The Student Room Group

Are my GCSE results good enough

I'm a pretty clever person, and throughout high school I achieved decent results - mostly As or A*s. However, the end of my GCSEs are fast approaching and i'm worried that I've not done well enough. Throughout the past two years I have simply not put in enough effort, and am worried that my GCSEs wont be good enough. I have two exams left, and am predicted 2A*s, 3As, 3Bs and 2Cs. These results are way more than I need to go to college, but will they be acceptable for good universities? I am just upset, because I know I had the potential to do better. I'm not aiming for an Oxbridge University, but would Russel Group Uni's still accept me with these results?

I just also realised that I didn't put a question mark in the title. Wow.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Joe_Gaughan
I'm a pretty clever person, and throughout high school I achieved decent results - mostly As or A*s. However, the end of my GCSEs are fast approaching and i'm worried that I've not done well enough. Throughout the past two years I have simply not put in enough effort, and am worried that my GCSEs wont be good enough. I have two exams left, and am predicted 2A*s, 3As, 3Bs and 2Cs. These results are way more than I need to go to college, but will they be acceptable for good universities? I am just upset, because I know I had the potential to do better.

I can seriously relate to this, it is annoying how it really is only down to like 2 hours on one day that determines your final grade :| I want to go to a Russel group university in the future. With those GCSE results you WILL definitely get places at many!!! Most of universities mainly look at alevels anyway, they will only take a proper look at your GCSE's if for example you want to take a specific subject at uni and didn't take it for alevel. Anyway there are only a few unis that do take a proper look at GCSE's : Birmingham, Oxford and Cambridge .
All the best :smile:
I'm a pretty clever person, and throughout high school I achieved decent results - mostly As or A*s. However, the end of my GCSEs are fast approaching and i'm worried that I've not done well enough. Throughout the past two years I have simply not put in enough effort, and am worried that my GCSEs wont be good enough. I have two exams left, and am predicted 2A*s, 3As, 3Bs and 2Cs. These results are way more than I need to go to college, but will they be acceptable for good universities? I am just upset, because I know I had the potential to do better.

Sorry to disappoint, but Oxford/Cambridge usually look for 6 A*s at least and GCSEs matter even more this year because of changes to A levels. I guess it's too late for you and you should've realised you need to actually work sooner.
Original post by Pyongyang123
Sorry to disappoint, but Oxford/Cambridge usually look for 6 A*s at least and GCSEs matter even more this year because of changes to A levels. I guess it's too late for you and you should've realised you need to actually work sooner.

They don't look for 6 A*s at least at all. There are no GCSE requirements for most courses at Oxbridge. 6 A*s is just the average number of GCSEs Oxbridge students get. Some get more, some get less.
Wow those are some pretty awesome predictions man. You will do amazing I'm worried that I've done terrible because I get so nervous that I've written the wrong answer. But what ever result you get, it's not the end of the world. You can still become successful, because you are a strong person! Gd luck :smile:
I've heard that Oxford actually looks at your schools overall performance, like I go to a tremendously sh*t school where no one has EVER achieved an A* in Maths and every year since the beginning the majority of students don't achieve 5 A*-C's and actually fail English and Maths.

The teaching is absolute bullsh*t, but I should be getting an A* in Maths, B in English Language, A in Science, A* in RS, A* in ICT, A* in Urdu and I'd probably fail English Lit because we started getting taught 2 weeks before the exam!

I am certain about my Maths and Science grades as I have looked at the answers published on this site and have got sufficient marks to get an A* and A.

Do you think I stand a chance?
Reply 6
Original post by george_c00per
They don't look for 6 A*s at least at all. There are no GCSE requirements for most courses at Oxbridge. 6 A*s is just the average number of GCSEs Oxbridge students get. Some get more, some get less.

With the average being 6 A*s, you should be looking at achieving 6 A*s to at least put you at an average pace with other applicants. Therefore, 6 A*s is required to at least some extent.

OP, GCSEs do not matter for most Universities. You need to have GCSE grades in Maths and English Language at grade C and some ask for a minimum of a grade B. If you get that you're good to go.

For Oxbridge it's a little more strict; but if you got high As next year in AS I wouldn't see a reason to not apply if that's where you're aiming for.
I'd give up if I were you. Maybe try a job at McDonald's and see if you fancy the low income life.
Reply 8
Original post by hamza772000
I've heard that Oxford actually looks at your schools overall performance, like I go to a tremendously sh*t school where no one has EVER achieved an A* in Maths and every year since the beginning the majority of students don't achieve 5 A*-C's and actually fail English and Maths.

The teaching is absolute bullsh*t, but I should be getting an A* in Maths, B in English Language, A in Science, A* in RS, A* in ICT, A* in Urdu and I'd probably fail English Lit because we started getting taught 2 weeks before the exam!

I am certain about my Maths and Science grades as I have looked at the answers published on this site and have got sufficient marks to get an A* and A.

Do you think I stand a chance?

Oxford look at your GCSE grades more than Cambridge do. Oxford state on their website 'if, for example, you didn’t get all A* and A grades, but your results were among the best in your year group, that will be taken into account.'

If you get the best in your year and then continue on to get As at AS Level with high UMS and are predicted the entry requirements, apply. Nobody can tell you if you will or won't get an offer - the only way to know for certain is to apply. Even an admissions officer won't know until they see your entire application.
I don't need these kinds of people getting in my way
Give up already
Original post by celloel
Oxford look at your GCSE grades more than Cambridge do. Oxford state on their website 'if, for example, you didn’t get all A* and A grades, but your results were among the best in your year group, that will be taken into account.'

If you get the best in your year and then continue on to get As at AS Level with high UMS and are predicted the entry requirements, apply. Nobody can tell you if you will or won't get an offer - the only way to know for certain is to apply. Even an admissions officer won't know until they see your entire application.
I 100% will get the highest in my year(not boasting), as no one in my year gives a sh*t.

Btw: I'd be doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computing next year and am really determined to get A*'s in all of these subjects.
Of course no one can tell me whether I've got a place or not. I just wanted to know whether its even possible for me to get a place?

Anyways, Thanks a lot, you were really helpful. :smile:
I 100% will get the highest in my year(not boasting), as no one in my year gives a sh*t.

Btw: I'd be doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computing next year and am really determined to get A*'s in all of these subjects.
Of course no one can tell me whether I've got a place or not. I just wanted to know whether its even possible for me to get a place?

Anyways, Thanks a lot, you were really helpful. :smile:

Best to wait and see what you get at AS and then decide whether to apply
Original post by celloel
Best to wait and see what you get at AS and then decide whether to apply
Okay. Thanks a lot. :smile:
One more question: I'm doing physics next year, and because of the changes I'll only have exams at the end of year 13, so how would I know what I got at AS?

This may be a stupid question. I'm really sorry for asking too many. :redface:

I don't want a place at Oxford or Cambridge, but I hopefully waned to go to a Russel Group Uni. I know I can do so much better in my A-Levels and am determined to put in the work.
I'd give up if I were you. Maybe try a job at McDonald's and see if you fancy the low income life.

I really hope this is sarcasm :/
I don't want a place at Oxford or Cambridge, but I hopefully waned to go to a Russel Group Uni. I know I can do so much better in my A-Levels and am determined to put in the work.

Lol fat chance. Try tesco. Or clean my house?

I'm definitely not aiming for Oxbridge Universities, but hopefully one in the Russel Group. I'm so determined to do well in my A-Levels; I'll try so much harder. Are my results good enough for these Uni's?
Okay. Thanks a lot. :smile:
One more question: I'm doing physics next year, and because of the changes I'll only have exams at the end of year 13, so how would I know what I got at AS?

This may be a stupid question. I'm really sorry for asking too many. :redface:

It's okay! I like trying to help people :redface:
I'm the first year doing the changes (I'm in the year above you) and some colleges/schools will get you to sit AS Levels (mine has). It's not required anymore so you'd have to check to see if your school does. If not, your GCSE results might become slightly more important as they're the only results the Universities will see.

As long as your sixth form/college will predict you decent results for your full A Level then you'll be fine. You said you didn't want to go to Oxbridge - your results are more than fine for Russell Group Universities!
I'm a pretty clever person, and throughout high school I achieved decent results - mostly As or A*s. However, the end of my GCSEs are fast approaching and i'm worried that I've not done well enough. Throughout the past two years I have simply not put in enough effort, and am worried that my GCSEs wont be good enough. I have two exams left, and am predicted 2A*s, 3As, 3Bs and 2Cs. These results are way more than I need to go to college, but will they be acceptable for good universities? I am just upset, because I know I had the potential to do better. I'm not aiming for an Oxbridge University, but would Russel Group Uni's still accept me with these results?

My goodness, everything you've written in this paragraph reflects me right now. I know for a fact I could have tried harder for my GCSE's and I'd be lucky to get 5A*'s 4A's and 2B's. I know I can do well for my AS/A-levels but I feel that even though I do, my gcse grades will let me down massively.
Still aim for Oxbridge and do the best for your AS, that's what I'm planning to do. You honestly never know where life takes you:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest