The Student Room Group

Lancaster vs Warwick for a maths degree.....

not sure which uni i really want to go to study a maths degree ( Potentially Mmath) , they each have there pros and cons.
Lancaster: Pros - 1hr 30 from home , £3,000 scholarship for first year ( if A*A*A grades achieved, which will be hopefully), top 10 for maths.

cons- not a russell group university , Warwick is more appealing to future employers, i will be too relaxed going into uni as getting into Lancaster won't require as much effort as getting into Warwick will.

Warwick: pros- Mentioned in cons of Lancaster, higher ranking than Lancaster.
cons- further from home ( 3-4hours), less finance available.
Any advice would be appreciated thank you :smile:
Warwick is miles better than Lancaster. The only reason Lancaster is ranked relatively highly for Maths is because it has a half-decent Stats department, the Maths department itself is sub-par (and Stats isn't even proper Maths).

Course-wise, half of the first year modules at Lancaster are just repeats of A-level material, whereas at Warwick you have just one introductory module at the start of the year and then it's straight on to the new and interesting stuff. I mean Lancaster doesn't introduce Analysis, Linear Algebra, or Groups until year 2 which shows you how much pointless faffing around there is in year 1. Also, at Lancaster all modules in the first two years are compulsory (this includes compulsory Stats modules), whereas at Warwick you can pick and choose modules starting from year 1.

Warwick's Maths building comes with a common room and group work spaces, so if you wanted to meet with friends after a lecture to go through coursework then there's plenty of room. Lancaster on the other hand does not have a separate Maths building and the department is just a few dingy office corridors with no dedicated rooms for students, so you'd have to look elsewhere on campus if you wanted to do any kind of group work.

I'd definitely go for Warwick if you feel as though you can get the grades, plus as Warwick graduates are more favoured by employers you're more likely to earn a higher salary after graduating from Warwick which would more than balance out the loss of the Lancaster scholarship. And if you want to do a postgrad course then a good 2:1 from Warwick would get you a place on pretty much any relevant course at any university, whereas the same class degree from Lancaster would limit your options.
Reply 2
Original post by stevey396
Warwick is miles better than Lancaster. The only reason Lancaster is ranked relatively highly for Maths is because it has a half-decent Stats department, the Maths department itself is sub-par (and Stats isn't even proper Maths).

Course-wise, half of the first year modules at Lancaster are just repeats of A-level material, whereas at Warwick you have just one introductory module at the start of the year and then it's straight on to the new and interesting stuff. I mean Lancaster doesn't introduce Analysis, Linear Algebra, or Groups until year 2 which shows you how much pointless faffing around there is in year 1. Also, at Lancaster all modules in the first two years are compulsory (this includes compulsory Stats modules), whereas at Warwick you can pick and choose modules starting from year 1.

Warwick's Maths building comes with a common room and group work spaces, so if you wanted to meet with friends after a lecture to go through coursework then there's plenty of room. Lancaster on the other hand does not have a separate Maths building and the department is just a few dingy office corridors with no dedicated rooms for students, so you'd have to look elsewhere on campus if you wanted to do any kind of group work.

I'd definitely go for Warwick if you feel as though you can get the grades, plus as Warwick graduates are more favoured by employers you're more likely to earn a higher salary after graduating from Warwick which would more than balance out the loss of the Lancaster scholarship. And if you want to do a postgrad course then a good 2:1 from Warwick would get you a place on pretty much any relevant course at any university, whereas the same class degree from Lancaster would limit your options.

Thank you for your help:smile:, been having mixed feelings about which uni to go with but now ill probably go with Warwick and put Lancaster down as an insurance . thanks
Reply 3
Definitely Warwick
Also want to add that if you don't like Stats then your 3rd year options at Lancaster are extremely limited, especially if you're doing the 4 year MSci.

Plus as far as I know, Lancaster has no Maths society.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Warwick opens up more opportunities but they're both very good and it depends on what you want to do after uni.
Warwick, the potential financial drawbacks are heavily mitigated by the higher salary achieved upon graduation.
Original post by Trapz99
Warwick opens up more opportunities but they're both very good and it depends on what you want to do after uni.

Yep, if you go to Lancaster you can wave goodbye to any chance of getting into any sort of Investment Banking role.

Plus the Warwick Finance society has a very good track record of getting people into internships, Lancaster less so.
Reply 8
Original post by stevey396
Yep, if you go to Lancaster you can wave goodbye to any chance of getting into any sort of Investment Banking role.

Plus the Warwick Finance society has a very good track record of getting people into internships, Lancaster less so.

Yeah but not everyone wants to banking aha
op are u serious
lmao
Lol, OP, money shouldn't be the reason why you dent your future. Choose Warwick, it's amazing too socially. Inbox me and I can tell you all about it:smile:.
Reply 11
As someone who's just finished a Maths degree at Lancaster, I feel I have to stick up for it a bit... Yes, it doesn't have the reputation that Warwick does with the Russell Group aspect, etc., but I've found it to be a good department willing to support students.

Lancaster does have a maths society, but it's not particularly active as few people took interest in it - personally, I found it much easier making friends directly on my course and forming a much more personal, friendly study group that way. The different workshops for modules and projects you do also provide opportunity to make new friends on your course, for study or otherwise. There are also lots of other societies, such as the Investment Finance Society, which offer lots of career help. Also, that waving goodbye to investment banking opportunities if you go to Lancaster is rubbish, considering I have friends now heading into graduate positions within that sector.

Yes, there is a lack of flexibility in module choices in the first two years, as all modules are compulsory. However, I think I've actually benefitted from that, as I wouldn't have done any analysis given the choice straight away, so I've now got a broad level of understanding whilst then being able to go into depth in my third year. With friends having just chosen their fourth year modules (I'm going into working in actuarial, saw no benefit in prolonging exams by doing another year at uni), I'm aware that Lancaster are growing the amount of modules they're offering each year. Yes, a lot of what's on offer is stats-based, but, again, that was what I was interested in, hence why I've enjoyed the course.

Ultimately, it depends what you want to get out of university. I wasn't just interested in the prestige of a the university I was attending, I wanted to feel at home there and also know I could enjoy my time studying, so felt Lancaster was better for me. Plus, the minor scheme they offer in first year allowed me to study areas outside of mathematics. Under that scheme, you could minor in something like Economics if you so desired, and then even continue this into your degree in subsequent years if you wanted. That flexibility was of great appeal to me.
There's not as much difference as you might think for statistics, Lancaster is similar to Warwick, Bristol, UCL etc. for prestige in that area. For anything else, there is quite a significant difference. Lancaster is one of the best non-Russell group universities, and arguably as good as some Russell groups for maths, but Warwick is arguably the second best university for maths in the UK, so your chances of getting into good postgraduate courses or banking roles would vary quite a lot between them. I know someone who chose Lancaster over Warwick, but that was for maths and stats. For straight maths I'd definitely go for Warwick.
Original post by dididid
not sure which uni i really want to go to study a maths degree ( Potentially Mmath) , they each have there pros and cons.
Lancaster: Pros - 1hr 30 from home , £3,000 scholarship for first year ( if A*A*A grades achieved, which will be hopefully), top 10 for maths.

cons- not a russell group university , Warwick is more appealing to future employers, i will be too relaxed going into uni as getting into Lancaster won't require as much effort as getting into Warwick will.

So... what happened? Where did you end up and more importantly did it have a happy ending?
Reality can be a bit different from expectations.
Original post by dididid

I may be biased as I am at Lancaster uni but it doesn't really matter whether a uni is Russel group or not. Lancaster is uni of the year which means it has improved the most and I think it's number 6 overall in the league tables. I don't know much about Warwick but I certainly wouldn't cut off a uni option just because it's not in the Russel group.
Warwick has a reputation for Mathematics for good reason. It is hard work but it does have a lot of flexibility in what you can do so you can leave behind areas that don't interest you sooner as well as giving you the chance to develop your mathematical abilities with one of the sharpest cohorts in the country. If you want to maximise the usefulness of the money spent on gaining a degree then Warwick is going to open more doors and present better opportunities in the future. I don't know anything about Lancaster I am afraid, but, if you are working at the level of A*A*A, then Warwick is a good choice.
Warwick is probably the least intimidating of the major Mathematics Universities. Most people are at the slightly geeky end of normal and very friendly.

Quick Reply

Latest