The Student Room Group

Cashing in edexcel maths and further maths grades

Hi,

In my school, those who take further maths a level do maths in year 12 and further maths in year 13. For maths, we take C1-C4 and M1-M2.
Our teachers, and ex students, have said that the M2 module can be used towards the further maths qualification. I.e. a 94% in that module could count towards the A* requirement for further maths.
However, my examiner officer cashed in the a level maths grade and (for some reason) has not opened the cash by reentering for both maths and further maths for this years examinations so that all 12 units could be combined to give the best possible grade for both qualifications.

So my question is what can there be done about this? Is it the case that even if my a level maths modules are cashed that M2 can still be used for further maths (in replace of a module such as S1 which I'm doing this year), or is there some special thing I need to do now or on results day to request all modules to be opened up?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nikhilm
Hi,

In my school, those who take further maths a level do maths in year 12 and further maths in year 13. For maths, we take C1-C4 and M1-M2.
Our teachers, and ex students, have said that the M2 module can be used towards the further maths qualification. I.e. a 94% in that module could count towards the A* requirement for further maths.
However, my examiner officer cashed in the a level maths grade and (for some reason) has not opened the cash by reentering for both maths and further maths for this years examinations so that all 12 units could be combined to give the best possible grade for both qualifications.

So my question is what can there be done about this? Is it the case that even if my a level maths modules are cashed that M2 can still be used for further maths (in replace of a module such as S1 which I'm doing this year), or is there some special thing I need to do now or on results day to request all modules to be opened up?

Thanks

Really want to know the answer to this. I'm in the same position
Original post by Nikhilm
Hi,

Thanks

not sure i understand, your exams officer has cashed in your maths but reentered you for maths and further maths this year?
my school does all of maths in the first year too but they intentionally haven't cashed in our grades yet so they can muck about with units.
Original post by smartalan73
not sure i understand, your exams officer has cashed in your maths but reentered you for maths and further maths this year?
my school does all of maths in the first year too but they intentionally haven't cashed in our grades yet so they can muck about with units.

No, my examiner officer has cashed in and has not re-entered

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nikhilm
No, my examiner officer has cashed in and has not re-entered

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then I'd have thought the exam board would just put all the modules you do this year straight into further maths. However if, on results day, you can see that you would have got a better overall grade in both subjects if some stuff was moved, you could probably contact the exam board and they might be able to move some stuff. I do think its very odd your school doing it this way.
Then I'd have thought the exam board would just put all the modules you do this year straight into further maths. However if, on results day, you can see that you would have got a better overall grade in both subjects if some stuff was moved, you could probably contact the exam board and they might be able to move some stuff. I do think its very odd your school doing it this way.

Thanks for trying to help but I really want a definite answer on this and the guy I talked to at edexcel today doesn't have a clue

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nikhilm
Thanks for trying to help but I really want a definite answer on this and the guy I talked to at edexcel today doesn't have a clue

Posted from TSR Mobile

well thats a bit naff, was it on a helpline? surely this is something your school/exams officer should be finding out for you?
well thats a bit naff, was it on a helpline? surely this is something your school/exams officer should be finding out for you?

Well it's the weekend so no ones responding to emails and won't do until Monday. I guess I'll have to wait till then
@Mr M @tiny hobbit @Compost would really really appreciate any advice from any of you guys if you have the time. I've seen from previous threads that re-certfication after results day could be a solution? If so, could I do this now? (My examiner officer is away for two weeks so I'm not receiving help from anyone at my school)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reading through the thread various people seem to have some slightly confused ideas about Maths, Further Maths and cashing-in - it's not surprising as this is just an admin thing that students are generally completely unaware of. (Cashing in is necessary for all A level qualifications but it's simpler for others). You may find you are all fine but you just haven't realised. It's also the case that the finer details of Further Maths normally defeat the Edexcel helpline, However, it's all quite easy to fix.
In a well-run system, a school either

cashes no qualifications in until all the Maths units are finished in which case there is complete flexibility under the rules as to which applied units go where.

cashes all eligible Maths qualifications in (again if necessary) at the end of the course. This frees everything up to be moved between Maths/Further Maths/FMA to maximise grades.

It is never necessary to re-enter for the units themselves (e.g. M1), just to re-submit the cash-in. (e.g. AS Maths). The most sensible time to enter the cash-ins is with the entries in February (when it is free) but it can be done at any time up to 20 September (still free with some exam boards, about £3.50 per cash-in with Edexcel, more with WJEC). Most exams officers only make the entries they are told by departments so the responsibility for this lies with the Maths department. I suggest you talk to your head of Maths and she can sort this out with the Exams Officer.

(If you had AS Pure Maths (C1, C2, C3) cashed-in last year it gets more complicated, but that's quite rare).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Compost
Reading through the thread various people seem to have some slightly confused ideas about Maths, Further Maths and cashing-in - it's not surprising as this is just an admin thing that students are generally completely unaware of. (Cashing in is necessary for all A level qualifications but it's simpler for others). You may find you are all fine but you just haven't realised. It's also the case that the finer details of Further Maths normally defeat the Edexcel helpline, However, it's all quite easy to fix.
In a well-run system, a school either

cashes no qualifications in until all the Maths units are finished in which case there is complete flexibility under the rules as to which applied units go where.

cashes all eligible Maths qualifications in (again if necessary) at the end of the course. This frees everything up to be moved between Maths/Further Maths/FMA to maximise grades.

It is never necessary to re-enter for the units themselves (e.g. M1), just to re-submit the cash-in. (e.g. AS Maths). The most sensible time to enter the cash-ins is with the entries in February (when it is free) but it can be done at any time up to 20 September (still free with some exam boards, about £3.50 per cash-in with Edexcel, more with WJEC). Most exams officers only make the entries they are told by departments so the responsibility for this lies with the Maths department. I suggest you talk to your head of Maths and she can sort this out with the Exams Officer.

(If you had AS Pure Maths (C1, C2, C3) cashed-in last year it gets more complicated, but that's quite rare).

Thank you so much for your response. That has cleared a lot up. Specifically with my case (As I'm unable to contact my examiner's officer for two weeks), since all 6 units used for a level maths last year (C1-C4, M1-2) were cashed, from your explanation, am I right in saying that it is still possible to unlock the M2 module so that it can be used within the further maths qualification (both AS and A2 taken this june) and that this can be done right now for a small fee? (I'm edexcel)
Original post by Nikhilm
am I right in saying that it is still possible to unlock the M2 module so that it can be used within the further maths qualification (both AS and A2 taken this june)? And that this possibility would incur a small fee of £3.50? (I'm edexcel)

Yes you can.

It will probably cost £7 as they will re-cash-in both Maths AS and Maths A level but this is something the school should do routinely so you shouldn't have to pay.
Original post by Compost
Yes you can.

It will probably cost £7 as they will re-cash-in both Maths AS and Maths A level but this is something the school should do routinely so you shouldn't have to pay.

Thank you so much! So many people are my school were stressing over this yesterday when we found out our examiner had cashed in our maths a level. I'll try and get this done asap!
Original post by Compost
Yes you can.

Hi thanks for the clear up with this case.

I'm in the exact same situation having done C1-4 and M1-2 last year. I have an A* in maths and a high overall UMS. If my school unlocks all the modules, assuming i get an A* in further maths in the modules im sitting now, will some modules still be switched around to maximise UMS? Or is there the choice to avoid this / do we get to decide on which modules get switched around? I'm asking this because i may want to retain the high UMS from last year in case i reapply for university
Original post by AmarPatel98
Hi thanks for the clear up with this case.

I'm in the exact same situation having done C1-4 and M1-2 last year. I have an A* in maths and a high overall UMS. If my school unlocks all the modules, assuming i get an A* in further maths in the modules im sitting now, will some modules still be switched around to maximise UMS? Or is there the choice to avoid this / do we get to decide on which modules get switched around? I'm asking this because i may want to retain the high UMS from last year in case i reapply for university

The units are allocated according to the following criteria In this order):

Maths grade

FM grade

Maths UMS

so you have nothing to worry about.
Original post by Compost
The units are allocated according to the following criteria In this order):

Maths grade

FM grade

Maths UMS

so you have nothing to worry about.

So if they're both A*, they'll still get moved out to maximise both ums and i wont get a choice?

Thanks a lot btw
Original post by AmarPatel98
So if they're both A*, they'll still get moved out to maximise both ums and i wont get a choice?w

They will give you 2 A* and maximise your Maths UMS. You do not have a choice.
Reply 19
Original post by Compost
They will give you 2 A* and maximise your Maths UMS. You do not have a choice.

So an offer that specifies A*A*A in maths, FM and Physics with the A* required in FM and Physics is effectively a A*A*A* offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest