The Student Room Group

A level History AQA Angevins 3A 10th June

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by lucywebb123
I did becket & baronial rebellion question - am worried I didn't write enough for rebellion question. I did: It was oppressive kings - needed to limit power of Angevin despotism because there was no benchmark for their authority and added the clauses I.e 61 and then did the church and unlaw land seizing and added that finance could apply to Richard. Then just countered it with John's financial exploitation, the fact he was constantly present & his harsh treatment of individual barons. Worried I should have done his selective distribution of reward and office relating to clause 50. And that I didn't go into enough detail on Henry's legal reforms

What did you do for the Becket essay?
What points did you put for causing dispute? Did you mention like becket excommunicating, Henry's actions such as trying him in court and also crowning of young Hen
Original post by MMMMM22
What did you do for the Becket essay?
What points did you put for causing dispute? Did you mention like becket excommunicating, Henry's actions such as trying him in court and also crowning of young Hen

I discussed clause 3 of constitutions of Clarendon re criminous clerks & threw in clause 7 like alternatively it was because of his trying to gain Royal consent to excommunicate but then said ... Ultimately clause 3 more significant.

Then to counter I said there was a personal dimension -
Henry's calling to court X2 (first embezzlement in September then Northampton) and also the crowning of Henry the younger and its significance in insulting beckets position.

Then said however provocative actions weren't exclusive to Henry ... Becket exiles supporters in 1166 and 1170
Then I said this is ultimately indicated by the fact Henry had good relations with theobold and was able to restablish good relations after

Wish I'd mentioned Henry exiling 400 of Becket's household & the equivocation of the Pope ... It wasn't a great morning.
Reply 22
I discussed clause 3 of constitutions of Clarendon re criminous clerks & threw in clause 7 like alternatively it was because of his trying to gain Royal consent to excommunicate but then said ... Ultimately clause 3 more significant.

Then to counter I said there was a personal dimension -
Henry's calling to court X2 (first embezzlement in September then Northampton) and also the crowning of Henry the younger and its significance in insulting beckets position.

Then said however provocative actions weren't exclusive to Henry ... Becket exiles supporters in 1166 and 1170
Then I said this is ultimately indicated by the fact Henry had good relations with theobold and was able to restablish good relations after

Wish I'd mentioned Henry exiling 400 of Becket's household & the equivocation of the Pope ... It wasn't a great morning.

Yeh that sounds really good essay.
I wrote how it was criminous clerks caused dispute.
Introduced what happened and how becket became Archbishop
Then discussed how Henry wanted to impose Royal authority over church and chose becket but becket changed.
Like you did spoke about different constitutions of Clarendon such as trying criminous clerks in comparison to how bishops and archbishops couldn't leave England without Royal permission and how church couldn't appeal to Pope in clerical cases without kings permission and how criminous clerks most important.
Spoke about Excommunication which antagonised henry. Listed excommunication extc. What this meant

Henryactions by trying him as land owner and also crowning of son insulted becket and made him return to England
And overall that criminous clerks caused dispute between two as was first event showing conflict between king and church.
What you think of this?
Original post by MMMMM22
Yeh that sounds really good essay.
I wrote how it was criminous clerks caused dispute.
Introduced what happened and how becket became Archbishop
Then discussed how Henry wanted to impose Royal authority over church and chose becket but becket changed.
Like you did spoke about different constitutions of Clarendon such as trying criminous clerks in comparison to how bishops and archbishops couldn't leave England without Royal permission and how church couldn't appeal to Pope in clerical cases without kings permission and how criminous clerks most important.
Spoke about Excommunication which antagonised henry. Listed excommunication extc. What this meant

Henryactions by trying him as land owner and also crowning of son insulted becket and made him return to England
And overall that criminous clerks caused dispute between two as was first event showing conflict between king and church.
What you think of this?

I reached the same conclusion. I also forgot I wrote about him being chancellor and how he resigned shortly after which was personal betrayal as he began to protect interests of church and challenge those of the crown etcccccccc.

Sounds good but what do I know! Most people don't do medieval for A level which is both a blessing and a curse as I'm doing history at uni and most teach it as core on assumption people haven't done it! But by the same score, I worry the grade boundaries are high and marking strict! Quite disappointed by my answer to question 3 as I thought of a few things to add after which is always annoying.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 24
I reached the same conclusion. I also forgot I wrote about him being chancellor and how he resigned shortly after which was personal betrayal as he began to protect interests of church and challenge those of the crown etcccccccc.

Sounds good but what do I know! Most people don't do medieval for A level which is both a blessing and a curse as I'm doing history at uni and most teach it as core on assumption people haven't done it! But by the same score, I worry the grade boundaries are high and marking strict! Quite disappointed by my answer to question 3 as I thought of a few things to add after which is always annoying.

I feel like this paper was a lot harder than last years. Just the wording itself might have a confused a few people. Last years was definitely easier so I think maybe it will be about 64 for an A? That's what it was in 2012 and 2014
Original post by MMMMM22
I feel like this paper was a lot harder than last years. Just the wording itself might have a confused a few people. Last years was definitely easier so I think maybe it will be about 64 for an A? That's what it was in 2012 and 2014

I really hope so! I really want that A* but I'm not sure if I did enough...I agree though the wording was confusing, I thought the Richard question was a little weird in the way it said "England's government" rather than just England.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Original post by OwlMagic153
I really hope so! I really want that A* but I'm not sure if I did enough...I agree though the wording was confusing, I thought the Richard question was a little weird in the way it said "England's government" rather than just England.

Posted from TSR Mobile

hey i was wondering what did you write for your richard essay what was your plan? I said that there was little political dispute because of henry excellent appointments of government ensuring it was well run, excellent diplomacy ensuring england would not get invaded and finally like changes to legal reforms. and that there was political dispute due to bankrupting of angevin lands and poor decisions by Richard such as bad appointments and fail to produce heir which caused political and financial instability for government and in future.Idk what do you think of that
Original post by MMMMM22
hey i was wondering what did you write for your richard essay what was your plan? I said that there was little political dispute because of henry excellent appointments of government ensuring it was well run, excellent diplomacy ensuring england would not get invaded and finally like changes to legal reforms. and that there was political dispute due to bankrupting of angevin lands and poor decisions by Richard such as bad appointments and fail to produce heir which caused political and financial instability for government and in future.Idk what do you think of that

That sounds a lot better than mine! I knew there was something I'd forgotten! I should have put in failure to produce an heir but completely forgot. The first part of my essay was pretty much the same, I said there was a lot of p. disruption e.g Longchamp, John etc, then countered with little political disruption due to good appointments and HII's system of itinerant kingship, then I said that financial disruption was caused more than political and went into how Richard destabilised England financially and long term effects etc. Then for some stupid reason I went into religion and Church disruption, like Geoffrey and stuff, but countered it with Richard's piety and how him going on crusade helped England with regards to the Church, so it outweighed the disruption caused by his absence and that finance was disrupted most by Richard's absence. I dunno tbh, I was just chuffed to have gotten an actual structure and coherent essay together :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 28
That sounds a lot better than mine! I knew there was something I'd forgotten! I should have put in failure to produce an heir but completely forgot. The first part of my essay was pretty much the same, I said there was a lot of p. disruption e.g Longchamp, John etc, then countered with little political disruption due to good appointments and HII's system of itinerant kingship, then I said that financial disruption was caused more than political and went into how Richard destabilised England financially and long term effects etc. Then for some stupid reason I went into religion and Church disruption, like Geoffrey and stuff, but countered it with Richard's piety and how him going on crusade helped England with regards to the Church, so it outweighed the disruption caused by his absence and that finance was disrupted most by Richard's absence. I dunno tbh, I was just chuffed to have gotten an actual structure and coherent essay together :smile:

you think the grade boundaries will be lower than last year because like this year the paper i feel was harder. last year it was 68 for an A? what are you aiming for in Angevins? A or A*Also do you think because the question specifically said political disruption, i kept writing political instability or financial instability, not disruption. do you think markers might penalise me there or will they understand since they are kinda the same thingPosted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really hope there's low grade boundaries but I'm not too sure...tbh I found last year's questions harder (I attempted them to no avail) but that might just be because my teacher prepared us for questions like this year's better. I aiming for an A*, because my UMS last year was on this 'magic number' that means I can only get a B or A*. I think I have to get an A in the exam to get an A* overall or something like that...
I was a bit put off by the wording too, in the past my teacher has docked marks because I didn't use the specific wording, but I don't know if the examiners will do that. In the exam I just tried to use "disruptive" a couple times every paragraph, just in case.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Magic number? You need 90 average across your coursework and your exam to get an A*? Regardless of AS
Reply 31
I really hope there's low grade boundaries but I'm not too sure...tbh I found last year's questions harder (I attempted them to no avail) but that might just be because my teacher prepared us for questions like this year's better. I aiming for an A*, because my UMS last year was on this 'magic number' that means I can only get a B or A*. I think I have to get an A in the exam to get an A* overall or something like that...
I was a bit put off by the wording too, in the past my teacher has docked marks because I didn't use the specific wording, but I don't know if the examiners will do that. In the exam I just tried to use "disruptive" a couple times every paragraph, just in case.
The wording of the question put everyone off. i think some people for some of the questions might not have understood it 100% so for that reason grade boundaries might be a bit lower. I find that quite weird. why did your teacher dock you marks for not using specific wording? did u ask why?
Really what did you find hard about last year? henry's was a normal restoration of authority and pope and john was normal.
you think you did enough to get A in this exam?
what you think you got in your richard essay?
Reply 32
Magic number? You need 90 average across your coursework and your exam to get an A*? Regardless of AS

Do you think grade boundaries will be lower or about the same as last year 68?
Is 68 the highest they've ever been?
I remember seeing one year was 35 per essay for an A* !
I thought last year was harder personally so I imagine about the same

Yeah, I got a low B in AS, so if I was to get an A or higher with good coursework as well, I'd end up with an A*. I don't know tbh they explained it rather quickly...I'm just praying for a good result now :smile:

Original post by MMMMM22

The wording of the question put everyone off. i think some people for some of the questions might not have understood it 100% so for that reason grade boundaries might be a bit lower. I find that quite weird. why did your teacher dock you marks for not using specific wording? did u ask why?
Really what did you find hard about last year? henry's was a normal restoration of authority and pope and john was normal.
you think you did enough to get A in this exam?
what you think you got in your richard essay?

My teacher's quite harsh, but in a good way, so I figured docking marks for something like that could have helped me a little. Last year's questions were difficult for me just because my teacher skimmed over John and the Church, which was why I was worried about it this year. Henry and royal authority I might have done okay on, but you never know.
Not sure if I did enough in this exam for an A, maybe a high B, but for all I know I could have mucked it up completely. And if the A* boundary was 35 per essay I'd actually cry with happiness.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 35
Is 68 the highest they've ever been?
I remember seeing one year was 35 per essay for an A* !
I thought last year was harder personally so I imagine about the same

No i mean 68 last year was for an A so i was asking you if you thought it would be possibly lower because in other years it has range from 64-68 for an A
That makes no sense what ? U can't get an A* with a B at AS?!
Yeah, I got a low B in AS, so if I was to get an A or higher with good coursework as well, I'd end up with an A*. I don't know tbh they explained it rather quickly...I'm just praying for a good result now :smile:

My teacher's quite harsh, but in a good way, so I figured docking marks for something like that could have helped me a little. Last year's questions were difficult for me just because my teacher skimmed over John and the Church, which was why I was worried about it this year. Henry and royal authority I might have done okay on, but you never know.
Not sure if I did enough in this exam for an A, maybe a high B, but for all I know I could have mucked it up completely. And if the A* boundary was 35 per essay I'd actually cry with happiness.

I hate to say it but the last reply was correct, you need an A in AS and A2 and need to score 90% overall to get an A from what I remember.

EDIT: Here is a calculator for a rough idea of what you would need to get what grade (including A*) and it does say that even if you achieve the require UMS points, you do need an A in AS and A2. http://umstools.sourceforge.net/demo/www/index.php?p=calculator&target=gce
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by Charliefen
I hate to say it but the last reply was correct, you need an A in AS and A2 and need to score 90% overall to get an A from what I remember.

EDIT: Here is a calculator for a rough idea of what you would need to get what grade (including A*) and it does say that even if you achieve the require UMS points, you do need an A in AS and A2. http://umstools.sourceforge.net/demo/www/index.php?p=calculator&target=gce

what questions did you do in the exam? how did you find it overall?

Quick Reply

Latest