The Student Room Group

OCR A2 CHEMISTRY F324 and F325- 14th and 22nd June 2016- OFFICIAL THREAD

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zirak46
Hey guys, hope everyones grinding out revision.

Could someone please explain this question to me:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cu+ : 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 3d10 4s0
Cu2+ : 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 3d9 4s0
Cu2+ has an incomplete d subshell whereas Cu+ doesn't. The incomplete d subshell is allows transition metal ions to have colour. When a photon of light is absorbed by Cu2+, electrons in the lower energy levels of the 3d subshell jump up to the higher energy levels, and gain energy of a specific wavelength which corresponds to a colour. This colour is absorbed and therefore not seen. The colours that aren't absorbed are seen. The electrons of Cu+ can't jump up that energy level because the 3d subshell is full, there's no space to move up to. Therefore no energy is absorbed, all the colours are reflected and seen as white light.
You don't need to know that, however, in the question they probably just want you to link the incomplete d subshell to the ability to form coloured complexes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mechanism
Can someone please explain if hydrogen bonds form between C=O groups, or just -OH groups?
And also, if I have -COOH group, is the proton attached to the oxygen a singlet? Because it's not directly attached to the carbon, so won't be split?

If we consider an ester, hydrogen bonds can't form between molecules of the ester because although there is lone pairs on the oxygen atom there is no partially positive hydrogen to be attracted to them. Hydrogen bonds can form between an ester and water, however. Just remember that to have a hydrogen bond, there has to be nitrogen, oxygen, or fluorine in the molecule and a partially positive hydrogen atom. As for the second question, that's right

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ranz
guys what do they mean with "in the proton NMR spectrum, the peak at xxx would normally be expected at a chemical shift value about 1ppm to the right"

Posted from TSR Mobile

All this means is that you should subtract 1ppm from the chemical shift of the peak at xxx to find its environment on the data sheet.
Original post by pineneedles
Cu+ : 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 3d10 4s0
Cu2+ : 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 3d9 4s0
Cu2+ has an incomplete d subshell whereas Cu+ doesn't. The incomplete d subshell is allows transition metal ions to have colour. When a photon of light is absorbed by Cu2+, electrons in the lower energy levels of the 3d subshell jump up to the higher energy levels, and gain energy of a specific wavelength which corresponds to a colour. This colour is absorbed and therefore not seen. The colours that aren't absorbed are seen. The electrons of Cu+ can't jump up that energy level because the 3d subshell is full, there's no space to move up to. Therefore no energy is absorbed, all the colours are reflected and seen as white light.
You don't need to know that, however, in the question they probably just want you to link the incomplete d subshell to the ability to form coloured complexes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply! I figured it wasn't in spec, thanks for detailed response!
Original post by ToLiveInADream
Legacy paper right? Probably want the answer in terms of of wavelengths and stuff that isn't on the spec anymore.

Yes budd, thanks for the reply!

(Yes Ranz, it was a legacy paper) :smile:
Could someone also help with this sketching titration question. Not sure how to get the marks. Where would the equivalence point? Where would the end Ph be?
Could someone explain to me why benzene will only undergo substitution reactions but not addition reactions?
I've read the explanation in the book and it didn't help
Reply 687
Original post by TrentAlistar
Could someone explain to me why benzene will only undergo substitution reactions but not addition reactions?
I've read the explanation in the book and it didn't help

because benzene is more stable structure than if something were to be added, cause addition reactions it disrupts the delocalised pi electron, idk how correct this is though to be honest

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 688
Original post by zirak46
Yes budd, thanks for the reply!

(Yes Ranz, it was a legacy paper) :smile:

yh we dont need to know that then! its not in our spec

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zirak46
Could someone also help with this sketching titration question. Not sure how to get the marks. Where would the equivalence point? Where would the end Ph be?

Hey, the equivalence point is the volume (of the solution being added) at which the number of moles of both solutions are the same.

To work out the end pH: it says that 0.1 moldm-3 of NaOH is added (obviously in excess) so the end pH will be the pH of the NaOH solution.

Hint pH = 14 - pOH

Strong bases, i.e NaOH, dissociate fully in water :smile:
Original post by Serine Soul
Hey, the equivalence point is the volume (of the solution being added) at which the number of moles of both solutions are the same.

To work out the end pH: it says that 0.1 moldm-3 of NaOH is added (obviously in excess) so the end pH will be the pH of the NaOH solution.

Hint pH = 14 - pOH

Ahhh thank you!

I completely forgot that NaOH was a strong base. Derp.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Could someone please help with part ii), on what the ph of a diluted acid would be if conc of acid is given?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by L'Evil Wolf
is the nitration of phenol the same as the nitration of benzene?

No but we do not need to know bout it. There's an application question in a past paper which gives the different conditions for the nitration of phenol and then you have to compare them and say why phenol does not need concentrated acids or a h2so4 catalyst and can occur at lower temperatures but we do not need to know this but somehow I do
Original post by zirak46
Ahhh thank you!

I completely forgot that NaOH was a strong base. Derp.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem! :smile:

Original post by zirak46
Could someone please help with part ii), on what the ph of a diluted acid would be if conc of acid is given?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay so we have added an equal volume of water, so let's say, with 1 dm3 of the acid, we added 1 dm3 of water. The total volume of the solution has doubled but the number of moles of acid remains the same

So the new concentration is 0.015/2

HNO3 is still a strong acid so the pH will be....
Reply 694
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465601417.708364.jpg
in qs like thse i neevr know if to for example: make all NH2 into NH3+ or just the ones who were involved in the bonds? if that makes sense
same goes for zwitter ions do i make all cooh coo- and all nh2 nh3+, or with alkali or acid hydrolysis i just get confused. help!? i hope i made sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ranz
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465601417.708364.jpg
in qs like thse i neevr know if to for example: make all NH2 into NH3+ or just the ones who were involved in the bonds? if that makes sense
same goes for zwitter ions do i make all cooh coo- and all nh2 nh3+, or with alkali or acid hydrolysis i just get confused. help!? i hope i made sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile

All amines (if they can, i.e primary or secondary amines) accept a H+ ion in acid hydrolysis (lone pair of e- on N atom) as there is an abundance of H+ ions, supplied by the acid

Similarly, all carboxylic acid groups become carboxylate ions and form a salt in alkali hydrolysis.
So all COOHs turn into COO-Na+ with NaOH
Original post by Serine Soul

Hint pH = 14 - pOH

I learnt that the end pH would be different as the alkali will be diluted as it has been added to the acid. Don't really know though.
To work it out I was told to make the volume equal to the acid plus the alkali added. And use the normal nber of moles.
Sub this into moles=CV/1000 and solve for concentration which you then put into -log(ans) and then do 14 minus whatever you got.
Original post by zirak46

Hi
What paper is this from if you don't mind me asking? Thanks
Original post by pineneedles
If we consider an ester, hydrogen bonds can't form between molecules of the ester because although there is lone pairs on the oxygen atom there is no partially positive hydrogen to be attracted to them. Hydrogen bonds can form between an ester and water, however. Just remember that to have a hydrogen bond, there has to be nitrogen, oxygen, or fluorine in the molecule and a partially positive hydrogen atom. As for the second question, that's right

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! so Hydrogen bonds may form between the C=O bond and water, and OH with water?
Original post by ImNervous
I learnt that the end pH would be different as the alkali will be diluted as it has been added to the acid. Don't really know though.
To work it out I was told to make the volume equal to the acid plus the alkali added. And use the normal nber of moles.
Sub this into moles=CV/1000 and solve for concentration which you then put into -log(ans) and then do 14 minus whatever you got.

Oh yeah, you're right! Sorry about that it was a little too late for me I think :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest