The Student Room Group

Thyroid diagnosis problem?! HELP

Hi,
I have a question regarding the diagnosis of hypothyroidism.

Basically, my doctor put me on several blood tests for the past year, all of the came out as normal, apart from 1 test which shown I had an underactive thyroid and it also stated there was something wrong with my liver.

So my doctor decided that I should take another blood test to confirm whether I had a thyroid problem, even though I have all the symptoms. But strangely, the results stated that my hormone levels was normal now.

But the thing is, My past blood test stated I had it and I feel every symptom of hypothryoidism and some of them are getting worse such as, now my neck is becoming very swollen - so much that it feels very uncomfortable to wear school shirts and i have to always move my neck down to reduce the uncomfortabillity. And my voice has become very hoarse than ever before.

I also had an ultrasound for my liver as the blood test said there was something wrong with it, but the ultrasound stated that my liver is functioning normally.

What should I do to confirm my diagnosis?

I'm very certain that there is something wrong with my thyroid or at least with my body.

I also had both vitamin b12 and D deficiency in the past year, if that helps.

I have a feeling that it could be Hashimoto's thyroiditis

And I dont know what to tell the doctors as the ones that I have, tend to have big ego's when it comes to diagnosis.

* Im not sure what exactly they were testing for with the thyroid blood tests but all came back normal.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,
I have a question regarding the diagnosis of hypothyroidism.

Basically, my doctor put me on several blood tests for the past year, all of the came out as normal, apart from 1 test which shown I had an underactive thyroid and it also stated there was something wrong with my liver.

So my doctor decided that I should take another blood test to confirm whether I had a thyroid problem, even though I have all the symptoms. But strangely, the results stated that my hormone levels was normal now.

But the thing is, My past blood test stated I had it and I feel every symptom of hypothryoidism and some of them are getting worse such as, now my neck is becoming very swollen - so much that it feels very uncomfortable to wear school shirts and i have to always move my neck down to reduce the uncomfortabillity. And my voice has become very hoarse than ever before.

I also had an ultrasound for my liver as the blood test said there was something wrong with it, but the ultrasound stated that my liver is functioning normally.

What should I do to confirm my diagnosis?

I'm very certain that there is something wrong with my thyroid or at least with my body.

I also had both vitamin b12 and D deficiency in the past year, if that helps.

I have a feeling that it could be Hashimoto's thyroiditis

And I dont know what to tell the doctors as the ones that I have, tend to have big ego's when it comes to diagnosis.

* Im not sure what exactly they were testing for with the thyroid blood tests but all came back normal.

Sounds a lot like me when I was trying to find a diagnosis. My results kept coming back just a little bit off, never enough to concern doctors. I also had a vitamin D deficiency (and iron one). I was eventually refered to see an endrocronologist and he figured that I had previously had "thyroidosis" (not sure how that comes about) which meant my thyroid fluctuated and that it might return to normal but would probably be an issue eventually. He monitered my levels for a while and it didn't change and I still felt bad so he diagnosed me with hypothyroidism. My levels were still only a bit off but some people just cope with it worse apparently.
Do you know if any of your blood tests were for thyroid antibodies? If you don't have them it won't be hashimotos (since it's your immune system attacking using antibodies), but if you do have them it is possible. That would also mean you are likely to get worse since your body will keep attacking (I believe it gets triggered when you get ill but don't quote me on that one).

Also, have doctors checked anything about your swelling? It would make sense that it is your thyroid, but there are other possibilities. I would expect that with the swelling they would be doing more about it since it can cause issues with eating and things.

I suggest you try to see an endrocronologist. They will be better at noticing thyroid issues that are slightly abnormal. You may need to try seeing other doctors or just being persistant.
It's clear that something is wrong even if it isn't thyroid so keep asking for answers. Whenever you get results and they say it's fine, ask whats next. They will probably run out of ideas and refer you.

Good luck and don't give up. It was a real pain when I was trying to get diagnosed so I feel for you.
Reply 2
Original post by Kindred
Sounds a lot like me when I was trying to find a diagnosis. My results kept coming back just a little bit off, never enough to concern doctors. I also had a vitamin D deficiency (and iron one). I was eventually refered to see an endrocronologist and he figured that I had previously had "thyroidosis" (not sure how that comes about) which meant my thyroid fluctuated and that it might return to normal but would probably be an issue eventually. He monitered my levels for a while and it didn't change and I still felt bad so he diagnosed me with hypothyroidism. My levels were still only a bit off but some people just cope with it worse apparently.
Do you know if any of your blood tests were for thyroid antibodies? If you don't have them it won't be hashimotos (since it's your immune system attacking using antibodies), but if you do have them it is possible. That would also mean you are likely to get worse since your body will keep attacking (I believe it gets triggered when you get ill but don't quote me on that one).

Also, have doctors checked anything about your swelling? It would make sense that it is your thyroid, but there are other possibilities. I would expect that with the swelling they would be doing more about it since it can cause issues with eating and things.

I suggest you try to see an endrocronologist. They will be better at noticing thyroid issues that are slightly abnormal. You may need to try seeing other doctors or just being persistant.
It's clear that something is wrong even if it isn't thyroid so keep asking for answers. Whenever you get results and they say it's fine, ask whats next. They will probably run out of ideas and refer you.

Good luck and don't give up. It was a real pain when I was trying to get diagnosed so I feel for you.

so just ask them to refer me to an endocrinologist?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
so just ask them to refer me to an endocrinologist?

Pretty much yeah. They're basically blood and hormone doctors so anything like vitamin and thyroid issues is what they do. Say you've been asking around and that's what people have suggested so you're wondering if it could help you.
If that doesn't seem like it's going to happen (some doctors can be stubourn) hold your ground in wanting them to check out your swelling. Be clear that it is really affecting you and making it hard to wear clothes or eat properly. Hopefully that will lead to diagnosis or referal but at the very least they should be able to make you more comfortable. :smile:

Thyroid issues or anything simmilar can take a long time so hang in there.
Reply 4
Original post by Kindred
Pretty much yeah. They're basically blood and hormone doctors so anything like vitamin and thyroid issues is what they do. Say you've been asking around and that's what people have suggested so you're wondering if it could help you.
If that doesn't seem like it's going to happen (some doctors can be stubourn) hold your ground in wanting them to check out your swelling. Be clear that it is really affecting you and making it hard to wear clothes or eat properly. Hopefully that will lead to diagnosis or referal but at the very least they should be able to make you more comfortable. :smile:

Thyroid issues or anything simmilar can take a long time so hang in there.

Thank you so much, I will do on my next appointment

Quick Reply

Latest