The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry A Exam Thread (Breadth - May 27 2016 and Depth - June 10 2016)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 4nonymous
Prove it. Some people are saying both others are saying not both. We can't be sure unless someone actually shows the question. Then we can all agree on one thing. But till then I'm gonna say no it didn't and we can agree to disagree.

We don't have the paper but on Tuesday I will ask my chemistry teacher to see the paper (he might have it) and then we'll see
Original post by asinghj
If you drop a subject and keep its AS grade then that is worth 40% of UCAS tarrif rather than 50%.
But if you carry onto doing the full A level then your As grade doesn't matter

Oh damn it I never knew. So the grade you get in AS counts towards the tariffs?
Original post by asinghj
Ok guys, I believe that for the first 6 marker, there were 2 marks for drawing 2 products, 3 marks for mechanism (correct dipoles, correct curly arrows, correct intermediate and product) and then 1 mark for saying why one is made in higher amounts than the other!

Or instead of drawing the two products it could have been to write the structural formulae of each :teehee:
Original post by 4nonymous
Yh and you won't lose marks for not putting both.

Yh they will say something like ignore the second product. Or allow1 product.
Anyway what did you get for the metal? Ca
And as you go down group 2 miles decrease so vol decreases?
Also was the mass in grams like 1.8....(forgot the rest)
Original post by Cherx
Oh damn it I never knew. So the grade you get in AS counts towards the tariffs?

For most unis u need 3 a levels, so if you have a fourth AS and don't do the full A Level for that subject then only for that one
Original post by Cherx
Or instead of drawing the two products it could have been to write the structural formulae of each :teehee:

Why would you write the structural formulae?
Original post by Cherx

Hope it's 'allow any type of formula'
What did everyone get for the rate of reaction? 9x10^-4? And how many marks would I lose if I done everything right for the last question except drawing butanoic acid at the end?
Original post by asinghj

Don't get why you would write structural formulae for electrophilic substitution. You have to use displayed formula as you show the movement of a pair of electron to the positive carbon
Original post by asinghj
For most unis u need 3 a levels, so if you have a fourth AS and don't do the full A Level for that subject then only for that one

Oh that explains why people say to choose an easy 4th subject.

Original post by asinghj

Lol I slightly struggled with writing it out structurally much easier to draw it out.

Original post by UK_Britain
Why would you write the structural formulae?

As I remember reading structural in the question and struggling to think on how to write it out lol. Structural formulae to show the end products.
Original post by asinghj
We don't have the paper but on Tuesday I will ask my chemistry teacher to see the paper (he might have it) and then we'll see

OK cool, then if you're right I'll happily admit I was wrong
Yh they will say something like ignore the second product. Or allow1 product.
Anyway what did you get for the metal? Ca
And as you go down group 2 miles decrease so vol decreases?
Also was the mass in grams like 1.8....(forgot the rest)

Yh I got that too
Reply 1252
Guys do u think 91/140........ 65% can be a B
Original post by Juni99
Guys do u think 91/140........ 65% can be a B

Unlikely based on the boundaries for the old specification.
Original post by Cherx
https://www.ucas.com/advisers/guides-and-resources/tariff-2017
Read the section on 'Has anything been lowered'

This is why I'm still a bit confused. As I know that AS does not count. Yet our AS papers are being mixed with A2 content?

If you drop the subject then you get to keep you're AS grade, but if not then your AS grade does not mean anything for next year.
Next year there are 3 papers:

Periodic table, elements and physical chemistry(01)100 marks 2 hours 15 minutes written paper = 37%of total A level (assesses content from modules 1, 2, 3 and 5.)

Synthesis and analytical techniques(02)100 marks 2 hours 15 minutes written paper = 37%of total A level (assesses content from modules 1, 2, 4 and 6.)

Unified chemistry(03)70 marks 1 hour 30 minutes written paper = 26%of total A level (assesses content from all modules (1 to 6).)

This year you've covered most of modules 1 2 3 and 4
next year you will learn mainly 5 and 6 but also additional information from 1 2 3 and 4

There is also the Practical Endorsement in chemistry(04)(non exam assessment) Reported separately. It requires a minimum of 12 practical activities to be completed from the Practical Activity Groups (PAGs)
(edited 7 years ago)
Cheers @4nonymous :smile:
Original post by chocolate_cat_99
What did everyone get for the rate of reaction? 9x10^-4? And how many marks would I lose if I done everything right for the last question except drawing butanoic acid at the end?

I got something*10^-4. If you didn't draw the final product but dos everything then that should be 5/6.
(edited 7 years ago)
Don't get why you would write structural formulae for electrophilic substitution. You have to use displayed formula as you show the movement of a pair of electron to the positive carbon

Not for the mechanism, but cherx was talking about the final products
for the last question, I ended up getting butanoic acid but my method was really weird and I used 89 instead of 88 etc, would I still get 4/6 marks for getting to that conclusion or no, is method looked at a lot?
Reply 1259
Original post by Cherx
So there would never be any more MCQ? I quite liked the breadth and depth paper layout for chem.

There will be multiple choice questions. That will be on all of the papers we do next year apart from the Unified Chemistry (all modules)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending