The Student Room Group

AQA A2 ECONOMICS ECON 3 20th JUNE

Any predictions for this exam? I'm thinking maybe something to do with oil and its decline in price or something to do with china's steel industry dumping on the export market.
Reply 1
Original post by _Rhys
Any predictions for this exam? I'm thinking maybe something to do with oil and its decline in price or something to do with china's steel industry dumping on the export market.

Just to keep in mind, the exams are written almost over a year ago, so the excess dumping of steel by China has a small chance of coming up as it was only truly noticed early this year, and end of last year, on the media. Oil prices dropping, I agree, is very possible as it started to fall dramatically in 2014.

I think there could be a chance for mergers to come up again, I know a lot of big mergers have occurred in the past years, and some which have been blocked by competition authorities. Last time this sort of context came up was in 2011.
I know of a merger of two extremely large alcohol firms from last year which was made official. This is a good example as it is an inelastic good with negative externalities and market failure written all over it.
Original post by LShaha
Just to keep in mind, the exams are written almost over a year ago, so the excess dumping of steel by China has a small chance of coming up as it was only truly noticed early this year, and end of last year, on the media. Oil prices dropping, I agree, is very possible as it started to fall dramatically in 2014.

I think there could be a chance for mergers to come up again, I know a lot of big mergers have occurred in the past years, and some which have been blocked by competition authorities. Last time this sort of context came up was in 2011.
I know of a merger of two extremely large alcohol firms from last year which was made official. This is a good example as it is an inelastic good with negative externalities and market failure written all over it.

?
How?
Merge -->more market share-->more price setting power -->increase price, decrease quantity consumed-->less of demerit good consumed.

How is this a bad thing again?
Reply 3
Original post by BirdIsWord
?
How?
Merge -->more market share-->more price setting power -->increase price, decrease quantity consumed-->less of demerit good consumed.

How is this a bad thing again?

You're argument is perfectly correct, however assuming that the monopoly is focused mainly on making supernormal profit. For an evaluative point, the merger may actually increase the supply of the demerit good as the merging of two large firms makes the new integrated firm more dynamic, meaning it is more likely to achieve economies of scale therefore lowering price to sell a good for which consumers enjoy.
But for your argument, the negative externalities are still present. Even though they're reduced, a market failure still persists through the provision of alcohol.
Also, the merger may not necessarily reduce supply due to the multiplicity of brands at the hands of the monopoly, therefore reducing the supply in a more horizontally integrated market will add administrative costs.
Can anyone help me with a detailed explanation for this question?
" analyse how a trade union can influence wages and employmentlevels in an imperfectly competitive labour market."
Cheere! :biggrin:
Are there any topics that come up regularly in the section B parts, where there are optional essays, for AQA Econ 3 and Econ 4?
Reply 6
Original post by AmarPatel98
Are there any topics that come up regularly in the section B parts, where there are optional essays, for AQA Econ 3 and Econ 4?

For unit 3, most of the time there will be an essay on a type of market structure, or to do with a market structure (like monopoly,etc.). There are also ones which have topics in the middle of the textbook like contestability, price discrimination,etc. And lastly from a majority of essay questions as Essay 3 are all about labour markets or poverty and inequality.

For unit 4, they're mainly based on specific types of government policy, like fiscal policy. Or, they're about one or two macroeconomic performance indicators, like inflation for example, and will then ask to evaluate it in context with something else.

Hope this helps a bit.
Original post by LShaha
For unit 3, most of the time there will be an essay on a type of market structure, or to do with a market structure (like monopoly,etc.). There are also ones which have topics in the middle of the textbook like contestability, price discrimination,etc. And lastly from a majority of essay questions as Essay 3 are all about labour markets or poverty and inequality.

For unit 4, they're mainly based on specific types of government policy, like fiscal policy. Or, they're about one or two macroeconomic performance indicators, like inflation for example, and will then ask to evaluate it in context with something else.

Hope this helps a bit.

Ah yeah cheers! Any predictions on what can/can't come up for section B's essays, since section A is a lot more varied?
Reply 8
Original post by AmarPatel98
Ah yeah cheers! Any predictions on what can/can't come up for section B's essays, since section A is a lot more varied?

Honestly mate, essay questions are almost impossible to predict because they're so broad as they only have a small statement. So on that note i don't have a clue haha
Reply 9
Anybody else think Royal Mail privatisation may come up??
Original post by LShaha

Your suggestion on oil prices for ECON3 is interesting. There have been nasty ECON4-esque questions about the Single European Market but as ECON3 question. Something like 'discuss the effect of the SEM on businesses'.You sound very adept at ECON3 - could I ask your advice on tackling a question on oil prices for ECON3? What angle would you discuss it? Product and labour markets? Falling LRAC? I'd find it tricky to separate the ECON3 content from ECON4.
Reply 11
Original post by GeorgieH4
Anybody else think Royal Mail privatisation may come up??

Our teachers think that
Reply 12
Is 1 well explained and evaluated point enough to get us 20/25 ?
Original post by JME_CHG

Has to be at least two issues discussed to exceed something like 15/16 marks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by redwhiteandbrit
Has to be at least two issues discussed to exceed something like 15/16 marks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you by any chance got any answers you could share?
Original post by soLit
Our teachers think that

Original post by JME_CHG

Original post by redwhiteandbrit

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4172266 GET IN HERE LADS we all need to be on one thread
Reply 16
Original post by AgentClank
Your suggestion on oil prices for ECON3 is interesting. There have been nasty ECON4-esque questions about the Single European Market but as ECON3 question. Something like 'discuss the effect of the SEM on businesses'.You sound very adept at ECON3 - could I ask your advice on tackling a question on oil prices for ECON3? What angle would you discuss it? Product and labour markets? Falling LRAC? I'd find it tricky to separate the ECON3 content from ECON4.

Well oil prices I'd say mainly for a unit 3 perspective would be its impact on certain businesses and market structures such as monopoly or oligopoly. Also, lower oil prices can be seen as a reduction in barriers to entry for a market as it reduces total costs for a business therefore it can lead to a lot more competition. I would think this now to be an essay question at most. I would be interested to see how they would put it as a context question if it were to come up.
Any topics that come up regularly in the section A part for AQA Econ 4?
Like in Econ 3, one of the Section A questions will always be a government intervention question. Any predictions for Economics AQA Unit 4 (ECON4) questions in general? Thank you :smile:
Reply 18
Who did context 1? What percentage did people get for the 1st question? I got 1.87%
Reply 19
Original post by Will6
Who did context 1? What percentage did people get for the 1st question? I got 1.87%

think that's what I put as well

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending