The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ComputerMaths97
I applied to JMC, looked like an amazing course.

But because Imperial think they're way better than they are, they gave me an A*A*AA offer, meaning I had to reject it. They really are a bit silly there.

Did you not consider changing to straight computing course for a lower offer?
Then you would have the option to change to JMC if you missed you cambridge offer but achieved the JMC condition.
Even if you did not meet the JMC you would still be admitted for imperial computing course. Since UCL and imperial computing requirements are similar.
Original post by TheWiseMan
Did you not consider changing to straight computing course for a lower offer?
Then you would have the option to change to JMC if you missed you cambridge offer but achieved the JMC condition.
Even if you did not meet the JMC you would still be admitted for imperial computing course. Since UCL and imperial computing requirements are similar.

Nope I did not consider the idea that I could change my course after already receiving an offer.

Also, my application was very maths based. I had pretty much 0 computing related stuff.
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Nope I did not consider the idea that I could change my course after already receiving an offer.

Also, my application was very maths based. I had pretty much 0 computing related stuff.

My brother failed step with a Computer Science w/ maths offer and they switched him to Computer Science only, so there is some hope of them switching you I guess :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IrrationalRoot
It's funny I just came online to ask whether this would be accepted.
Anyway my solution was a bit convoluted but here is an outline, not sure if completely justified:
EDIT: Just realised I don't need L'Hopitals Rule or any asymptotic behaviour considerations XD, so put that in brackets.

Spoiler

Oh, I see; I just did it by induction :tongue:
Original post by StrangeBanana

Yeah that's what the ms did. Although my method could've been made super quick if I hadn't rushed into it. Really all it was was differentiating n/ln(n) to show it was strictly increasing for x>e and then showing that the inequality holds for n=5. Could've done it in a couple of lines as opposed to a side XD.
Need to make sure I take my time with STEP Qs, tend to rush too much.
Out of curiosity, when did you guys start taking a serious interest in maths? Basically what I mean is when did you start doing any maths that wasn't school work?
Out of curiosity, when did you guys start taking a serious interest in maths? Basically what I mean is when did you start doing any maths that wasn't school work?

Mid yr 12, Bmo and smc stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by StrangeBanana

Same

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Mid yr 12, Bmo and smc stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you never did any maths apart from schoolwork before mid year 12?

2 years ago
Original post by gasfxekl
2 years ago

Same :smile:.
Reply 791

January

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jjsnyder
My brother failed step with a Computer Science w/ maths offer and they switched him to Computer Science only, so there is some hope of them switching you I guess :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the words of hope mate :smile:

What did he get in his A levels?
So you never did any maths apart from schoolwork before mid year 12?

Nope, i did maths properly form yr 13 n started getting interested in mid yr 12.

2-3 years ago, I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 795

About January last year.

This January but regret it.
Hi, guys, I just want to ask about one thing,
Regarding to implications mentioned in the syllabus, are they referring that we have to use implications in the working out of all questions, so for example, x^2-4=0 iff (x-2)(x+2)=0 or do they just mean that we have to understand if and only if in case some questions ask us to prove something of if and only if?

It's because my working out for example, taking the above example, I will just write (because sometimes I am not sure if it's if or iff):
x^2-4=0, (x-2)(x+2)=0
I would not use the arrow and the double arrow to show the if and only if, I will just use a comma. I wonder if I would lose marks like that.

And exactly, how much working out is expected for a question? Do I have to explain all the steps of the calculation? Because looking at the mark schemes of 2011, they basically explain every step. So is that expected?:smile:
Reply 798
Original post by Geraer100
Hi, guys, I just want to ask about one thing,
Regarding to implications mentioned in the syllabus, are they referring that we have to use implications in the working out of all questions, so for example, x^2-4=0 iff (x-2)(x+2)=0 or do they just mean that we have to understand if and only if in case some questions ask us to prove something of if and only if?

The latter.

It's because my working out for example, taking the above example, I will just write (because sometimes I am not sure if it's if or iff):
x^2-4=0, (x-2)(x+2)=0
I would not use the arrow and the double arrow to show the if and only if, I will just use a comma. I wonder if I would lose marks like that.

You won't lose marks.

And exactly, how much working out is expected for a question? Do I have to explain all the steps of the calculation? Because looking at the mark schemes of 2011, they basically explain every step. So is that expected?:smile:

Use reasonable judgement. You don't need to explain every step.
Original post by Zacken
The latter.

You won't lose marks.

Use reasonable judgement. You don't need to explain every step.

Okay, really thanks! I was really afraid that you will say that we have to use implications in all questions!

Okay, so is it more or less the same as a level maths? that we just have to show that the answer didn't come from guessing?

And the arrow (one way) means imply or is it something just like the comma to indicate you go from one expression to another?:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending