The Student Room Group

AQA Chemistry Unit 2 (resit) CHEM2 10th June

Scroll to see replies

hey look its human nature to remember the questions we get wrong or found really hard because we spend so much time thinking about it so focus on what you did well and you never know you might be surprised on the result day so put your worry in a box and put it under the bed or something and you can open it near the result day focus on your next exam and i am sure you haven't done as bad as you think
i didn't put partial charges on the compounds in any of the mechanisms:frown::frown: how many marks do u guys think i'll lose
Original post by girl :D
i didn't put partial charges on the compounds in any of the mechanisms:frown::frown: how many marks do u guys think i'll lose

I'm pretty sure they ignore partial charges on mechanisms.
hey so thanks for answering my question... umm i just looked though a couple of urs and well i kinda made allot of silly mistakes aswell so ur not alone and lol her i was thinking that im going crazy with stress think that i was the only one but dude ur more freaked out than me:tongue:
anyways i will try and answer urs as best as i can.
in regards to the tertiary carbocation confusion i think that the section was only one or 2 marks so they will mostly likely just deduct one mark as long as u wrote something along the lines of- 'reaction proceeds with carbocations'. i think that i saw this in one of the previous papers. with the next question lol i can't remember reading Sr any where:frown: i remember something about Ca. ok so with the next question i f***** up on the first part lol i didn't even read the full question, all i saw was the work fermentation and conditions and was like yh ***** and then i just wrote the conditions for fermentation only to later realise that it said hydration. anyways the disadv and adv part of the question was 4 marks. with the isomers question i think that they wanted you to have the letters E and Z. however, if u drew the right structures i.e 2 heavy compounds on the same side for Z and the opposite for E u might get a couple of marks. sorry if this is no help i think my brain need some rest
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Studious_Student
I'm pretty sure they ignore partial charges on mechanisms.

omd yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The ionisation energy question asked for why Strontium has a lower ionisation energy than Magnesium, you should get the marks.

For the conditions questions I just said high temp, high pressures and H3PO4 catalyst, I'm sure they won't penalise if you mess up the specifics on the conditions.

The pent-1-ene question really messed me up, I just drew the C3H7 group above and below for E and Z isomerism, I definitely got it wrong I think.
Would C3H7 be accepted when putting the group on the stereoisomers?
What will happen if we want to retake after this year? Can we resit these again or would you have to do all of the new spec a-level exams from scratch?
You can't resit this spec again, you would have to do all of the new spec from scratch. :'(
Reply 289
For compound A and B i wrote the formula for butan-1-ol and butan-2-ol. Will i still get the marks? I mean i am techniqually identifying the coumpound. Btw u can resit this spec but u need to do it as an external canditate. U won't have college but u need to go college for the exam dates. Also for the electrophilic addition u just needed to go to the carbocation part, because that is the intermediate. It only asked used the mechanism to make the intermediate.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Asyes
For compound A and B i wrote the formula for butan-1-ol and butan-2-ol. Will i still get the marks? I mean i am techniqually identifying the coumpound. Btw u can resit this spec but u need to do it as an external canditate. U won't have college but u need to go college for the exam dates. Also for the electrophilic addition u just needed to go to the carbocation part, because that is the intermediate. It only asked used the mechanism to make the intermediate.

You cannot resit this exam again as the spec has finished and they won't be making any more papers for it. However, you can resit CHEM4/CHEM5 once more next year.
For the hydrolysis question I wrote some information that wasn't correct but then I also wrote about timing the formation of precipitates and using same conditions eg temp- will I still get marks?
For the hydrolysis question I wrote that fixed amounts of silver nitrate could be added every30 mins then ppt could be filtered dried and weighed. Then that could plot mass of ppt over time and compare gradients. I know thus is wrong, how many marks do you think I could get?
Why on Aqas 2017 timetable do they have chem1/2 resits on it? If we cant resit them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by girl :D

I didn't think AQA asked for the whole delta-/delta+ partial charges on mechanisms? I looked on last years mark scheme and the mechanism didn't have partial charges on
Guys I'm pretty sure there was a double bond in the alcohol. The molecular formula was C4H8O for A and B and C4H10O for P and Q
Original post by jessyoung
Guys I'm pretty sure there was a double bond in the alcohol. The molecular formula was C4H8O for A and B and C4H10O for P and Q

Can someone put together mark scheme please?
I thought the paper was actually quite a good paper - that may be because I had to cope with the unit physics yesterday (which was tough). So I won't be acidifying bleach anytime soon. :wink:
Does anyone know the answer to why acidifying bleach is dangerous question, I really didn't get it so i just put down that Nacl and Naclo are already acidic so acidifying further would give a strong acid which is dangerous as corrosive-but that seems way too simple to be correct. :/
Original post by nooonooo
Does anyone know the answer to why acidifying bleach is dangerous question, I really didn't get it so i just put down that Nacl and Naclo are already acidic so acidifying further would give a strong acid which is dangerous as corrosive-but that seems way too simple to be correct. :/

because it was an equilibrium, although the product was NaCl and not Cl-, I wrote that it could form HCL and that would be dangerous...complete guess

Quick Reply

Latest