The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry A Exam Thread (Breadth - May 27 2016 and Depth - June 10 2016)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by help1208
i estimated bro but i need to work extra hard for A2 ill prob get a C for AS what do u reckon u would get?

hopefully an A but I don't like speculating
Original post by SGHD26716
Yes. But we don't do breadth and depth ever again. We do three papers next year.
One paper will be on module 1, 2, 3 and 5.
One paper will be on module 1, 2, 4 and 6
The last paper will be on everything.

So you don't retake AS. This AS doesn't count toward your A2 grade. Even if you get 0 marks in this, you can still get 100% in A2

Its not called A2 anymore, its just AS and A-level now because A-level is AS and A2 both.
Yes. But we don't do breadth and depth ever again. We do three papers next year.

So you don't retake AS. This AS doesn't count toward your A2 grade. Even if you get 0 marks in this, you can still get 100% in A2

yeah thats what i meant but goodluck man
Original post by asinghj
I remember reading
Draw both products
Mechanism for one
Why one is formed more than the other

No it said draw the mechanism for the formation of one of the products. I read it like 5 times just to make sure I knew exactly what it said and so I didn't draw the 2nd product. It then said say which product is most likely to form
Reply 1204
Original post by 4nonymous
No it said draw the mechanism for the formation of one of the products. I read it like 5 times just to make sure I knew exactly what it said and so I didn't draw the 2nd product. It then said say which product is most likely to form

It said do mechanism for one product
Draw both possible products
Explain which is major minor
It said do mechanism for one product
Draw both possible products
Explain which is major minor

It didn't say draw both products. I read it so many times. It only said draw one of them.
Reply 1206
It didn't say draw both products. I read it so many times. It only said draw one of them.

So how did you explain which was minor and major.

By the way, I'm not entirely sure so I'm not trying to worry you
So how did you explain which was minor and major.

By the way, I'm not entirely sure so I'm not trying to worry you

I explained that the major was the one that I drew and that the Br joins to the one with the most alkyl groups.... And the other was the one where it was the opposite...

Also I guess no one is sure unless we can have an actual look at the question again.
How did you guys find the paper yesterday?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Its not called A2 anymore, its just AS and A-level now because A-level is AS and A2 both.

Can this book be used for the new spec a2 level
image.png
Original post by so_321
Can this book be used for the new spec a2 level
image.png

I'm not sure, does it say its for the new spec?
I guess you can, but I'm not sure if it will contain everything that's in the new spec but will contain most of the information required.
What grade do you think 103/140 and 98/140?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty sure it said to only draw one possible product as I also read it many times

It said to explain why you get two
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jitesh
Pretty sure it said to only draw one possible product as I also read it many times

No you had to draw secondary and tertiary carbocation, the question said draw 2 that are produced in the greatest amounts, then explain which one the 2 products is produced in greater amounts.
Original post by skittles17
What grade do you think 103/140 and 98/140?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Both B's

Yes it was to draw the mechanism for one. But it mentioned it wanted the structural formula? This really confused me cause I didn't now if it wanted me to draw out the final products for both or just write out both the formula's so CH3H2 etc. Did we have to name the mechanism? Cause I didn't do that. But I explained the major/minor.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Cherx
Yes it was to draw the mechanism for one. But it mentioned it wanted the structural formula? This really confused me cause I didn't now if it wanted me to draw out the final products for both or just write out both the formula's so CH3H2 etc. Did we have to name the mechanism? Cause I didn't do that. But I explained the major/minor.

You just had to draw it out for one of them. I don't think you had to name the mechanism but I may have although can't remember. You should be fine.

So there would never be any more MCQ? I quite liked the breadth and depth paper layout for chem.
Original post by UK_Britain
No you had to draw secondary and tertiary carbocation, the question said draw 2 that are produced in the greatest amounts, then explain which one the 2 products is produced in greater amounts.

The question said draw the mechanism for the formation of one of the products. then it said explain which one is most likely to form. There was nothing that said draw the other. I'm pretty certain because originally I was going to draw both but after reading it like 5 times there was nothing that said draw both so I didn't.
Original post by Jitesh

It did say to draw both products but mechanism for one only

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending