The Student Room Group

Do you think uni is value for money?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Trapz99
That shows that a degree is useful then since it helps you get jobs. So they're willing to pay for it and aren't being forced.

But students should only pay what's fair. Can you honestly say students get value for money? What are they actually getting for that 9k fee?
Original post by Snufkin
But students should only pay what's fair. Can you honestly say students get value for money? What are they actually getting for that 9k fee?

A better chance of getting a good job. Graduates do earn more than non-graduates on average so the degree is an investment in a way that pays off in the future.
Original post by Trapz99
A better chance of getting a good job. Graduates do earn more than non-graduates on average so the degree is an investment in a way that pays off in the future.

No, that is a long-term benefit of having a degree. What are students getting right now for their fee? University facilities haven't improved and the number of contact hours hasn't changed since fees were trebled, so I ask again, are students getting value for money?
Original post by Snufkin
No, that is a long-term benefit of having a degree. What are students getting right now for their fee? University facilities haven't improved and the number of contact hours hasn't changed since fees were trebled, so I ask again, are students getting value for money?

That doesn't really matter though. Most people don't really care that much about teaching quality because it is the opportunities with a degree that matter, as well as the university experience and the networks that will be developed at uni. If you want teaching quality, go to a top institution like Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL and the like. Most other universities are there as an investment really which will help open up opportunities.

Also, the cost of providing the facilities and the teaching is actually a lot more than the £9000 a year, which is heavily subsidised. A degree actually costs a lot more to provide so you're actually getting a bargain at £9000 a year.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Trapz99
That doesn't really matter though. Most people don't really care that much about teaching quality because it is the opportunities with a degree that matter, as well as the university experience and the networks that will be developed at uni. If you want teaching quality, go to a top institution like Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL and the like. Most other universities are there as an investment really which will help open up opportunities.

Also, the cost of providing the facilities and the teaching is actually a lot more than the £9000 a year, which is heavily subsidised. A degree actually costs a lot more to provide so you're actually getting a bargain at £9000 a year.

It should matter and I think a lot of people do care. The teaching quality and facilities at Imperial, LSE, UCL etc haven't changed since 2012 either so students there should be just as angry as anyone else.

Where are you getting your information from? The government used to subsidise degrees, but in 2012 virtually all public funding was cut. That's why university fees were raised in the first place, to make up the shortfall in government funding. The cost of an Oxbridge degree is more than £9,000 because they have more contact hours with tutors and professors, but the cost of running a non-clinical degree at any other university is not 9k. Humanities degrees actually cost much less than 9k.
Original post by Trapz99

Top institution doesn't equal great teaching, having listened to a friend at imperial, 1 at Cambridge and a few at low ranking places it sounds like it's quite the opposite

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Snufkin
It should matter and I think a lot of people do care. The teaching quality and facilities at Imperial, LSE, UCL etc haven't changed since 2012 either so students there should be just as angry as anyone else.

Where are you getting your information from? The government used to subsidise degrees, but in 2012 virtually all public funding was cut. That's why university fees were raised in the first place, to make up the shortfall in government funding. The cost of an Oxbridge degree is more than £9,000 because they have more contact hours with tutors and professors, but the cost of running a non-clinical degree at any other university is not 9k. Humanities degrees actually cost much less than 9k.

Yeah but the price has to be the same for all degrees in order for people to be not choosing a degree based on price.
Original post by Calzs34
I don't really see how you've physically lost 9k, unless you paid upfront? And surely it gave you life experience, cooking, managing money, time, social life ?

No, it is student loan. But having student loan will affect getting mortgages in the future (saying that no one from our generation will be able to buy a house) & no I didn't live away thank god.
Reply 88
I'm going back to university in October. In Germany it is definitely value for money. I would never do this in the UK, of course.
Original post by llys
I'm going back to university in October. In Germany it is definitely value for money. I would never do this in the UK, of course.

:eek:! Good luck, what will you be studying in Germany?
Reply 90
Original post by Snufkin
:eek:! Good luck, what will you be studying in Germany?

Thanks. I will study Statistics while working 20 hours/week in Software Development. :biggrin:
I've decided I want to go into "Big Data" later.
Original post by llys
Thanks. I will study Statistics while working 20 hours/week in Software Development. :biggrin:
I've decided I want to go into "Big Data" later.

Oh nice. Where abouts? If there was a degree in a subject I was interested in that was taught in English, I'd be there in a flash. I kind of regret doing French and not German now. :frown:
Reply 92
Original post by Snufkin
Oh nice. Where abouts? If there was a degree in a subject I was interested in that was taught in English, I'd be there in a flash. I kind of regret doing French and not German now. :frown:

In Dortmund. Yes, (with few exceptions) you'd have to speak German. But France also has no tuition fees I think (?), you could study in French in Switzerland, which has very low fees (like CHF 500 per semester), and I think Scandinavian countries generally have no fees either, and I think they offer some degrees in English. What subjects would you be interested in?
In the vast majority of cases, no, I don't think university is value for money.

Many people I went to school with went to uni and did subjects at good universities... yet most of them are working in the same job they had during Sixth Form! Eg they worked part-time at Co-op during Sixth Form and are still working there, only full-time and maybe with a promotion.

There are other cases where it's worth going to uni, but the value for money is still questionable. There's no doubt that uni can open doors and opportunities, and some careers do require degrees (even if the subject isn't specified, having a degree can help get a foot in the door). Though, half the time, the contact hours are so few, I'd still say it isn't value for money.

I think my degree is somewhere in the middle (medicine). I need the degree for my future job, I have a lot of contact hours, etc. Also, my lab dissertation also no doubt cost a few grand in equipment and supplies.

Still feel bitter that if I'd gone to uni a few years before I'd only be paying £3k/yr though.
Original post by llys
In Dortmund. Yes, (with few exceptions) you'd have to speak German. But France also has no tuition fees I think (?), you could study in French in Switzerland, which has very low fees (like CHF 500 per semester), and I think Scandinavian countries generally have no fees either, and I think they offer some degrees in English. What subjects would you be interested in?

Ah well I meant I'd quite like to move to and work in Germany, I don't think I'd like to live permanently in France.

My French isn't good enough to study in French in France, I could probably get it up to scratch in a year but I get the feeling French universities aren't that good tbh. Also the cost of living is pretty high in France, whereas in Germany rent is so cheap.

I'm doing an online course with a Norwegian university at the moment just cos it's free and passes the time, but the goal is to do a Scandinavian Studies degree. But I am also interested in geography... if there was an English-taught geography degree in Germany I'd probably do that. But alas there isn't.
Reply 95
Original post by Runescapian
No, it is student loan. But having student loan will affect getting mortgages in the future (saying that no one from our generation will be able to buy a house) & no I didn't live away thank god.

It doesn't affect your credit rating. And the repayment rate is fairly low (9% of your income above £21k) so it doesn't have a huge impact on your ability to raise a mortgage.

The affordability (or not) of housing is not really related to student loans.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 96
Original post by Loyota
No one is forcing you to go. If you say no, DON'T GO - simple solution people.

It's not actually. There is a system instilled that the only way to get a good earning is to get highly educated and the only way to get such a level of education is to go to university. Of course, to be able to get in to university means you need money, and so the only way is to earn...
So yeah it's a cycle. It's not so much a situation which gives you a choice.
I personally love learning and dream of going to university. But to say that it's WORTH the cost is not true at all.
Either way It's an obligation we all have to face. Truth be told, it doesn't really have to be this expensive. But university is also essentially a business and their profit margins are stupidly high. But once again, not much we can do about it
It depends on 1) where you study and on 2) what you study~

This can make a huuuuuuuuge difference~
Depends on the degree, especially in places like Germany and Finland where it is free.
Interesting thread. But I'm curious to know on what people think about mature students going to university, as undergraduates. Is it better because they picked up some work experience and earned some money? Or is it too late?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending