The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 713Wave
<snip>
To me it just sounds like a rumour some failing student (who happens to be a fasting Muslim) has decided to spread so he/she to create some false hope for themselves because they didn't revise for their exams.

conversely it might be that it's a 'kipper / English dickhead league social media clickbait to incite racists ...
This isn't true but everyone in my class is getting an increase of 1% to 5% in UPS scale for their coursework mark in Add Science. This was due to some special case problem where we had to do the whole cw in 2 days and the teachers were to submit the marks... Its a long story.... :0
Reply 62
Original post by hellodave5
I don't think its fair to say its ignorant - and you're looking at very small time scales, rather than in the grand history of religion.

But I agree that at the moment Islamic culture and nation states have yet to catch up with regards to modernisation and human rights.

I think its notable that religion has been a great driving force for war in human history (mostly all, par to a large degree those you mentioned).

In what way would you say ISIS is linked to religion?
If anything, ISIS is our creation.

Christian countries for the most part aren't comparable - as they are extremely developed, and are slowly turning predominantly atheistic alongside increasing levels of education. Islamic countries on the other hand are for the most part, developing nations. Even still, there has still been extreme violence in less well developed Christian countries.

So with reference to your 'middle age' comment, I think you are right in that - just because their environment is 'middle aged'.

I agree with you that its down to interpretations; but such bending of interpretation often happens in other belief systems, which is why I think Christianity is at heart all the same. But I agree that Islam has failed to develop in the same way Christianity has; perhaps due to differences in education, wealth, etc.

But even still, Islamic culture is far too autocratic and limiting of personal freedom, but should change over time with increasing globalisation (I hope!).

Only reason islam has failed to develop is because the Qur'an has not changed. Check out Birmingham discovery of oldest Qur'an. Society's law and norm always changes but God's remains the same. It now socially acceptable to be gay. Christianty has adapted it welcoming gays.Islam? Still the same.

I have no issues with gay nor does islam - Quran 109.
Its the fact that you cannot be a gay Muslim. There are investigations as to whether being gay is in your genes or not. One identical twin might be gay whereas the other is not (they have the same genes so it suggests that its no upto genes but preference). Regradless as to whether its upto genes, all islam states is that you should control you desires i.e lust/being gay because it is all a test. So being gay is a test for that person to see how well that person copes.

I understand that i have entered dangerous area so bring in the hate and i'll try to nicely answer all questions to the best of my ability.
Reply 63
Original post by Pyongyang123
Excuse me but you shouldn't be living here. I have no rights in your discriminative Islamic country so stop begging for special treatment in Europe

Wow who gave you the right to say that? And you need to gain knowledge there is noooo Islamic Country on this earth right now. They don't follow it correctly. And how are they my country? And I am not begging for any special treatment please. Looks like you are the one that is ungrateful or just a hater.
How would any prove it?! Not true as far as I am aware.
Reply 65
Those weren't religiously motivated and you're forgetting that this is the 21st century.

Your forgetting that this civil war isn't religiously motivated but politically. WW2
was because Hitler disliked jew's and nazism can be considered a religion.

regardless of whether it was religious or not, there were conflicting ideas that was resolved by violence which is not allowed in Islam.

Before you give the quote from the Qur'an ' after the forbidden months have passed kill them were you find them' lemme briefly explain.

If my memory is correct, there are 4 forbidden months, ramadan is one. So lesson one from this quote, do not be engaged in war during the forbidden months.

Lesson 2, if you continue reading the extract, it talks about those who surrender. Those who do take them to a safe place and protect them

You should also look at when this verse was revealed- what was happening at that time. The Muslims were engaged at war so no it does not mean kill them whenever you want and its justified- only in war is one allowed to do so but forbidden if that person surrenders.
Reply 66
I'm th head of re at my school actually

Being the head of Re would not change whether one is a hater. Hitler was a leader of Germany but he was still racist.
Reply 67
Original post by h333
Wow who gave you the right to say that? And you need to gain knowledge there is noooo Islamic Country on this earth right now. They don't follow it correctly. And how are they my country? And I am not begging for any special treatment please. Looks like you are the one that is ungrateful or just a hater.

I completely agree with your statement but please remember that when one is giving da'wah/ teaching someone something, he should do it in a respectful manner (so try to restrains yourself from calling someone a name or it will just become a name calling contest :smile: )
Original post by Stormz1
Only reason islam has failed to develop is because the Qur'an has not changed. Check out Birmingham discovery of oldest Qur'an. Society's law and norm always changes but God's remains the same. It now socially acceptable to be gay. Christianty has adapted it welcoming gays.Islam? Still the same.

I have no issues with gay nor does islam - Quran 109.
Its the fact that you cannot be a gay Muslim. There are investigations as to whether being gay is in your genes or not. One identical twin might be gay whereas the other is not (they have the same genes so it suggests that its no upto genes but preference). Regradless as to whether its upto genes, all islam states is that you should control you desires i.e lust/being gay because it is all a test. So being gay is a test for that person to see how well that person copes.

I understand that i have entered dangerous area so bring in the hate and i'll try to nicely answer all questions to the best of my ability.

Unfortunately I don't know much about the Quran, but perhaps you are right if at the most 'dilligent' level of belief that the source material is detrimental, then that is a big cause for concern. Most Muslims however just sort of associate with religion, rather than being strict adherents (which perhaps is very fortunate if the book has negative messages). But can the same not be said for the Bible? I'm not very up on religious texts - would be a huge time drain to actually read them (but as they're so significant in the world, maybe I should).

I don't fully understand what you mean with the point about being gay, with regards to being a Muslim.

Doesn't Christianity also have still have some issue with homosexuality?

The idea about genetics to me unfortunately doesn't hold; in that genes are not 'the same' even if they are the same genes - just because of how genes are expressed.

This is termed epigenetics where the expression of genes are altered depending on external factors in very complex ways (perhaps through addition of molecules in response to environmental pressures).

It is also that genes may mediate developmental trajectory (hormonal differences, which in term may mediate brain differences etc.), but environment often has the more considerable role.

So it is likely that sexual preference has both environmental and genetic causes, with the former mediating the latter.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by XcitingStuart
No, it's actually a test, to help see whether they are worthy of heaven or eternal punishment. :wink:

In islam, there is not necessarily 'eternal' punishment. So... Nope :biggrin:
Reply 70
I'm th head of re at my school actually

And? So this gives you the right to say Muslims don't belong here? And I am so scared for the school you are in. I would like you to say that to those converts/reverts to Islam from Europe and those who are born in Europe.
(edited 7 years ago)
:tongue:

To fill in Allah's ignorance then? :biggrin:
(J k)

Sorry? :colonhash:
I think it was a joke. I didn't get it...
Reply 72
Original post by Stormz1
I completely agree with your statement but please remember that when one is giving da'wah/ teaching someone something, he should do it in a respectful manner (so try to restrains yourself from calling someone a name or it will just become a name calling contest :smile: )

Thanks. Yeah I just had to say that at the end because this person does sound very hateful. Don't worry I am not going to go too far with name calling I can't even do that in real life. And on top it is Ramadan. :smile:
Reply 73
Original post by hellodave5
Unfortunately I don't know much about the Quran, but perhaps you are right if at the most 'dilligent' level of belief that the source material is detrimental, then that is a big cause for concern. Most Muslims however just sort of associate with religion, rather than being strict adherents (which perhaps is very fortunate if the book has negative messages). But can the same not be said for the Bible? I'm not very up on religious texts - would be a huge time drain to actually read them (but as they're so significant in the world, maybe I should).

I don't fully understand what you mean with the point about being gay, with regards to being a Muslim.

Doesn't Christianity also have still have some issue with homosexuality?

The idea about genetics to me unfortunately doesn't hold; in that genes are not 'the same' even if they are the same genes - just because of how genes are expressed.

This is termed epigenetics where the expression of genes are altered depending on external factors in very complex ways (perhaps through addition of molecules in response to environmental pressures).

It is also that genes may mediate developmental trajectory (hormonal differences etc.), but environment often has the more considerable role.

So it is likely that sexual preference has both environmental and genetic causes, with the former mediating the latter.

Yes Christianity does have issues agaisnt homosexuality. My point is, given a few years Christianity would probably accept homosexuality (it has already started) unlike islam which would continue having such viewpoint. Some say that Islam is stuck in the middle ages (the person i replied to) but thats only because it has a belief that would not change even if the social norm does or science.

As for what makes you gay, research is still being conducted. I personally think it is due to environmental factors, and yes the expression of a gene can be altered, but i am arguing against the fact that you a born gay and there is nothing else affecting that person. Hopes that makes it clearer.
Original post by Boss_Rhythm
Sorry? :colonhash:
I think it was a joke. I didn't get it...

Just saying that the test was to fill in his gaps of knowledge (on what the person knows perhaps)(despite him actually being all-knowing.)

Then the (Jk) part was to say that it was a joke; in case s.o. thought I actually thought Allah was ignorant / not all-knowing.
Reply 75
Original post by h333
Thanks. Yeah I just had to say that at the end because this person does sound very hateful. Don't worry I am not going to go too far with name calling I can't even do that in real life. And on top it is Ramadan. :smile:

Hope you have a good, rewarding Ramadan. :smile:
Just saying that the test was to fill in his gaps of knowledge (on what the person knows perhaps)(despite him actually being all-knowing.)

Then the (Jk) part was to say that it was a joke; in case s.o. thought I actually thought Allah was ignorant / not all-knowing.

Oh interesting. The way you wrote it, you might as well have written a P.h.D on it... :biggrin:
Reply 77
if you believe thats true you should get a 100% mark decrease
Original post by Stormz1
Yes Christianity does have issues agaisnt homosexuality. My point is, given a few years Christianity would probably accept homosexuality (it has already started) unlike islam which would continue having such viewpoint. Some say that Islam is stuck in the middle ages (the person i replied to) but thats only because it has a belief that would not change even if the social norm does or science.

As for what makes you gay, research is still being conducted. I personally think it is due to environmental factors, and yes the expression of a gene can be altered, but i am arguing against the fact that you a born gay and there is nothing else affecting that person. Hopes that makes it clearer.

That is probably true. Will take a while, but religious beliefs in the West are forced to modernise, alongside the rest of our culture (with a considerable decline in religiosity/religious belief). On the other hand societies that are Islamic have a less progressive society - for reasons beyond me; perhaps history of autocratic rule and suppression of rights and low education generally. So while I think this is true, I'm not sure its due to the religion in itself - even though culture and religion are hard to separate.

You are right in that it is environmental factors, as I suggested. But there is also likely a strong genetic component. This genetic component will likely be switched on or off, to some degree, based on environmental factors. But as you say, the extent to which both are responsible is currently not known as far as I am aware. Such low level processes are hard to pin down to specific processes - but it is likely that mediating effects of hormones play a considerable role.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by haybe2k
if you believe thats true you should get a 100% mark decrease

Now now that's stooping to his level.

Latest