The Student Room Group

Talking about CA online? Is it allowed?

About a month ago I responded to a thread on here asking about a Biology ISA that they struggled with. I responded with a message telling this person bits and pieces about the types of things they should say as I had already done that same ISA back in January. The rest of the conversation then took place over dms.

About that time, I noticed TSR had posted a thread explaining that you can't talk about CA online but I never clicked on it (silly me), and just before my exams my year was given a booklet saying how you weren't allowed to give information out about controlled assessment on forums as these would be routinely checked by the exam board for malpractice.

It's started to bug me though recently. It's been over a month and I just keep getting worried I've been disqualified from my exams for this and any other possible reason I can put to blame, even the most stupid ones.

So will the fact I posted about a ISA in reply to someone have put me in any trouble? Or could the message have just been deleted, which I'm fine about? I don't have anything identifiable to me on here, except for my first name which is a pretty common one anyway. But then there's IP addresses and all that the exam board could find me by, but is that pretty far reaching?
Reply 1
what is CA?
Original post by shawtyb
what is CA?

Controlled Assessment.

I doubt you would be disqualified! You didn't know and not many people really talk about CA outside of school. I've never really seen it on forums so it's probably fine. Just don't do it again!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by DamnDaniel2
Controlled Assessment.

I doubt you would be disqualified! You didn't know and not many people really talk about CA outside of school. I've never really seen it on forums so it's probably fine. Just don't do it again!

Posted from TSR Mobile

i dont get why its frowned upon when speaking about it online :/
I think it would be fine as long as you don't give them a ready made answer or something.
Original post by xEmilyxx
About a month ago I responded to a thread on here asking about a Biology ISA that they struggled with. I responded with a message telling this person bits and pieces about the types of things they should say as I had already done that same ISA back in January. The rest of the conversation then took place over dms.

About that time, I noticed TSR had posted a thread explaining that you can't talk about CA online but I never clicked on it (silly me), and just before my exams my year was given a booklet saying how you weren't allowed to give information out about controlled assessment on forums as these would be routinely checked by the exam board for malpractice.

It's started to bug me though recently. It's been over a month and I just keep getting worried I've been disqualified from my exams for this and any other possible reason I can put to blame, even the most stupid ones.

So will the fact I posted about a ISA in reply to someone have put me in any trouble? Or could the message have just been deleted, which I'm fine about? I don't have anything identifiable to me on here, except for my first name which is a pretty common one anyway. But then there's IP addresses and all that the exam board could find me by, but is that pretty far reaching?

According to Google an IP adress is:
"a unique string of numbers separated by full stops that identifies each computer using the Internet Protocol to communicate over a network."

The Examiners shall not home in on You're IP address unless they gain access onto you're computer or something, and even if they get your IP Address, they can't home in onto an exact address (not legally anyway). Furthermore, people use VPN's that always alter there IP Address, so one second they may match your IP even if they're in Australia or something (again that is nothing to worry about).
Basically, Examiners know there are many people who shall discuss their ISA and so long as you don't copy anything word for word you shall be fine.
Just make sure you've deleted what you posted, I guess, just to be on the safe side.
Original post by shawtyb
i dont get why its frowned upon when speaking about it online :/

Yh same here because obviously you would talk about it with your friends (same thing as talking about in a forum) and it's not like you can't research online so I find it quite dumb. But to be on the safe side I would say not to do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Yup. I've definitely learnt my lesson from the bits of worry I've put myself in. I don't recall writing him anything exact. He told me the ISA was about anaerobic respiration and lactic acid, so I copied and pasted him a paragraph from a science website about it and told him to familiarise and learn that. I think I told him what to make sure to include and the types of mistakes people make when writing about it. Basically, I told him what my teachers told me. So either way, If I said something I shouldn't have said, it's the teachers fault for saying it in the first place.

Yh same here because obviously you would talk about it with your friends (same thing as talking about in a forum) and it's not like you can't research online so I find it quite dumb. But to be on the safe side I would say not to do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know yeah, It's exactly the same as helping a friend out doing the same ISA as you in a different class that hasn't done it yet. Nobody would even know you told them, and you're pretty much told straight up what your ISA is about. So it's not like you can't go on the internet and find it all out for yourself.
Reply 9

Posted from TSR Mobile

ah well good luck regardless :smile:
Original post by lostintrnslation
Just make sure you've deleted what you posted, I guess, just to be on the safe side.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What goes on the Internet, stays on the Internet.
Original post by Bulletzone
Posted from TSR Mobile

What goes on the Internet, stays on the Internet.

well of course, but the examiners aren't going to be looking through deleted posts, are they?
Reply 12
I've been doing some browsing, and the particular thread was deleted and the user who originally created the thread has been banned. I can't find it anywhere, and the dates of the direct messages don't link up between any of my watched threads. So it's definitely been deleted.

The person was banned on the 29th April, and our last message was on the 25th April. So I don't know if that was why he was banned, or if he did something else. A ban must have come from something extreme.

So I presume I'm okay as I was not the one asking for the information, seeing as I've had nothing alerting me to anything. It's been over a month as well, sat all my exams so far perfectly fine. Am I just getting paranoid?

I looked in my exam booklet now, and the three quotes that are relevant or CA are:
"copying or allowing work to be copied"
"working collaboratively with other candidates beyond what is permitted"
"allowing others to help produce your work or helping others with theirs"

Thing is, I've seen old threads from last year talking about what to write for experiments and variables or specific experiments as well as linking people to good websites to use. These people have shared information similar to what I have, so I don't really understand this.

Am I just getting too paranoid?
Reply 13
Original post by xEmilyxx
Am I just getting too paranoid?

Yes.

Quick Reply

Latest