The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrew medicine

Hello,
I was looking at medicine at St Andrews and from what I understood a lot of the studying doesn't actually happen in St Andrew. Is that right? people studying medicine there, how did you find that?
Original post by xsashax
Hello,
I was looking at medicine at St Andrews and from what I understood a lot of the studying doesn't actually happen in St Andrew. Is that right? people studying medicine there, how did you find that?

Which part of the course are you referring to?

The St Andrews medicine course is divided into 3 years pre-clinical, followed by 3 years clinical teaching. The first 3 years (pre-clinical) is in St Andrews, for the clinical years you move to a partner medical school (either one of several Scottish medical schools or the English route which is either Manchester or Barts and the London). This means that the first half of your course is in St Andrews, the second half elsewhere. This is not unique - Oxbridge also have a pre-clinical/clinical split and many of their students go to other universities for the clinical years, although St Andrews is the only school where all the med students have to go to another uni for this - this is because there isn't a big enough hospital in St Andrews to support a clinical teaching school there.

If you are talking about the first 3 years (the BSc Medicine at St Andrews university), it is all taught in St Andrews. You do go to hospital and GP placements which can be outside the town in 2nd and 3rd year, but this is only one day a fortnight.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by xsashax
Hello,

In the first three years almost all the studying is in St Andrews in one building the MBSB.

The only time you are not is during placements when you are sent to different hospitals or GP surgeries around the Fife area and those are about once every two weeks in 2nd and 3rd years.
How is it determined where you go after third year?
Reply 4
Original post by imogen_forsyth

I'm not a medic but I imagine some hospitals are more appealing than others and you're offered a place based on your academic profile from your pre-clinical training?
Original post by imogen_forsyth

Not a med student, but from what I've heard from my friend, you rank your choices, and those with the highest marks/best qualifications get first choice.
The below is from the School of Medicine's website:

Allocation to Medical Schools

Allocation to Scottish Schools (Medical Schools at the Universities of Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh, Glasgow)
A100: S (Scotland) students will be asked to indicate their preferred Scottish location in December in the second year of the course. Academic performance in first semester of second year combined with student location preference, is used to allocate places.

Allocation to English Schools (Medical Schools at the Universities of Manchester and Queen Mary London (Barts))
A100: R (England) students will be asked to indicate their preferred English location in December in the second year of the course. Academic performance in first semester of second year combined with student location preference, is used to allocate to either Manchester or Barts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending