The Student Room Group

Living alone at 17

I am currently living in Birmingham with a family friend who is my guardian. I started to live here in September when I started college and she (family friend) became my guardian. This is because my parents live in Tokyo with my brother and they have jobs there. I moved back to England to continue with the UK education. I used to live in Newcastle with my sister when I was 12 and before that, and I have friends there. Is it possible with my parents' consent and their support to live back in Newcastle? Maybe rent a room or something. I've been living in Birmingham for 9 months now and I still don't have any friends or anyone I really know... My best friend lives there and I like it a lot more up there
It's possible. But have you thought about how you're going to fund this? Living alone isn't cheap at all.
Original post by Tiger Rag
It's possible. But have you thought about how you're going to fund this? Living alone isn't cheap at all.

I would get a job there and my parents would be willing to pay as well. Is it a bad idea..?
Reply 3
Original post by Jennifer Dodds
I would get a job there and my parents would be willing to pay as well. Is it a bad idea..?

It can be if you look at it from a negative point of view. however as long as you have someone that will be there just in case anything wrong happens.

I doubt anyone would rent you a room at 17. However if your parents put their names on the contract (or signed as guarantors) that may be okay. How much are your parents willing to contribute? A lot of people will work while doing A levels but earning enough to support yourself even with help at 17 would be hard. Minimum wage at your age is very low and bills/deposit/etc all add up fast on top of basic rent.
Original post by doodle_333
I doubt anyone would rent you a room at 17. However if your parents put their names on the contract (or signed as guarantors) that may be okay. How much are your parents willing to contribute? A lot of people will work while doing A levels but earning enough to support yourself even with help at 17 would be hard. Minimum wage at your age is very low and bills/deposit/etc all add up fast on top of basic rent.

My parents are likely to pay the majority until I am 18 at least. They are paying my guardian for the bills right now so it wouldn't be too different
My parents are likely to pay the majority until I am 18 at least. They are paying my guardian for the bills right now so it wouldn't be too different

well you'd be adding £300-400 a month in actual rent, possibly extra for council tax and food, plus setting you up in terms of deposit and fees but if they're happy to do that you might find someone who's happy to take you with them as a guarantor... also, check contract length as you don't want to end up in a contract that runs past when your parents are happy to pay for

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending