The Student Room Group

Do you support gay marriage?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lujubi
I'm going to tell you for a third time now. I did not say that whipping/killing gays is right because it's the status quo. I said that the idea of gay marriage is not receptive in the ME/Asia. THAT IS THE POINT, or I wouldn't have had this argument.

Again. putting words into my mouth. I disagree with treating people badly just for being gay as I disagree with being racist to someone. I also said that comparing gay marriage to somebody's skin tone/race is ridiculous. How does this destroy my argument? The fact that you compare race to marriage is beyond me but then again, this is your opinion and I am going to accept that whether I like it or not.

I defined what bigot meant which is (broadly speaking) the inability to accept the views of others.
You called someone/asian/middle eastern people a bigot and backwards because they are not receptive of the idea of gay marriage probably because of culture and religion. Do you not see what you did wrong there? A key part of this debate is to listen and respect the fact that people may have views different to yours and calling them a bigot/backwards for following religion etc. does not help.

I think I am done with TSR for today. I respect the fact that you challenged my viewpoint of this, so I'll give you that one.
W'salam.

Do you even spend a minute to understand what I'm saying or are you simply blasting at the get-go?

We were talking about the correctness of their approach, considering you criticised me for calling them backwards. That they are not receptive is clear and not open to discussion. How many times do I need to say this?

OMG... This is getting tiresome. Where did I compare being gay with skin tone? I gave an example when you said that some things should never change because people in certain places accept them as the status quo. Following yet or do I need to explain this in a textbook manner?

I answered this in the post below. When one essentially harasses the other, he is a bigot end of. Whether you accept this or not is immaterial.

I didn't really challenge a viewpoint. There's a wrong and a right perspective here. You just happen, no doubt due to your religion, to belong to the latter.

Original post by Lujubi
This one has gone over your head. I explained up in the post above what I meant by this since I'm not typing that all out again.

No, it hasn't. You simply realised the sheer stupidity of what you said. To compare the oppressor with the oppressed is ridiculous.
everyone's entitled to their own rights so of course! People that oppose it are the ones that judge really EVERYONES GOT FREE WILL. YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE!
Original post by cashcash871
Not really no. I think marriage should be between a man and a woman.

good job nobody's forcing you to get gay married then
Reply 583
Yeah, I have no reason not to and tbh y is it anyone else's business if two people want to get married?
Original post by epage
Countries where gay marriage is currently legal: The Netherlands (2000), Belgium (2003), Canada (2005), Spain (2005), South Africa (2006), Norway (2009), Sweden (2009), Argentina (2010), Iceland (2010), Portugal (2010), Denmark (2012), Brazil (2013), England and Wales (2013), France (2013), New Zealand (2013), Uruguay (2013), Luxembourg (2014), Scotland (2014), Finland (signed 2015, effective 2017), Ireland (2015), United States (2015), Greenland (2016), Colombia (2016)

So thats 24.

Countries that have anti-homosexuality laws or being gay is punishable: Algeria, Angola, Botswana, Burundi, Cameroon, Comoros, Egypt, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gambia,Ghana, Guinea, Kenya, Liberia, Libya, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Namibia, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone,Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Daesh (or ISIS /ISIL), India, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Malaysia, Maldives, Myanmar, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine/GazaStrip, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Syria, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan, Yemen Americas, Antigua & Barbuda, Barbados,Belize, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, St Kitts & Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent& the Grenadines, Trinidad & Tobago, Cook Islands, Indonesia (Aceh Province and South Sumatra), Kirbati, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands,Tonga, and Tuvalu, Russia, and Lithuania.

Thats 77.

But yeah lets let this thread die because 'gay marriage is legal in most places anyway.'

Did you just include ISIS as a country? LMAO
Original post by MedioCentro97

https://76crimes.com/76-countries-where-homosexuality-is-illegal/

It was sourced from here which includes Daesh as although it might not be illegal in all of the countries that Daesh operate in, executions for being gay are standard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Kind of a shame that that is all you took from my post though. Completely ignoring the point of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No!

A marriage should be like this:

Spoiler

Not like this:

Spoiler

Reply 588
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
No!

Spoiler

Not like this:

Spoiler

Says who? What is the reasoning behind this? Just because something has stayed the same throughout history and been traditional, doesn't make it right, especially when that institution excludes many couples and deems their relationship as not worthy of marriage, basically telling them their same-sex relationship is inferior to a heterosexual one.

But thankfully people are starting to wake up and realise that the 'traditional' institution of marriage was problematic and unfair on same-sex couples wanting to get married just like any heterosexual couple would, and there is no reason why they should be denied that right because of vague prejudices and religious reasons.
No!

Spoiler

Not like this:

Spoiler

Why do you categorise people into female and male?

Surely that's reducing their individuality as an individual.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by XcitingStuart

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe because everybody is either a male or female?
Original post by epage
Kind of a shame that that is all you took from my post though. Completely ignoring the point of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What point did you even make? The 77 are hardly first world progressive countries, trying to make it legal there is a pointless battle.ISIS is still not a country btw.
Original post by XcitingStuart

Posted from TSR Mobile

Still you can't deny that females and males are opposites like protons and electrons, north and south....There's things in this world that have to be opposite and the sides of a marriage are no exception
Still you can't deny that females and males are opposites like protons and electrons, north and south....There's things in this world that have to be opposite and the sides of a marriage are no exception

As marriage is a social construct, surely you can engineer it differently, to allow a "pair of electrons"? Spinning in opposite directions even?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Totally support it, I don't see the problem people have with it. Two people who love each other dearly and want to spend the rest of their lives together should have the opportunity to do so, regardless of their genders. The idea of finding someone who wants to be with you for the rest of your life; I can't think of anything more worth celebrating and everyone should have that right. :smile:
What point did you even make? The 77 are hardly first world progressive countries, trying to make it legal there is a pointless battle.ISIS is still not a country btw.

You seemed to have ignored my reasoning for Daesh to be included. The point was that I was replying to someone who said gay marriage was legal in most countries, which it is not. Who cares if they aren't first world progressive countries? Are the gay people there not as important as in the United Kingdom or the United States? They are still a part of the LGBT community so no it is not 'a pointless battle' it is an important one to try and stop Gay people in less advantaged countries being murdered because of a lack of understanding and a lack of basic human rights. I am lucky enough to be born into an accepting society and to have these rights and privileges and I think its important than in western society we help our LGBT neighbours in these less privileged countries because they aren't so lucky.
Maybe because everybody is either a male or female?

But everyone's either homosexual, heterosexual, or another sexual orientation.

But that doesn't mean I go around categorising people into those categories.

(Lol I'm sounding too much like @TheCitizenAct.)
Original post by Slimewizard
good job nobody's forcing you to get gay married then

Yeah but it's my opinion. This thread was asking for opinions so I gave mine.

How narrow-minded.

Never segregate anyone on the basis that they are different - such ideas gave power to the Nazis, caused black people to be subjected to slavery and caused women to be oppressed for countless years.

Everyone deserves equality, especially for something as simple as a document confirming love.

Oh and, please don't base your arguments off something like yin and yang - especially if you're going to apply it to marriage. What the actual **** lmaoooo, "yin-yang tell mi opposit gud thus everyting mus b opposit"
Original post by epage
You seemed to have ignored my reasoning for Daesh to be included. The point was that I was replying to someone who said gay marriage was legal in most countries, which it is not. Who cares if they aren't first world progressive countries? Are the gay people there not as important as in the United Kingdom or the United States? They are still a part of the LGBT community so no it is not 'a pointless battle' it is an important one to try and stop Gay people in less advantaged countries being murdered because of a lack of understanding and a lack of basic human rights. I am lucky enough to be born into an accepting society and to have these rights and privileges and I think its important than in western society we help our LGBT neighbours in these less privileged countries because they aren't so lucky.

I know what you mean, but do you really think you're going to change anything in the middle east or certain parts of Africa, where no only the government, but also the majority of their population think being gay is wrong? The gays over there are terribly unlucky to be born in such countries, and to protect themselves, they must hide their sexual orientation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending