
Hi guys!

I've just noticed the lack of discussion after the chat and would like to know people's opinions/answers/concerns from the exam :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Is this for OCR A or OCR B (Salters)? Both exams were today and both are new specs.
Reply 2
This is for OCR A. Thanks for reminding me, I'll change the title when I'm in my laptop :smile:
Is there an unofficial mark scheme anywhere?
Reply 4
For the PV=nRT question, id someone get somewhere around 304? im not sure if thats correct. The answer i got was 3..4 i cant remember the middle number.
nah nah it was like 4x10^6 pascals, think about it, it was in a pressurised container and atmospheric pressure is 1x10^3 so it wont be 304.
Reply 6
Original post by carlinhos1999
nah nah it was like 4x10^6 pascals, think about it, it was in a pressurised container and atmospheric pressure is 1x10^3 so it wont be 304.

4x10^6 sounds like a familiar thing that i wrote in the exam... i wonder if i got 304 for a different answer...
i got 1.85g for the mass of srco3, like 67% for percentage yield, methylpropanoic acid for the last one, rate of reaction like 6x10^-3
got the group 2 metal as calcium
I had 1 minute left in the exam to finish 2 questions so had to rush the equations for NO atmosphere question and yield(?) equation. I think I did them both wrong though lmao I put random equations and just numbers
Reply 10
got the group 2 metal as calcium

Same 😀
for the analytical techniques I got butanoic acid, not methylpentanoic acid
I found a mz+ (or something) and got C3H5+ from my butanoic acid and just registered it as that.
There wasn't an indication that it had a methyl group was there?
I put:
found formula
m/z = 88
molecular mass = 88
(question said final line was due to carbocations)
absorption peaks etc
drew butanoic acid
found a mz+ to help prove it's butanoic acid
and then rush off for a different question for the last minute
What did you get for the last one. I think it is 2 methyl propanoic acid.

Edit: post hoc Reason:

dfsfasd.png
Attachment not found
(edited 7 years ago)
on the left it said mr peak 43 was a secondary carbocation so it cant be butanoic acid cause that would be a primary carbocation xx
on the left it said mr peak 43 was a secondary carbocation so it cant be butanoic acid cause that would be a primary carbocation xx

it was the 45 peak but see my previous comment with the actual mass spectra
yeah you're right was 45, and judging by graphs it was methyl propanoic acid
Original post by laney1999
4x10^6 sounds like a familiar thing that i wrote in the exam... i wonder if i got 304 for a different answer...

I'm pretty sure i got 6.44x10^6 or something similar
Hi just wondering if anybody can remember the topics that came up? Thanks
Reply 18

Different fragments can be produced from butanoic acid, and one of them is the propyl ion. If the carbon in the middle of the propyl is ionised, that's a secondary carbocation (it would have two alkyl - methyl - groups attached)
(edited 7 years ago)
Has anyone got the unofficial mark scheme for this paper?

Quick Reply

Latest