The Student Room Group

Ribosomes and DNA replication - BIOL 5

I came across this question.

Complete the table with a tick if the statement is true, and across if the statement is incorrect.

The statement was "Ribosomes are required in DNA replication in living rganisms"

I put a tick. The answer was a cross indicating that ribosomes are not required. This is confusing me, as I thought the mRNA exited the nucleus and traveled to the ribosomes to be translated, or am I wrong?

Here is a screenshot of the question:
(edited 7 years ago)
You are correct that the ribosomes are involved in translation, but this is the process for protein synthesis, not DNA replication. Technically, ribosomes are not necessary for the actual semi-conservative replication of the DNA strand.
Reply 2
Original post by hoafanuk
You are correct that the ribosomes are involved in translation, but this is the process for protein synthesis, not DNA replication. Technically, ribosomes are not necessary for the actual semi-conservative replication of the DNA strand.

Oh!

DNA replication, we are talking mitosis?

That makes sense then! Thank you!
Reply 3
DNA is replicated by mitosis which doubles the volume of DNA which will then be put into a new cell
Reply 4
DNA replication is contained to the AS course so it would be a good idea to have a quick go over it :h:
Reply 5
Original post by Jehaan
DNA is replicated by mitosis which doubles the volume of DNA which will then be put into a new cell

Oh ok ok that's lit

thanks!
Reply 6
Yh, dna replication happens in the S phase of the cell cycle and not the mitosis division part, however it replicates in preparation for mitosis (not during it)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest