The Student Room Group

Love physics, hate physics A Level

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zacken
Don't tell me you're an Oxford offer-holder. :colonhash:

I was trolling haha. Nothing against Oxford but it's not in the same league as Cambridge for maths. Warwick mate
Reply 21
Original post by TheFarmerLad
I was trolling haha. Nothing against Oxford but it's not in the same league as Cambridge for maths. Warwick mate

Ooh, yes. Warwick is bae, I'll probably be seeing you there come October! :tongue:
Reply 22
Anyone else feel this way? Revising physics A Level is a pain in the bloody arse which is frustrating as it's such a fascinating subject imo. The questions are just so incredibly tedious, there's hardly any maths involved and the markscheme is always slightly different when a repeated question comes up. Why can't there be more emphasis on getting a long calculation right rather than counting squares to figure out the impulse or converting prefixes? **** you OCR A

There should be a separate "Physics with Maths" A-level. You can get A* in Physics if you've read a few mark schemes and learnt M3.

On the other hand, I would have been put off swapping a subject for Physics (I joined the class late) if it required maths. I think the introductory level stuff in Physics actually motivated me to take up A-level maths; without it, I probably wouldn't have applied to do Physics at university.

Also, I like that 51% for an A exists (AQA Unit 5D June 2012). :lol:
Original post by ombtom
There should be a separate "Physics with Maths" A-level. You can get A* in Physics if you've read a few mark schemes and learnt M3.

On the other hand, I would have been put off swapping a subject for Physics (I joined the class late) if it required maths. I think the introductory level stuff in Physics actually motivated me to take up A-level maths; without it, I probably wouldn't have applied to do Physics at university.

I think I would be so good at that :lol:
Original post by ombtom

Really?
Original post by Zacken
Ooh, yes. Warwick is bae, I'll probably be seeing you there come October! :tongue:

Not confident on Cambridge then?
Reply 26
Really?

I'll find out in August. :redface:
Original post by Zacken

@Ayman! tell him to shut up pls :colonhash:
Original post by Student403
@Ayman! tell him to shut up pls :colonhash:

i've got this.

Original post by Zacken

:hand:
Reply 29
Original post by Zacken

You're not going to Warwick, fam. You can't do physics. :rofl:

To all that think physics is annoying to revise for - you haven't seen what A-level Chemistry is like. :mad2:
Anyone else feel this way? Revising physics A Level is a pain in the bloody arse which is frustrating as it's such a fascinating subject imo. The questions are just so incredibly tedious, there's hardly any maths involved and the markscheme is always slightly different when a repeated question comes up. Why can't there be more emphasis on getting a long calculation right rather than counting squares to figure out the impulse or converting prefixes? **** you OCR A

**** that counting squares **** lol
Original post by Zacken

I haven't kept up with your blog but didn't you want to go to Cambridge?
Reply 32
Original post by hezzlington
I haven't kept up with your blog but didn't you want to go to Cambridge?

That's still the plan, meeting the offer is looking very hard though. :tongue:
No matter how much I go over the topics that come up, the mark scheme will always win.......
The trick is not to pick it.
AQA are pretty straight forward with thier questions at AS, it's when it gets to A2 where things can be a bit weird. :s: (multiple choice :shakecane:)

But I quite like the physics course so far, even though there is countless past papers to be done. The actual principles and concepts are very applicable to daily life and are interesting to learn.
Original post by aamirac
AQA are pretty straight forward with thier questions at AS, it's when it gets to A2 where things can be a bit weird. :s: (multiple choice :shakecane:)

But I quite like the physics course so far, even though there is countless past papers to be done. The actual principles and concepts are very applicable to daily life and are interesting to learn.

Yes... a bit of SHM :mmm:

If your A2 MC is anything like the one I did with AQA, it won't be too bad in the end :tongue: some questions that come up may be similar to practice/past paper questions too :lol: (in some questions you can eliminate some wrong answers very quickly too)
Original post by SeanFM
Yes... a bit of SHM :mmm:

If your A2 MC is anything like the one I did with AQA, it won't be too bad in the end :tongue: some questions that come up may be similar to practice/past paper questions too :lol: (in some questions you can eliminate some wrong answers very quickly too)

Indeed so :giggle:

That's very true, there are some MC questions that come up a few times that are exactly the same.
I think in the one I do, there are MC in all the exams we have. :redface:
Some of them are so long winded and require a lot for just one mark. (Especially in mechanics :rofl:)
Reply 37
I swear integration is easier than counting squares anyway! There have been so many times where I've lost count of the squares and have to restart... :colonhash:
Original post by PhyM23
I swear integration is easier than counting squares anyway! There have been so many times where I've lost count of the squares and have to restart... :colonhash:

I know right, it's such an unnecessary arse-ache

1v1 me m8

Quick Reply

Latest