The Student Room Group

Re: Edexcel Geography Unit 4 Tectonic activity & Hazards (2016)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MobiDo
Mostly associated with collisional boundaries, as upon collision the crust thickens downwards as well leading to mantle heating of the lower crust. This magma is too viscous to be extruded and so accumulates to form a batholith (some agrue it's only a batholith once 100km in diameter for this reason).

Sometimes it could just be a string of other plutons in a similar location leading to overall upwelling.

Do you mean convergent plate boundaries as the subducted plate partially melts and can rise, cool and solidify beneath the surface?
Reply 41
Original post by Thefamouscfc
Do you mean convergent plate boundaries as the subducted plate partially melts and can rise, cool and solidify beneath the surface?

Nope, from the reading I've done it's associated with continental collision. Apparenly that's how Dartmoor Tors and stuff were formed. Seems legit

For what you've mentioned it might be worth looking at Colorado plateau and rocky mountains, which were uplifted when convergent margin magma didn't make it through to the surface
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi, please can you send me a copy as well? :smile:
my email address is charlottebagshaw16@gmail.com
I have used the isle of Arran as a relict example with lots of intrusive activity and then mid Atlantic ridge, the Andes, San Andreas ,
Hi Guys - have you researched an area with varying landforms to create a landscape? For our research, we have found single case studies for single landforms i.e. Great Whin Sill for a sill and Isle of Aran for a Dyke however Im not sure that covers the term of 'landscape'? Even though landforms create landscapes -does it have to have lots of landforms to create a landscape? Or does one landform create a landscape? If you had a super volcano such as Yellowstone I'm guessing that counts as a landscape because its so big but do you have to have lots of minor features for example, to create a landscape?

I doubt that makes sense.

Megan :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by meganwhy
Hi Guys - have you researched an area with varying landforms to create a landscape? For our research, we have found single case studies for single landforms i.e. Great Whin Sill for a sill and Isle of Aran for a Dyke however Im not sure that covers the term of 'landscape'? Even though landforms create landscapes -does it have to have lots of landforms to create a landscape? Or does one landform create a landscape? If you had a super volcano such as Yellowstone I'm guessing that counts as a landscape because its so big but do you have to have lots of minor features for example, to create a landscape?

I doubt that makes sense.

Megan :smile:

You could talk about Isle of Arran altogether with its various landforms (Goat fell, Kildonan dyke swarm etc.) because the Isle itself is a lanscape that has its current characteristics because of the landforms mentioned.
Reply 46
Original post by amjones081997
I study geology and have the text book if anyone wants screen shots on this topic of earth tectonics , i study geography as well and it is a great help understanding the mechanisms

Would be great thanks I really need help for my exam in a week. This is the one exam im stressed about as I need to get an A! if Anyone could send me their drafts to get ideas you`d be absolute legends!!!!!!!!!
Reply 47
What about doing it by type of activity? and including case studies for each type?

Landscapes formed by extrusive igneous activity, e.g. lava plateau, composite volcanoes, shield volcanoes, caldera volcanoes, fissures

Landscapes formed by intrusive igneous activity, e.g. batholiths, sills, dykes

Landscapes formed by seismic activity, e.g. faults, rift valleys, fold mountains
Could someone send any drafts they have done? I am slightly worried about this exam!
Original post by Plshelpme1358
Could someone send any drafts they have done? I am slightly worried about this exam!

Samee!!Please someone ,can send any drafts on their reports??
Original post by Tdkh98
I can send you a draft I have written if that would help you with structure case studies etc ...

would you mind sending me this please? :smile:
Reply 51
Original post by Tdkh98
I can send you a draft I have written if that would help you with structure case studies etc ...

Could you send me this too per favore, grazie mille
Thank you all you lovely people for all this wonderful advice - you have legitimately saved my sanity!
Any thoughts on using the eruption of Saint Helen's to talk about destruction changing the landscape? Like the deforestation etc
I'm thinking of comparing the Himalayas to the Andes, the Mid Atlantic ridge to the EARV and Cornwall and Devon to the Isle of Arran for intrusive activity. If I have time I might mention contrasting volcanic cones. Does this sound ok? There's not a lot of time to write about every landscape.
Reply 55
Can someone please help me with definitions?
I have tectonic processes as the rock forming processes and resulting structures that occur over large sections of the lithosphere.
How do I define seismic and volcanic processes?
Also do the definitions go in the introduction?
Original post by Ula456
Can someone please help me with definitions?
I have tectonic processes as the rock forming processes and resulting structures that occur over large sections of the lithosphere.
How do I define seismic and volcanic processes?
Also do the definitions go in the introduction?

I have the definition of seismic down as processes where earthquakes have shaped the landscape but I have no examples where actual earthquakes have created landforms 😕
Reply 57
Based on the pre release for tectonics, what could the question be?

My teacher thinks it can't be much different to the previous question, so thinks it'll be something like 'explain how volcanic and seismic processes produce a variety of distinctive landscapes'. So I've done a practice report for that question, however if the question is slightly different idk what I'll do? Any other potential questions?
Reply 58
Original post by bbbbbf
Based on the pre release for tectonics, what could the question be?

My teacher thinks it can't be much different to the previous question, so thinks it'll be something like 'explain how volcanic and seismic processes produce a variety of distinctive landscapes'. So I've done a practice report for that question, however if the question is slightly different idk what I'll do? Any other potential questions?

Our teacher has tried to give us different questions just in case, but she agrees it's likely to be similar to 2011. The only other questions she gave us were:

'Distinctive landscapes are only found at plate boundaries.' Discuss.

To what extent do seismic processes contribute to the formation of distinctive landscapes?

Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by GGB2016
Our teacher has tried to give us different questions just in case, but she agrees it's likely to be similar to 2011. The only other questions she gave us were:

'Distinctive landscapes are only found at plate boundaries.' Discuss.

To what extent do seismic processes contribute to the formation of distinctive landscapes?

Hope that helps :smile:

What actually are seismic processes though? Do you have any examples?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending