The Student Room Group

Don't do A levels.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BH1234
Thank you this had helped me make a good decision :smile:

Happy to help!
Reply 141
Original post by jessyjellytot14
Only problem is- there aren't a wide range of btecs like there are A-levels. For example, there aren't any btecs available that appeal to me or will get me to my ideal career, so I have no choice but to do A-levels.

what career are you looking to go in to?
Original post by BH1234
I thought you meant for ALL BTecs there would be exams, but if you are just talking about Health and Social Care then I do apologise!

I think most BTEC's are changing but i am only 100% sure of HSC.
Reply 143
Original post by Blackstarr
I think most BTEC's are changing but i am only 100% sure of HSC.

yeah have just checked and a few are, not mine though :biggrin:
It is ridiculous that the UK universities even accept Btecs given that if you look at any university outside of the UK they only want A-levels (+ IB) and would not even look at the lesser 'qualifications'. And people then wonder why the market for graduate jobs is oversaturated.
I have done both a btec and a-levels and have forgotten everything I learnt in the btec as there was no pressure to learn it properly, just learn enough to pass the assignment then forget it all and move onto the next assignment. If we failed the teacher would give us the same test again with different values :laugh:

Where as with a-levels you have to remember and fully understand the content to do well as there is an actual test on it, forcing you to learn it properly.
Just focus on yourself jfc, this debate has been bought up so many times. Both BTEC and A levels have their pros and cons so neither are better than the other.

I actually know someone who did a levels and had got rejected from doing children's nursing in uni just because she didn't have any experience. Whereas in BTEC you get to do several placements which allows you to pick up skills, knowledge and gives you an idea of working in the real world.
Hey TSR!Looking for broadband, and keen to gain a student discount? Sign up here- no commitment necessary https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https...04&h=aAQEhRBJ7
Reply 148
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
Just focus on yourself jfc, this debate has been bought up so many times. Both BTEC and A levels have their pros and cons so neither are better than the other.

I actually know someone who did a levels and had got rejected from doing children's nursing in uni just because she didn't have any experience. Whereas in BTEC you get to do several placements which allows you to pick up skills, knowledge and gives you an idea of working in the real world.

Why should I jut focus on myself? If everyone just focused on themselves we would still be in the stone age.

The whole point in my original post is that even though A levels may be more prestigious than B-Tecs.... A levels have a significantly worse work/reward ratio. And I am trying to give a more fair view to people that are undecided. Or perhaps in that same misguided position (where I though b-tecs were for dropouts) that I was.
Reply 149
Original post by Zacken
Did you ever consider that maybe, just maybe, the problem isn't the entire education system but it is rather yourself?

I know plenty of people, who need only put in 5 or so hours a week into A-Levels to get A*A*A. Since, apparently, anecdotal evidence is all that matters.

Not all people are born with that magical ability to remember everything they see. I am a rather average student. And because of that I have to work harder to get good grades. I am sure if everybody could get A*A*A* from only putting 5 hours of work a week in then we would see nobody getting anything below BBB. I think you are speaking of the minority, And I would assume that since you are probably friends with people that also achieve similar grades you have been mislead to believe that it's the norm.

And give that I am a rather average student I would assume many others have a similar experience of A levels. As backed up by http://tsrmatters.com/students-study-an-average-15-20-hours-per-week-for-their-a-levels/
Original post by hololand
Not all people are born with that magical ability to remember everything they see. I am a rather average student. And because of that I have to work harder to get good grades. I am sure if everybody could get A*A*A* from only putting 5 hours of work a week in then we would see nobody getting anything below BBB. I think you are speaking of the minority, And I would assume that since you are probably friends with people that also achieve similar grades you have been mislead to believe that it's the norm.

And give that I am a rather average student I would assume many others have a similar experience of A levels. As backed up by http://tsrmatters.com/students-study-an-average-15-20-hours-per-week-for-their-a-levels/

Well, yes, if you're an average student, then you should be getting average grades, no? That seems like the system is doing it's job well enough.
Reply 151
Original post by Zacken
Well, yes, if you're an average student, then you should be getting average grades, no? That seems like the system is doing it's job well enough.

Perhaps I was not clear enough, By average student I meant I am not super smart, but I am not stupid either.. I was referring to my memory retention. And thus, I must work harder to achieve good grades.
Reply 152
And back to the point. The fact that the average A level student has to work so much harder than a Btec student to even come close to achieving the same amount of UCAS points is ridiculous. If A levels really are better and more presitigous that B-tecs... Why is this not reflected in the amount of points awarded. Why can a B-tec student get 420 ucas points for 3 days of work a week. Whilst the average A level student would have to work 5 days a week + 15-20 hours. (essentially 7 days a week). to even get close to that.

It just shows how broken the system is.
If A levels are greater and more prestigious than equivalent B-Tecs
Why do B-Tecs get more UCAS points per hour worked?
Logic = broken.
Perhaps I was not clear enough, By average student I meant I am not super smart, but I am not stupid either.. I was referring to my memory retention. And thus, I must work harder to achieve good grades.

Maybe you should work smarter and not harder?
Someone could work really hard, but if they're not doing it right, they won't do well.
Just a thought.
Original post by Zacken

Wow. Amazed at the blatant condescension.
Reply 155
Original post by B_9710
Maybe you should work smarter and not harder?
Someone could work really hard, but if they're not doing it right, they won't do well.
Just a thought.

This is not the problem though, I am working smart and I am happy with the grades I am predicted. (at least in terms of A levels). The problem I have is why... just why a b-tec student that only works 3 days a week would just outshine me with 420 ucas points.... FOR LITERALLY NO COMPARABLE EFFORT.
And back to the point. The fact that the average A level student has to work so much harder than a Btec student to even come close to achieving the same amount of UCAS points is ridiculous. If A levels really are better and more presitigous that B-tecs... Why is this not reflected in the amount of points awarded. Why can a B-tec student get 420 ucas points for 3 days of work a week. Whilst the average A level student would have to work 5 days a week + 15-20 hours. (essentially 7 days a week). to even get close to that.

It just shows how broken the system is.
If A levels are greater and more prestigious than equivalent B-Tecs
Why do B-Tecs get more UCAS points per hour worked?
Logic = broken.

some courses dont consider btecs
some higher up unis dont consider btecs
ones that say they do, probably in practice favor alevels (I mean come on oxford say they consider btecs but have you actually heard of anyone there with one)

Really the top 15-20 places really dont normally take btec students, I havent had a friend who did a btec get into a top 20 university even though they all got DDM+

Also depending on the subject you do (talking more to engineering and sciences) you will be more prepared by doing alevels
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Hefty11
lmao uk education system is a joke and a lie

i say lets protest by over subscribing all the **** universities

whats wrong with the system
Reply 158
Original post by madmadmax321
some courses dont consider btecs
some higher up unis dont consider btecs
ones that say they do, probably in practice favor alevels (I mean come on oxford say they consider btecs but have you actually heard of anyone there with one)

Really the top 15-20 places really dont normally take btec students, I havent had a friend who did a btec get into a top 20 university even though they all got DDM+

Also depending on the subject you do (talking more to engineering and sciences) you will be more prepared by doing alevels

As true and reassuring as that is. I do not see why this is not reflected in UCAS points too. Unless you are doing the sciences and especially if you are going into a creative practical industry such as film, games design then you should certainly consider a B-Tec
As true and reassuring as that is. I do not see why this is not reflected in UCAS points too. Unless you are doing the sciences and especially if you are going into a creative practical industry such as film, games design then you should certainly consider a B-Tec

True but that isnt the point you seem to be putting across in this thread, all you seem to have said that btecs are easier and get you to the same place as a-levels which isnt the case. My point also holds for humanities at higher ranked unis and also for engineering

For the degree subjects you mentioned, yes an is probably better but not because its easier to get the grades but it will most likely be more beneficial as the way you approach those types of courses is very much coursework based rather than exam based, however you should be aware of that when choosing a potential subject area to go study at uni

Quick Reply

Latest