The Student Room Group

OCR geology unit 5 2016

How did everyone else do in this exam?

For me by far the hardest paper for unit 5 compared to the past papers.

Scroll to see replies

I didn't like it very much, praying for low grade boundaries right now
my whole class found it very easy, including the C and D grade students. Essays were quite nice and they could definitely have been far meaner with the radiometric dating and correlation, overall very good paper.
Original post by savingwonderland
my whole class found it very easy, including the C and D grade students. Essays were quite nice and they could definitely have been far meaner with the radiometric dating and correlation, overall very good paper.

Didn't like most of 6 and the second essay was harder than those in past papers since it needed you to link how volcanism affected each organism that went extinct so like how it would affect marine organisms.
Original post by Vikingninja
Didn't like most of 6 and the second essay was harder than those in past papers since it needed you to link how volcanism affected each organism that went extinct so like how it would affect marine organisms.

i fully got the organisms wrong in that essay but i linked it to why it would cause marine extinctions and then why it would cause terrestrial extinctions so still confident I got 6 or 7 out of 10, rest of the paper was a walk compared to other past papers, what was question 6 again?
i fully got the organisms wrong in that essay but i linked it to why it would cause marine extinctions and then why it would cause terrestrial extinctions so still confident I got 6 or 7 out of 10, rest of the paper was a walk compared to other past papers, what was question 6 again?

Question 6 was the graph you had to extend and all of the correlation stuff.

In the essay what things did you put down?
Question 6 was the graph you had to extend and all of the correlation stuff.

In the essay what things did you put down?

ohh yeah OCR f*cked up cause you couldnt fit the 3rd half life on the graph. All u had to do for the correlation was match up one of the beds of tuff cause it was chronostratigraphic. I talked about how it would cause extinction of terrestrial animals due to poisonous gases, then how it would cause marine and terrestrial extinction by creating a volcanic winter by the albido effect of the ash, then when this finished the excess CO2 would cause a global warming and then a runaway greenhouse effect which would have caused a rise in temp and how the fluctuation would cause extinction + temp rise would cause methane hydrate release which caused marine extinction
ohh yeah OCR f*cked up cause you couldnt fit the 3rd half life on the graph. All u had to do for the correlation was match up one of the beds of tuff cause it was chronostratigraphic. I talked about how it would cause extinction of terrestrial animals due to poisonous gases, then how it would cause marine and terrestrial extinction by creating a volcanic winter by the albido effect of the ash, then when this finished the excess CO2 would cause a global warming and then a runaway greenhouse effect which would have caused a rise in temp and how the fluctuation would cause extinction + temp rise would cause methane hydrate release which caused marine extinction

I just extended the graph but that was ridiculous, with the correlation did you correlate the two close beds?

For the essay I put the following:
Poisonous gases kill nearby creatures
Large scale lava flows do the same but also cause fires destroying further plants.
Reduction in plants starves terrestrial organisms.
Ash and particles cause global cooling and evaporates ocean water is trapped in ice so sea level fall.
In warming period organisms which migrated to originally shallow marine areas are killed by sea level rise (for some reason didn't put some higher level areas).
Then just how terrestrial organisms are affected by temperatures. I should've also put that for corals the area of tropics they live in would shrink in cooling.

Also with the trilobite with the eyes on stalks did you say it was burrowing?
(edited 7 years ago)
I just extended the graph but that was ridiculous, with the correlation did you correlate the two close beds?

Large scale lava flows do the same but also cause fires destroying further plants.
Ash and particles cause global cooling and evaporates ocean water is trapped in ice so sea level fall.
In warming period organisms which migrated to originally shallow marine areas are killed by sea level rise (for some reason didn't put some higher level areas).

sounds like you'd definitely have picked up at the very least 6 marks? I just correlated one bed of tuff cause it was the only chronostratigraphic sediment. Nah, calymene is infamously epifaunal cause of its many many legs and enrolment
sounds like you'd definitely have picked up at the very least 6 marks? I just correlated one bed of tuff cause it was the only chronostratigraphic sediment. Nah, calymene is infamously epifaunal cause of its many many legs and enrolment

I put it was burrowing because it's eyes were on high stalks which would poke out of sediment. The eyes were completely different to calymene.

Then just how terrestrial organisms are affected by temperatures. I should've also put that for corals the area of tropics they live in would shrink in cooling.

SiO2 causing acid rain affecting vegetation
Also have talk about how the volcanism caused desertification, thus making loss of marine habitat

I swear they were nektonic as it needed eyes for 360 vision
I put it was burrowing because it's eyes were on high stalks which would poke out of sediment. The eyes were completely different to calymene.

I researched it cause my teacher told me calymene had eyes on stalks and there's sub-catagories of calymene, some of which had eyes on stalks and thats what was in the exam, the only infaunal one on the ocr spec is trinucleus
Did not know there is A level Geology.
I researched it cause my teacher told me calymene had eyes on stalks and there's sub-catagories of calymene, some of which had eyes on stalks and thats what was in the exam, the only infaunal one on the ocr spec is trinucleus

why wasn't it nektonic
Original post by Pablo Picasso
why wasn't it nektonic

It could have been, I said mainly epifaunal benthonic, used many jointed appendages for walking but could also have been used for "paddling" and nektonic movement, gotta remember there will be multiple right answers cause we're only inferring mode of life
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ODES_PDES

now u know

A characteristic of calymene was that they had crescent shaped eyes set on the cheeks. This looked more like an asaphus where the eyes were on high stalks and weren't crescent shaped.

Original post by Pablo Picasso
SiO2 causing acid rain affecting vegetation
Also have talk about how the volcanism caused desertification, thus making loss of marine habitat

I swear they were nektonic as it needed eyes for 360 vision

The nektonic forms have forward stalks though this was on top. Also the exoskeleton wasn't suitable as a nektonic form.
Original post by ODES_PDES

There's only 18 students in my year, 2 people dropped it after AS. There were 3 classes in the year above and there are 2 below. It's quite a rare subject
A characteristic of calymene was that they had crescent shaped eyes set on the cheeks. This looked more like an asaphus where the eyes were on high stalks and weren't crescent shaped.

The nektonic forms have forward stalks though this was on top. Also the exoskeleton wasn't suitable as a nektonic form.

Guys i think this is going too deep for OCR, they will accept legit any answer as long as you've adequately justified it because reality is we don't know exactly how they lived
It could have been, I said mainly epifaunal benthonic, used many jointed appendages for walking but could also have been used for "paddling" and nektonic movement

It was 2 marker tho. Should've been too complication. 1 for mode of life, and 1 for one feature.

What did you write for how the enrolled trilobite moved ...
2 organisms that orodce verticle burrows (i wrote bivavles & trilobites)
What animal did you write for preserved exceptionally in the jurassic bed
2 evidence for bird evolved from dinosaurs

Ask if you couldnt answer a Q

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending