The Student Room Group

AQA German GCSE 8th June

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nudelauflauf
I was planning on doing an A-level German, but one of my teachers said the workload was immense and you had to have a huge understanding of grammar AND vocab. I do enjoy languages but I don't want to risk it affecting my other subjects, what do you think?

It's a tricky one....:smile: I think that's true, but the vocab is learn over the course of the year rather than learning it all at the end before the exam so I found it manageable to be honest. They have a point about the grammar, but provided you work hard it can surely be done.

What sort of grade are you predicted at GCSE?
Original post by NiamhM1801
I really wish I was doing A Level...my sixth form aren't running it because I'm the only one who picked it :frown:

OMG I was exactly the same! I'm the only person who picked it across three schools😐 It's all been sorted though, and I'm going to be combined with year 13( so happy and excited!) Is there anything your school have suggested they could do for you? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SophFlorence
OMG I was exactly the same! I'm the only person who picked it across three schools😐 It's all been sorted though, and I'm going to be combined with year 13( so happy and excited!) Is there anything your school have suggested they could do for you? X

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aw that's good for you! But no nothing's been done for me, all they've suggested is night classes or something which really don't appeal to me. I guess I could go elsewhere, but I don't really want to plus it's a bit too late now. I was relying on someone from the school we're partnered with to pick it too, but no one from there even chose a language full stop! Have fun with the year 13s!
Original post by La_magicienne
Awww no! That is such a shame. I was the only one in my A-level French class this year and it still went ahead (at AS there were two of us:smile:) and in German we had 4 at AS-Level, and 2 of us carried on to A2.

Wow...we only have 13 in our GCSE class but I was the only one ever really interested in it - other people were good but just didn't care really, so none of them want to carry on. There are a few doing French as well which really just rubs it in!!
Aw that's good for you! But no nothing's been done for me, all they've suggested is night classes or something which really don't appeal to me. I guess I could go elsewhere, but I don't really want to plus it's a bit too late now. I was relying on someone from the school we're partnered with to pick it too, but no one from there even chose a language full stop! Have fun with the year 13s!

That's such a shame. I don't blame you for not wanting to go somewhere else- I was exactly the same when I was in your position; I love where I am! Thank you- I really hope you will get to study German in the future- you could always study it from scratch at University!!?

I honestly think it's saddening how highly disliked languages are- if we coincidentally have both been in the situation where we're the only person who wants to study German, then imagine what the statistic is as a whole country. Ugh! It totally frustrates me... sorry haha.. rant over.
Original post by SophFlorence
That's such a shame. I don't blame you for not wanting to go somewhere else- I was exactly the same when I was in your position; I love where I am! Thank you- I really hope you will get to study German in the future- you could always study it from scratch at University!!?

I honestly think it's saddening how highly disliked languages are- if we coincidentally have both been in the situation where we're the only person who wants to study German, then imagine what the statistic is as a whole country. Ugh! It totally frustrates me... sorry haha.. rant over.

Yeah, I think I will just drop it for now but pick it back up later in life.

So do I! I just don't understand the stigma surrounding languages as I've always loved them! I wanted to study both French and German at GCSE but the form made it really difficult to do that so I didn't think you could. And I know - they moan about the lack of people doing a language A Level but then don't allow the odd one or two people from the majority of schools to take it!
Yeah, I think I will just drop it for now but pick it back up later in life.

So do I! I just don't understand the stigma surrounding languages as I've always loved them! I wanted to study both French and German at GCSE but the form made it really difficult to do that so I didn't think you could. And I know - they moan about the lack of people doing a language A Level but then don't allow the odd one or two people from the majority of schools to take it!

Neither do I- AGH!!! :angry: I know right- languages are just so awesome :smile:

Precisely- It's ripping teenagers' education away! :frown:
It's a tricky one....:smile: I think that's true, but the vocab is learn over the course of the year rather than learning it all at the end before the exam so I found it manageable to be honest. They have a point about the grammar, but provided you work hard it can surely be done.

What sort of grade are you predicted at GCSE?

Well for German A* and same for Spanish. Which, considering I did quite well on the coursework, I think will be achievable. I've just heard stories of people getting A*s etc. And then being overshadowed by the work and not doing well at As/A level
Is anyone here planning on doing German at A-level? I take both German and French so if anyone has any questions... :biggrin:

Hi! I am planning to take German as an A-Level along with Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Chemistry. However, I'm now doubting the choice of doing 5 A-Levels - particularly with one of them being a language. What are your thoughts on German with those other A-Levels? Thanks in advance!
I'm taking German AS - there will be about 5 of us. I'm also taking Maths, Further Maths and Economics for A-Levels
Well for German A* and same for Spanish. Which, considering I did quite well on the coursework, I think will be achievable. I've just heard stories of people getting A*s etc. And then being overshadowed by the work and not doing well at As/A level

That should be absolutely fine then given your GCSE performance! That is true, I mean it hasn't happened in my sixth form (everyone who took a language got a B or better at AS) but there were a couple who got an A at GCSE but really struggled at AS. However, they did manage to get their heads around the grammar and still did well.

I think if people get good grades at GCSE in a language, it is sometimes just from memorising the speaking and listening controlled assessments well and coming out with an A*. if people expect A-Level to be the same, that is where they are going to come out with a bad grade because A-Level requires more creativity and spontaneity. I find it really rewarding though to be able to work hard and actively see improvement after improvement in fluency! :smile:
Original post by pinksplodge
Hi! I am planning to take German as an A-Level along with Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Chemistry. However, I'm now doubting the choice of doing 5 A-Levels - particularly with one of them being a language. What are your thoughts on German with those other A-Levels? Thanks in advance!

I think that could definitely work :smile: In fact, every other person in my year in sixth form who took a language was scientific and I was the exception! I have always wanted to study languages at university, so I took French, German and English Lit (and Fine Art last year:wink:) - all the arts subjects basically, although I did do decently in GCSE in maths/sciences but I never enjoyed it. Everyone else was doing maths, further maths, chemistry, biology etc at AS along with a language. In which case, I think it's safe to say a language really complements your other subjects, go for it! Especially German because it's so logical with the grammar, it would suit your style of thinking really well :tongue:
Original post by HarryGCSE
I'm taking German AS - there will be about 5 of us. I'm also taking Maths, Further Maths and Economics for A-Levels

Good luck! Many mathematically-minded people seem to do well at german, because of the logic and pattern I assume :biggrin: 5 is a good number, it's small enough so the teacher can personalise the lessons, but big enough to have a decent discussion about the AS topics.
Good luck! Many mathematically-minded people seem to do well at german, because of the logic and pattern I assume :biggrin: 5 is a good number, it's small enough so the teacher can personalise the lessons, but big enough to have a decent discussion about the AS topics.

What are the usual AS/A level topics? Are there more social issues in it?
What are the usual AS/A level topics? Are there more social issues in it?

I'm not sure when the new spec begins and whether the topics are different! For our AS at least, we had Media (TV, Advertising, Communication Technology) Healthy lifestyles (Sport, Healthy eating, Holidays), Relationships (Family, Friendships and Marriage) and Popular Culture (Fashion, Music, Cinema)

A2 is more topical and based on social issues with topics including Racism, integration, Immigration, Multicultural Society, Law and Order, Poverty, the Environment, Energy and Science. Plus 2 cultural topics chosen by your teacher (we did one book and one film) :smile:
I am planning to do it at a-level if I get an A. I'm just not prepared to work that hard if I am a B standard GCSE student where I can do Chemistry instead to which I equally enjoy.

Physics, Maths, Business, Chemistry/German

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending