The Student Room Group

My exams are making me depressed, am I normal?

I haven't even gotten my results back but looking at unofficial mark schemes and talking to other people after exams has actually depressed me.

On the non-calculator paper, I was in such a good mood, I found several questions easy, but once I left that exam hall and overheard other people discussing those several questions, I realised I found them TOO easy....
Upon realising I must've lost several marks, I got home knowing the unofficial mark scheme was already live, so I counted up, in confidence, the answers that I recognised writing down.

I went onto the grade boundaries for last years exam, calming down as I realised I got the A I worked so hard to get, but then I realised that this exam was easier than last years, so the grade boundaries wont be so generous, and that I had in fact got a B.

To some people, they might find it ridiculous as to why someone would get so depressed over a B, but when I heard people that were usually getting D's-C's realising they got an A on their maths exams, I felt so disappointed.

I am at the point now where I have no energy for any more exams, and have lost all confidence in myself. I've hardly left my room and its taking all of my energy to write this but honestly, I normally never get so worked up over a maths exam, I should be overjoyed now that its over.

But I can't shake the feeling that this is going to be the outcome of all my exams that I left confidently; I'm not going to be getting the grades I worked so hard for. Maybe I just don't perform well under exam conditions, is that a possibility?

Anyway, my question and purpose for creating this thread is to ask if anybody else has had a similar problem, and how they overcame it because I'm not getting a lot of sympathy off my family ("Oh, you should've revised" which I had been doing for the past 3 months)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
its normal, just relax
Original post by Asma-A
I haven't even gotten my results back but looking at unofficial mark schemes and talking to other people after exams has actually depressed me.

On the non-calculator paper, I was in such a good mood, I found several questions easy, but once I left that exam hall and overheard other people discussing those several questions, I realised I found them TOO easy....
Upon realising I must've lost several marks, I got home knowing the unofficial mark scheme was already live, so I counted up, in confidence, the answers that I recognised writing down.

I went onto the grade boundaries for last years exam, calming down as I realised I got the A I worked so hard to get, but then I realised that this exam was easier than last years, so the grade boundaries wont be so generous, and that I had in fact got a B.

To some people, they might find it ridiculous as to why someone would get so depressed over a B, but when I heard people that were usually getting D's-C's realising they got an A on their maths exams, I felt so disappointed.

I am at the point now where I have no energy for any more exams, and have lost all confidence in myself. I've hardly left my room and its taking all of my energy to write this but honestly, I normally never get so worked up over a maths exam, I should be overjoyed now that its over.

But I can't shake the feeling that this is going to be the outcome of all my exams that I left confidently; I'm not going to be getting the grades I worked so hard for. Maybe I just don't perform well under exam conditions, is that a possibility?

Anyway, my question and purpose for creating this thread is to ask if anybody else has had a similar problem, and how they overcame it because I'm not getting a lot of sympathy off my family ("Oh, you should've revised" which I had been doing for the past 3 months)

Are you ok did your parents drop you
Oh dear, just hope McDonald's has vacant jobs!! Although I am looking for a cleaner..
Reply 4
Don't discuss exams after you've taken them. It's pointless and just leads to you feeling bad.
Reply 5
Original post by Pyongyang123
Are you ok did your parents drop you

Drop me? they never paid attention to how much revision I did.
It's definitely normal to feel like this. I know it's difficult (believe me I've been through this myself) but the best thing you can do is to not dwell on it. The only thing it's going to do is stress you out even more and potentially have a negative effect on your other exams. I know this isn't massively helpful advice but honestly, don't worry. There's nothing you can do to change the outcome now. I know it's really disappointing to not feel like you've achieved your potential but constantly thinking about it will not be good for your mental state. Even if you don't surprise yourself this summer with a better grade than you're expecting (which could happen, think positively) you could resit next year or you could just let it go. Next year when you're doing your A Levels or whatever you want to do, it really won't matter. If you start feeling really down all the time or depressed, talk to someone; a more supportive member of your family, a friend a teacher you trust (they'll have guided countless students through the same feelings).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
How many exams have you got left? i wouldn't fret over your other exams..... untill results day. You need to just focus on the ones that are left, as it could end up affecting the rest of your results!
Their is nothing more that you can do - apart from pray 😉.
Discussing you exams afterwards is honestly one of the worst things to do, and you never know you could be right!!
You need to have some confidence in yourself, and believe that you can get any grade that you want to!
Reply 8
Original post by hoafanuk
It's definitely normal to feel like this. I know it's difficult (believe me I've been through this myself) but the best thing you can do is to not dwell on it. The only thing it's going to do is stress you out even more and potentially have a negative effect on your other exams. I know this isn't massively helpful advice but honestly, don't worry. There's nothing you can do to change the outcome now. I know it's really disappointing to not feel like you've achieved your potential but constantly thinking about it will not be good for your mental state. Even if you don't surprise yourself this summer with a better grade than you're expecting (which could happen, think positively) you could resit next year or you could just let it go. Next year when you're doing your A Levels or whatever you want to do, it really won't matter. If you start feeling really down all the time or depressed, talk to someone; a more supportive member of your family, a friend a teacher you trust (they'll have guided countless students through the same feelings).

The last thing I want to do is resit maths! I'm glad to see the back of it but I hate how it turned out for me, even though my result isn't set in stone until results day.
Reply 9
Original post by Zara0526
How many exams have you got left? i wouldn't fret over your other exams..... untill results day. You need to just focus on the ones that are left, as it could end up affecting the rest of your results!
Their is nothing more that you can do - apart from pray 😉.
Discussing you exams afterwards is honestly one of the worst things to do, and you never know you could be right!!
You need to have some confidence in yourself, and believe that you can get any grade that you want to!

I only have my 2 Additional science exams left, even though I've revised so much for them, I am still scared about the exam itself. Science is one of my worst, and so was maths, so I've lost all energy for this exam.
Original post by Pyongyang123
What's for lunch slave?

???
Please ignore the people taking the piss. I need AAA to get into uni and I think I got a B/C in the exam i just sat and I feel like crap. I know this is a GCSE thread but its a similar thing.

My advice to you is to NEVER look at unofficial markschemes. Last year after my stats exam I checked the unofficial markscheme to see i scored about 46% which was an E I believe. I was gutted, cried n everything. On results day I got 87% (a high A). I kid you not. So do not look at them! I've heard similar stories from others aswell.

Focus on your next exams - you've got this!
Original post by Asma-A
I only have my 2 Additional science exams left, even though I've revised so much for them, I am still scared about the exam itself. Science is one of my worst, and so was maths, so I've lost all energy for this exam.

Ahh no, i would advise that you need to get out of this mindset that you are going to do bad! As all it will bring is a self fufilling prophecy (i.e if you think that you are going to fail then you will). To do this i would normally pray but there are other ways such as talking to yourself and telling yourself how you are going to succeed untill you believe it!!!
Having done my GCSEs i can truthully tell you that a week after results day everyone would have forgotten about them. They are legit just there to get you into 6th form 😉.
iA you will be fine and you'll do amazing in your exams.
Reply 13
Original post by nobodycarescarla
Please ignore the people taking the piss. I need AAA to get into uni and I think I got a B/C in the exam i just sat and I feel like crap. I know this is a GCSE thread but its a similar thing.

My advice to you is to NEVER look at unofficial markschemes. Last year after my stats exam I checked the unofficial markscheme to see i scored about 46% which was an E I believe. I was gutted, cried n everything. On results day I got 87% (a high A). I kid you not. So do not look at them! I've heard similar stories from others aswell.

Focus on your next exams - you've got this!

I am honestly praying that this is the case because this has made me feel a tad better thank you so much!
Original post by hoafanuk

I just read this and just want to say thank you - it was really helpful to me.
And is it possible to resit a science next year?
Reply 15
Original post by CaedKnight
???

You're his servant? Can I buy you?
Reply 16
Original post by Asma-A

I know exactly how you feel. I think that you just need to put everything in perspective now, since you can't change anything. Trust me I know how frustrating it all feels, because you worked so hard, but that's what you need to remember. You did work so hard, be proud of that, be proud of the progress and remember that in the long run it doesn't matter. If you're doing a level then maybe it does a little more, but if you think you can still do it then there's nothing stopping you.
I know there's a ton of social pressure too, people might hear you got a b and judge you, but you shouldn't have to justify yourself, anybody who might judge you (plus who would, a b is a decent grade) really is not worth the trouble.
I also understand how difficult pressure from your family can be, but you need to learn to be happy with your result, and then it won't matter. Please please please don't let this dishearten you and jeopardise your other exams.

Remember, an exam whereby your results are based heavily around everyone else's success or failure, should never define you! Whether you do exceptionally or dreadfully, your resilience and ability to stand by your values and morals even in a tough situation like this one, should define you.

Be happy and proud of what you did well, and learn from the mistakes, accept them and move on.
Keep being the best version of yourself in all other aspects of your life and you'll realise it doesn't matter.
Reply 17
This might sound controversial but I just wanted to add that I actually don't think it is a bad thing to think about the exam after its finished (depending on your character and your ability to deal with failure).
For me, it's so reassuring, I like to know generally how well I've done because either way it prepares me.
I think I could have done a lot better in the maths exam, and I found out I hadn't done brilliantly by looking at mark schemes and such afterwards, but quickly I realised that it was ok and I accepted my result and considered how it might affect my life. Had I not done this and left it until results day, I might have been really overwhelmed and I would be about to start school and it would all be really stressful. But since I know roughly what I'll get, I don't have to worry when it comes to it.
So for me personally it's a good thing, no matter the outcome, but hey maybe I'm just a control freak.
Original post by shohaib712
I just read this and just want to say thank you - it was really helpful to me.
And is it possible to resit a science next year?

I'm glad it helped 😊

I'm not sure, I don't see why not. I'd probably ask the exams officer at your school or your science teacher.
Original post by Anne.jpg
You're his servant? Can I buy you?

Rude and stupid, not the best combination if you ask me.

Quick Reply

Latest