The Student Room Group

Post your fave quotes from TFIOS ❤️

1) Your fave quote from TFIOS
2) Does that quote have any meaning to you?
3) How much do you like that quote?
Reply 1
1) "Some infinites are bigger than other infinities"
2) Interesting ties to the cardinality of infinite sets, and how, for example the set of even numbers has the same size as the set of the set of all whole numbers. This can be made rigorous via some set theory and Cantor's diagonalisation argument.
3) **** TFIOS, maths is where it's at.
I know it's long but:

There are infinite numbers between 0 and 1. There's .1 and .12 and .112 and an infinite collection of others. Of course, there is a bigger infinite set of numbers between 0 and 2, or between 0 and a million. Some infinities are bigger than other infinities. A writer we used to like taught us that. There are days, many of them, when I resent the size of my unbounded set. I want more numbers than I'm likely to get, and God, I want more numbers for Augustus Waters than he got. But, Gus, my love, I cannot tell you how thankful I am for our little infinity. I wouldn't trade it for the world. You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I'm grateful.

This will forever be the part of the book that just makes me burst out crying and it's just so beautiful.
Reply 3
Original post by hoafanuk
I know it's long but:

There are infinite numbers between 0 and 1. There's .1 and .12 and .112 and an infinite collection of others. Of course, there is a bigger infinite set of numbers between 0 and 2, or between 0 and a million.

Wait, no... there are just as many numbers between 0 and 1 as there are between 0 and 2.
Ngl, I hated both the book and film.
Original post by Zacken
1) "Some infinites are bigger than other infinities"
2) Interesting ties to the cardinality of infinite sets, and how, for example the set of even numbers has the same size as the set of the set of all whole numbers. This can be made rigorous via some set theory and Cantor's diagonalisation argument.
3) **** TFIOS, maths is where it's at.

:lolwut:
*Places Zacken back into the maths forum* :console:
:teehee: :colondollar:
Reply 6
Original post by Pokémontrainer
:lolwut:
*Places Zacken back into the maths forum* :console:
:teehee: :colondollar:

This is what happens then the maths forum is inactive. I have to go elsewhere to get my fix, I've resorted to TFIOS!

Send help.
Original post by Zacken
This is what happens then the maths forum is inactive. I have to go elsewhere to get my fix, I've resorted to TFIOS!

Send help.

Maybe it just means that you've helped all the people that you can in the maths forum - job well done. :moon:
hold on
*jogs over to bookpile*

'I'm on a rollercoaster that only goes up, my friend.' Augustus,[pg 11]

'I bet you say that to all boys who finance your international travel.' Augustus,[pg 90]

'When the scientists of the future show up at my house with robot eyes and they tell me to try them on, I will tell the scientists to screw off, because I do not want to see a world without him.' -Isaac,[pg 258]
"That's the thing about pain... it demands to be felt" :ahee:

Loved the book and the film :biggrin:
Reply 10
'my anus is on fire tonight'
That is so beautiful.. :cry2:
Original post by Workangel_24
1) Your fave quote from TFIOS
2) Does that quote have any meaning to you?
3) How much do you like that quote?

1) 'My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations'
2) I just find it relatable cos I always think of super complex almost philosophical things about life and I really struggle to explain them to people and make them understand what I'm thinking.
3) Very much, it's one of my favourites from the book

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IFoundWonderland
Ngl, I hated both the book and film.

Me too. I mean, just the book and the film (I thought the film was significantly worse) on their own was pretty bad, but compared to the rest of John Green's book you could see how identical this book was to every other... I could go on a rant about all of its problems but I won't hijack the thread any more.
Reply 14
You are here to read about these numbers can drive you mad so ))

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending