The Student Room Group

I'm Fasting - AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SMEGGGY
Eating every midnight defeats the objective, as the unfortunates don't feast at midnight....

Posted from TSR Mobile

They can't just starve themselves completely lol.
Can't you, or shouldn't you, just not fast while you have exams?
Original post by celloel
It's still incredibly dangerous and I see no point in refusing yourself water. What do you gain from not drinking (except migraines from being dehydrated - because you will definitely be dehydrated, mildly/moderately so). How does dehydration help you become closer to your God?

Yes I experiences head aches ect but i know that at the end of the day I am able to have that glass of water so it gives me patience. If you want to look at it in the health side of things ok it is very dehydrating but i don't really go out in the sun because I'm revising anyways:smile:
But also the thirst makes me realise how thankful I am for what I have and makes me thank God.
:smile:
Original post by SeanFM

fasting does not affect your performance in the exam :smile: ...
Original post by Legendary Quest
What are you having for iftar?

Not sure yet, We make food 2 hours before iftar
Reply 45
Original post by pinkrox22310
Okay I see what you're saying but less fortunate people don't eat less they don't have anything. Yes we eat good meals and we're thankful for that obviously.
But Ramadan is also about giving so we give money to the poor and we hold a lot of charity events and share food around not like we just stuff our face with food without even thinking about others.

I just don't understand how fasting makes you better as a person, as it's the purpose of the Ramadan. You could do a lot of activities, like those you have listed, or cook for the poor, etc.
Reply 46
Original post by mediaya
In pakistan, its like 45 degrees but every single muslim fasts, even the food shops are closed during the day in ramdan. dont worry we drink alot when we break the fast and your body get used to it. It becomes like drinking at night and not in the day (just like you drink in the day but not at night)

Or pretends to fast.
Original post by SMEGGGY
Eating every midnight defeats the objective, as the unfortunates don't feast at midnight....

This is addressed to both Muslims and non-Muslims:

There is a common misconception that fasting is with the purpose of feeling how the poor feel; indeed that is one of the benefits of fasting that one feels empathy, but it is not the core reason.

Allah says in the Quran:

"O you who have believed, decreed upon you is fasting as it was decreed upon those before you that you may become righteous"

"The month of Ramadhan [is that] in which was revealed the Qur'an, a guidance for the people and clear proofs of guidance and criterion. So whoever sights [the new moon of] the month, let him fast it; and whoever is ill or on a journey - then an equal number of other days. Allah intends for you ease and does not intend for you hardship and [wants] for you to complete the period and to glorify Allah for that [to] which He has guided you; and perhaps you will be grateful."

Hadith say:

Narrated Abu Huraira: Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) said, "Fasting is a shield (or a screen or a shelter). So, the person observing fasting should avoid sexual relation with his wife and should not behave foolishly and impudently, and if somebody fights with him or abuses him, he should tell him twice, 'I am fasting." The Prophet (ﷺ) added, "By Him in Whose Hands my soul is, the smell coming out from the mouth of a fasting person is better in the sight of Allah than the smell of musk. (Allah says about the fasting person), 'He has left his food, drink and desires for My sake. The fast is for Me. So I will reward (the fasting person) for it and the reward of good deeds is multiplied ten times."

So as can be seen from these quotes is that the specific purposes of fasting is:
- To become righteous in the sight of Allah
- As an act of worship and glorification of Allah
- To develop gratitude
- To develop patience
- Fundementally, Allah has prescribed fasting, and so we must obey this command
- Allah loves those who fast

As you can subsquently see, eating at midnight does not defeat any of the purposes of fasting above.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SeanFM

Fasting is actually more of a blessing when having exams.
As a Muslim we believe that God has more mercy on us and is showering us with his blessings during the tough exam times.
It's hard but if you can fast during exams why not you will surely be helped by God if you do struggle
Original post by Emad1993
fasting does not affect your performance in the exam :smile: ...

I disagree - I only need to look here to see that people struggle to do work towards the end of the day and have to get stuff done early - not good for preparation in the exam.

And if you're hungry or thirsty or not feeling well in the middle of an exam.. :s-smilie:
Original post by Zamestaneh

This is addressed to both Muslims and non-Muslims:

There is a common misconception that fasting is with the purpose of feeling how the poor feel; indeed that is one of the benefits of fasting that one feels empathy, but it is not the core reason.

Allah says in the Quran:

"O you who have believed, decreed upon you is fasting as it was decreed upon those before you that you may become righteous"

"The month of Ramadhan [is that] in which was revealed the Qur'an, a guidance for the people and clear proofs of guidance and criterion. So whoever sights [the new moon of] the month, let him fast it; and whoever is ill or on a journey - then an equal number of other days. Allah intends for you ease and does not intend for you hardship and [wants] for you to complete the period and to glorify Allah for that [to] which He has guided you; and perhaps you will be grateful."

Hadith say:

Narrated Abu Huraira: Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) said, "Fasting is a shield (or a screen or a shelter). So, the person observing fasting should avoid sexual relation with his wife and should not behave foolishly and impudently, and if somebody fights with him or abuses him, he should tell him twice, 'I am fasting." The Prophet (ﷺ) added, "By Him in Whose Hands my soul is, the smell coming out from the mouth of a fasting person is better in the sight of Allah than the smell of musk. (Allah says about the fasting person), 'He has left his food, drink and desires for My sake. The fast is for Me. So I will reward (the fasting person) for it and the reward of good deeds is multiplied ten times."

So as can be seen from these quotes is that the specific purposes of fasting is:
- To become righteous in the sight of Allah
- As an act of worship and glorification of Allah
- To develop gratitude
- To develop patience
- Fundementally, Allah has prescribed fasting, and so we must obey this command
- Allah loves those who fast

As you can subsquently see, eating at midnight does not defeat any of the purposes of fasting above.

THIS ^^^
Original post by Hevachan
Do you think everyone not fasting will go to hell?

No, sick, old,mentally ill people, breastfeeding/menstruating women don't have to fast.
Original post by Josb
Or pretends to fast.

LOL pretend to fast... Hmm your comment was not needed they were just making a point :smile:
As a Muslim we believe that God has more mercy on us and is showering us with his blessings during the tough exam times.
It's hard but if you can fast during exams why not you will surely be helped by God if you do struggle

I see what you're saying. :smile: and I hope that in turns out like that it yours and everyone else's exams because I can imagine it being very taxing.
Original post by SeanFM
I disagree - I only need to look here to see that people struggle to do work towards the end of the day and have to get stuff done early - not good for preparation in the exam.

And if you're hungry or thirsty or not feeling well in the middle of an exam.. :s-smilie:

I'm doing my GSCES and I'm fine. Honestly you don't know till you do it so do you get me :smile:
I revise before I have to break my fast and after and I'm ready for my exam. Most of my exams are in the morning so there's no hunger or thirst then. Afternoon exams are too early for me to feel hungry aswell.

Although many people are different they may struggle a lot but they're being rewarded for their struggle and hard work.
Original post by Abb97
No, sick, old,mentally ill people, breastfeeding/menstruating women don't have to fast.

Sorry I meant none Muslims
Original post by NiamhM1801
What's the hardest part of it? Like is the no food or no water part the worst?
Also are you doing it "properly" ie no swearing or anything either?
How old were you the first time you fasted?

To be honest, i was hungry only for the first 3 days of ramadan and the worst part was when my stomach was rumbling in the english exam for nearly 2 hours.... , now i got used to it and dont feel hungry till an hour before breaking the fast (because thats when you can smell the delicious food 🍲). So the worst part is thirst.
I started fasting when i was 12 coz that when i hit puberty and before that i still used to fast for like 10 days out of the 30 because i found it fun..... I wonder why now??
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 57

You're saying that Allah is using his magical power to help students who fast during their exams?
Original post by animeamanda1412
some advice for those who are fasting...
have cornflakes for suhur
I swear to God, it helps ALOT
you wouldn't feel half as hungry as you are without it I'm telling you
hell you'd even forget you're fasting because of how not-hungry you are

Spoiler

Stuff like cornflakes is digested by the body quicker. I don't even have cornflakes even when I'm not fasting. Best thing to eat for suhoor is things that contain complex carbohydrates like Oats because it takes longer for the body to digest it.
Original post by Josb
You're saying that Allah is using his magical power to help students who fast during their exams?

magical power LOL
Well yes God helps us through the difficult times e.g exams,

Quick Reply

Latest