The Student Room Group

I'm a Sikh planning to marry a Muslim AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by singher
What makes you think they tend to never work out? Reasons?

And because I just want to.

@TheALevelStudent

Your parents will not accept each other neither will hers.
sikhi and Islam are two very different religions
If you have children they'll be confused to which religion they should follow and accept
You can't have a nikkah or anand karaj

Plus Sikhs are only meant to marry sikhs
"The daughter of a Sikh should be given hand in marriage to a sikh" ~ Guru Gobind Singh Ji
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 21
On a scale of 10 to 10, with 10 being extremely stupid, how stupid are you?
Reply 22
Original post by AppleB
@TheALevelStudent

Your parents will not accept each other neither will hers.
sikhi and Islam are two very different religions
If you have children they'll be confused to which religion they should follow and accept
You can't have a nikkah or anand karaj

Plus Sikhs are only meant to marry sikhs
"The daughter of a Sikh should be given hand in marriage to a sikh" ~ Guru Gobind Singh Ji

Why make such a claim? Do you know my parents? My parents actually are very supportive of the situation and have said they do accept if things go to plan.

Well not completely different religions, there are more similarities than what people think. But then again all religions have differences. Same could be said, Sikhism and Hinduism are two very different religions.

And I don't believe in childhood indoctrination by the way.

I don't intend to have Nikkah or Anand Karaj. I would prefer a service in a hotel or something.

Also, Sikhs are allowed to get married to non-Sikhs, it just can not be an Anand Karaj. There is nothing mentioned in the GGSJ about marrying outside the faith.
Original post by singher
Why make such a claim? Do you know my parents? My parents actually are very supportive of the situation and have said they do accept if things go to plan.

Well not completely different religions, there are more similarities than what people think. But then again all religions have differences. Same could be said, Sikhism and Hinduism are two very different religions.

And I don't believe in childhood indoctrination by the way.

I don't intend to have Nikkah or Anand Karaj. I would prefer a service in a hotel or something.

Also, Sikhs are allowed to get married to non-Sikhs, it just can not be an Anand Karaj. There is nothing mentioned in the GGSJ about marrying outside the faith.

Oh just shut up.
Do whatever
100% troll
Reply 24
Original post by AppleB
Oh just shut up.
Do whatever
100% troll

Ok, believe it is a troll if you want, though it certainly doesn't change the current situation.

And you seem to be quite angry to find out a fellow Sikh is planning to get married to a non-Sikh. You should learn to respect other people's lifestyles. They will not always be the same as yours.
Reply 25
Original post by Nimrahk123
Don't worry, my Dads a photographer, done loads of Sikh, Muslim weddings. It's more comman than realised I think.

I do not know anyone else who has done it yet, but it is reassuring to hear that is not that uncommon.
What ethnicity is she, and how religious is she and her family?
Reply 27
Original post by Ravenous
What ethnicity is she, and how religious is she and her family?

She is the same ethnicity as me, Punjabi.

And I think she is quite religious, which is a good thing in my opinion. Not sure about her family though.
Original post by singher
Ok, believe it is a troll if you want, though it certainly doesn't change the current situation.

And you seem to be quite angry to find out a fellow Sikh is planning to get married to a non-Sikh. You should learn to respect other people's lifestyles. They will not always be the same as yours.

Lmfaoo :rofl:

Why would I be angry?
It doesn't bother me
Hence why I said do whatever

Goodbye :wavey:
Reply 29
Original post by AppleB
Lmfaoo :rofl:

Why would I be angry?
It doesn't bother me
Hence why I said do whatever

Goodbye :wavey:

Good, good. It was just by the way you posted it seemed like that.
Reply 30
Original post by ATW1
On a scale of 10 to 10, with 10 being extremely stupid, how stupid are you?

Not stupid at all.
Original post by singher

If you don't intend to do so, then no one actually cares what religion you are.
You've touched on it already, but how did both your family, and your partners family react to this?
Original post by singher
Good, good. It was just by the way you posted it seemed like that.

Probably because I said shut up?? :teehee:
But no I wasn't angry lmao

I'd like to know what happens...
Could you keep us updated lol :h:
Have you discussed which religion, if any, your children will be brought up to follow?
Are her parents okay with it? It's nice that your parents are; If I told my parents I wanted to marry a Muslim they would probably have a heart attack :lol:
If family is ok with it then i don't see any problems
Reply 37
Original post by Hydeman
Have you discussed which religion, if any, your children will be brought up to follow?

Not really thought about having children yet. And personally, I don't really want to indoctrinate my children, I would much rather teach them about various religions and then they can make a decision about which religion, if any they want to follow when they are older.

Religion to me is something that is very personal.
Reply 38
Original post by drowzee
Are her parents okay with it? It's nice that your parents are; If I told my parents I wanted to marry a Muslim they would probably have a heart attack :lol:

I am not sure about her parents yet. I hope that they will be ok with it.

And that's sad to hear about that. I know you are an atheist now, but what religion are your parents if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by drowzee

What about marrying an atheist? :teehee:

Quick Reply

Latest