The Student Room Group

AQA A2 English Language B 14th June 2016

How is everyone revising for this exam? Any tips, predictions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
crying
Reply 2
it's on the 15th? why does it say 14th?
Reply 3
So scared for this exam... btw can you retake this exam next year?
Sorry meant 15th, because I was thinking of my other exam the day before
Reply 5
I guess over the weekend I'll be revising the AOs as categories for lang ac and change, so I'll go over terminology etc for AO1, theories and concepts for AO2 and contextual factors (just try and remember key dates for language change like when the printing press was made, when the dictionary was first produced, when education became compulsory etc) and the influence of the child's environment and company for context of lang ac!
Other than that, structure wise I tend to go for GRAMP for the intro of lang change (genre, register, audience, mode, purpose) and then break the bulk of the essay into SPECIFICS so pick out particular features to talk about.. I usually opt for my point being made based on AO1 and then find a theory to support that point (AO2) and then bring context into it somehow.
In the conclusion, always link it back to how this shows how children acquire language or how the texts show how language has changed over time!
This is how I've always done it and I generally get good grades back in my class essays (B+/A/A*)
Hope this helps, also please give me feedback as I'm always looking to improve!! :smile:
Thank you so much for sharing, helps a lot! 😊
Reply 7
Hi everyone! I'm doing this exam too.

Have you been taught just speaking acquisition or speaking, writing and reading?
I've been taught just speaking acquisition
Reply 9
I have literally gotten *the* worst possible support for this exam. Does anybody at all have copies of A grade, marked works?? We get given part paper in lesson and I literally keep getting the same stupid grade. Is it so hard to show your students what an A piece of work looks like?? ZERO support in improving my writing, ZERO. I just keep writing the same way, it gets marked and I get the same grade.

Does ANYONE have copies of A grade pieces??

[Edit] I'm alright with language change over time. I've made a rough template of how I'll answer in the exam and what I'll include based on AOs. Just stuck with Child Language Acquisition.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lynaea
I have literally gotten *the* worst possible support for this exam. Does anybody at all have copies of A grade, marked works?? We get given part paper in lesson and I literally keep getting the same stupid grade. Is it so hard to show your students what an A piece of work looks like?? ZERO support in improving my writing, ZERO. I just keep writing the same way, it gets marked and I get the same grade.

Does ANYONE have copies of A grade pieces??

[Edit] I'm alright with language change over time. I've made a rough template of how I'll answer in the exam and what I'll include based on AOs. Just stuck with Child Language Acquisition.

I have an A* model answer. Do you have an email I could send it to? Also, I'm the opposite I really struggle with language change so if I send you mine could you send me anything that would help with language change?
Language aquisition is my strong point so I'll help as much as I can

Phonology - talk about consonant clusters, reduplication,deletion, substitution which are for articulatory ease. Perhaps link this to Berks and Browns wug test

Grammar - stage so usually telegraphic/ post telegraphic. Provide examples of content words which illustrate they're in the telegraphic stage and function words for the post telegraphic.
Virtuous errors which is a verb inflection- link this to Chomsky

Semantics - look for over extensions and under extensions. Link to Rescorla categorical, anological or miscue

Lexis - monosyllabic/ polysyllabic/ exaggerated look at how parents use it. If it's simple, perhaps this is for child directed speech - Bruner
Any regional dialect influencing language

Gender/ power links - genger (women use tag questions, superlatives)- link to Lakota politeness strategies
Fathers- imperatives some times mothers too - demonstrated instrumental power- Waerings theory
Reply 12
Original post by Chuck234
I have an A* model answer. Do you have an email I could send it to? Also, I'm the opposite I really struggle with language change so if I send you mine could you send me anything that would help with language change?

Thank you! I'm on my phone right now, I can technically send them to you because I've got them in my email but I want to add some more information (my notes). In the library right now too (I virtually live here..) 4 more hours and I'll send it :smile:
Original post by Lynaea
Thank you! I'm on my phone right now, I can technically send them to you because I've got them in my email but I want to add some more information (my notes). In the library right now too (I virtually live here..) 4 more hours and I'll send it :smile:

Haha, no problem. Good luck ,you definitely deserve it!
Reply 14
Language aquisition is my strong point so I'll help as much as I can

Phonology - talk about consonant clusters, reduplication,deletion, substitution which are for articulatory ease. Perhaps link this to Berks and Browns wug test

Grammar - stage so usually telegraphic/ post telegraphic. Provide examples of content words which illustrate they're in the telegraphic stage and function words for the post telegraphic.
Virtuous errors which is a verb inflection- link this to Chomsky

Semantics - look for over extensions and under extensions. Link to Rescorla categorical, anological or miscue

Lexis - monosyllabic/ polysyllabic/ exaggerated look at how parents use it. If it's simple, perhaps this is for child directed speech - Bruner
Any regional dialect influencing language

Gender/ power links - genger (women use tag questions, superlatives)- link to Lakota politeness strategies
Fathers- imperatives some times mothers too - demonstrated instrumental power- Waerings theory

I get that I need to add all those but the thing is that when I'm writhing about them I never get much go write, proper short paragraphs.. An example of me writing my best:20160611_160546.jpg
If anyone is missing content for their child speech acquisition I literally have all of my notes on it typed out so I can send it out to people :smile:

I'm feeling pretty confident for speech acquisition, but feel like I don't know enough for language change at the moment
Original post by Lynaea
I get that I need to add all those but the thing is that when I'm writhing about them I never get much go write, proper short paragraphs.. An example of me writing my best:20160611_160546.jpg

This is the Ruby and Lou text I have just found the transcript. I can see your problem already I was the exact same in the Mock exam.

The problem that you're having is that you're looking for whatever you can see and writing it down. What you need to do is cluster your examples, like for the post telegraphic stage there's not much meat to the sand which. You've said she should be in the telegraphic stage but your examples are limited. What I will do because I genuinely empathise with you on this one is, I'll write you a response for this question.
I'm more confident on language change as with acquisition there's a lot more to learn and remember but with change you can use knowledge from last year and just pick out anything really and comment on it
Original post by elsierose
If anyone is missing content for their child speech acquisition I literally have all of my notes on it typed out so I can send it out to people :smile:

I'm feeling pretty confident for speech acquisition, but feel like I don't know enough for language change at the moment

Please do send them I really need it!
This is the Ruby and Lou text I have just found the transcript. I can see your problem already I was the exact same in the Mock exam.

The problem that you're having is that you're looking for whatever you can see and writing it down. What you need to do is cluster your examples, like for the post telegraphic stage there's not much meat to the sand which. You've said she should be in the telegraphic stage but your examples are limited. What I will do because I genuinely empathise with you on this one is, I'll write you a response for this question.

I hope this helps it's not a fall response but I don't know how we are expected to write a full response in such a short time.

Quick Reply