The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry Salters B F332 10th June 2016 (Old specification)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KINGYusuf
Guys was one of the reaction mechanisms we had to draw Electrophilic Addition? With HCl or something

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was nucleophilic substitution l think?
Isn't alkene + hydrogen halide Electrophilic addition?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got nucelophilic substitution too
But it was like ethene and HCl???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys was it Electrophilic Addition or NS?
I was on about the alcohol with Hcl which was nucleophilic substitution
Reply 186
I got nucleophilic substitution too but now I can hardly remember the question, wasn't the halide substituting for the OH group that came of ?
Original post by smm90
Where has the Br come from? The question was about irradiated chlorine and methane to produce CCl4 or something..

sorry i meant HCl :colondollar:

Been revising for F334 haha
Original post by _MAT_
Yeah they'd accept both

Im just scared its going to be one of those really fussy OCR things that they do like not accepting peptide for amide :/
Isn't alkene + hydrogen halide Electrophilic addition?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the exam asked to add H-Cl to Methanol, so it would have been nucleophillic substitution as the H-Cl has a permanent negative dipole which will attack the positive carbon in the methanol

But what you said about the alkene and halogenoalkane is correct :smile:
Original post by jordan_chung18
I think the exam asked to add H-Cl to Methanol, so it would have been nucleophillic substitution as the H-Cl has a permanent negative dipole which will attack the positive carbon in the methanol

how many marks was that?
Original post by mismash
how many marks was that?

I think it was 3 marks so i wouldnt worry about it :smile: I found the paper quite hard overall due to the numerous GCSE questions that i hadn't done for 2 years... How'd you find it overall?
Reply 192

i thought it was a halogenoalkane undergoing n.sub with OH-?
i feel like ive missed so many marks
i dont even remember if i underlined nucleophilic and substitution - like i remembering choosing them in my head but i dont remember underlining them...
5 marks gone then
Reply 193
Im just scared its going to be one of those really fussy OCR things that they do like not accepting peptide for amide :/

Yeah but I sincerely doubt this will be one of those things, the only reason why peptide isn't accepted is because we're not taught peptide in chemistry and the technical, chemistry name is amide. Since it's just quoting stuff from an article I think they'll be fine about it.
Reply 194
Original post by Kira Yagami
what did you put about infradred spectrum and how co2 can be identified?

You had to mention that each compound have a unique fingerprint region and looking at the bond absorption if C-O is present then it tells you there is co2
Reply 195
Original post by Doctor.Zoo
What did people get for the difference in density question???

I said that Ice is less dense because when water freezes bonds get closer together leaving empty spaces so that the density of water decreases or something along those lines and you also had to talk about the formation of hydrogen bonding
Original post by Bzang
You had to mention that each compound have a unique fingerprint region and looking at the bond absorption if C-O is present then it tells you there is co2

I wrote about absoprotion in due to c=o bond and each bond abosrbs a specific frequency of IR .... something like that

I was going to talk about the FP region but a question was asked about it later.
Reply 197
Original post by AlbertoMerckx
few I got a little worried there, especially by the conservation of mass, How could you end up with less mass then what you started with?

You didn't start with it and mass is also lost as energy I got 3. Something as well
Reply 198
Guys was it Electrophilic Addition or NS?

I don't think it was an Alkene input Nucleophilic sub cause I remember it had an alcohol attached to it and at the end you got methane chloride and water
Reply 199
Original post by Kira Yagami
I wrote about absoprotion in due to c=o bond and each bond abosrbs a specific frequency of IR .... something like that

I was going to talk about the FP region but a question was asked about it later.

Yeah something like that but just so I don't loose any mark I just mentioned it

Quick Reply

Latest