The Student Room Group

Anyone a vegetarian / vegan?

anyone on here vegetarian / vegan? Anyone have any opinions on it? I'm very curious

Scroll to see replies

yeah but on/off cos my parents wont let me change until after exams
Reply 2
Original post by Lookitsbeccy1998
anyone on here vegetarian / vegan? Anyone have any opinions on it? I'm very curious

I am a vegetarian.
I'm planning on being raw vegan very soon - I just have to research what I need to eat.

Raw food is the best because cooking typically removes nutrients (so by eating raw you'll be healthier all round) and veganism is good because the more people be vegan, the less animals will get exploited and treated badly.
Reply 4
Vegetarian ftw!
I am!
I am. :smile:
Yes,I'm vegan!X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Vegetarian, on the way to being vegan :smile:
I'm so glad there's so many vegetarians! I'm a vegetarian at the moment but my end goal is vegan!
Reply 10
moi! :biggrin:
I am neither, but two of my best friends are vegan and another pescetarian.

I'm fine with that and I don't mind and I generally eat the same as them if I'm around them. My only issue is, that one of the vegans is constantly shaming me for eating meat and dairy and telling me things like 'they basically rape the cows' even when I ask him to stop. My view is that I don't care what your opinion is, don't push it on me like I haven't made am informed choice.

As they say, don't push your religion on others :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm a vegetarian simply because I've never liked meat. I find it's a healthier lifestyle for me personally too but it's up to others what they eat. Most people are going vegan these days because it's depicted as a classy lifestyle etc, I know two people who have gone vegan just to get attention :colonhash:
If you want an informative, motivated educational outlet on the pros and cons of veganism give VeganGains a try. He likes to put forward his views in a professional manner which may be appealing for you.
Original post by King Scorchy
I'm planning on being raw vegan very soon - I just have to research what I need to eat.

Raw food is the best because cooking typically removes nutrients (so by eating raw you'll be healthier all round) and veganism is good because the more people be vegan, the less animals will get exploited and treated badly.

I have heard this point of view a lot. but it's just incorrect. The amount of nutrients lost when cooking is minute.
Original post by Uncle Tom
I have heard this point of view a lot. but it's just incorrect. The amount of nutrients lost when cooking is minute.

That's interesting! I'm looking into this.

Thanks.
Original post by flossg
I am neither, but two of my best friends are vegan and another pescetarian.

I'm fine with that and I don't mind and I generally eat the same as them if I'm around them. My only issue is, that one of the vegans is constantly shaming me for eating meat and dairy and telling me things like 'they basically rape the cows' even when I ask him to stop. My view is that I don't care what your opinion is, don't push it on me like I haven't made am informed choice.

As they say, don't push your religion on others :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree with you that forcing information onto somebody isn't nice.
I don't eat anything that exploits animals however I haven't told any of my friends because I fear my beliefs would be received negatively.
I must, however disagree with you when you refer to this "informed choice". I don't think eating meat is an informed choice at all. If you were well-informed, you wouldn't eat meat.
Unfortunately, in a society of negative media, stereotyping and myths- the correct information is often misplaced.
Being informed is having the awareness of every single process that goes into bringing a live animal onto your plate. Most people wouldn't last 2 minutes watching what takes place in a slaughter house or even a dairy farm.

Veganism (and vegetarianism) is the fastest growing social movement in today's society. If you've studied social sciences or History or English, you will be aware of the depravity of our ancestors actions: the inhibition of fellow human beings due to their gender, the oppression of fellow human beings based on their skin, the persecution of fellow human beings due to their religion...
We look back at all of these events with disgust however many people lived alongside such events, blissfully unaware (a contributor to such mass ignorance could be said to be the media)
How do we know something is not going on now that our successors will resent us for?

You may argue that animals are not human beings and therefore do not deserve the growing levels of compassion and philanthropy we are beginning to show each other. This then becomes, not an information problem but, an ego-orientated problem.

Hopefully none of this information is new to you, therefore isn't as forceful as your friend's less appealing knowledge :smile:
I have been for about 10 months now (vegetarian), mainly for moral/ethical reasons i.e. I kind of started to actually realise what was really on my plate and what happened to get it there, and wasn't ok with it anymore. Thinking about maybe going vegan in the future but not right now because a) I'm not very well informed about what happens/need to research it more before deciding for certain and b) I know that I have quite a reliance on animal-based foods, and it would be a super steep curve to cut stuff out. I might try doing 'meatless mondays' but for animal products instead of meat or something similar next year. :dontknow:

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask. :smile:
Original post by yareelit

I must, however disagree with you when you refer to this "informed choice". I don't think eating meat is an informed choice at all. If you were well-informed, you wouldn't eat meat.
Unfortunately, in a society of negative media, stereotyping and myths- the correct information is often misplaced.
Being informed is having the awareness of every single process that goes into bringing a live animal onto your plate. Most people wouldn't last 2 minutes watching what takes place in a slaughter house or even a dairy farm.

I'm probably going to sound like a cold-hearted, horrible individual but I've seen many videos and none made me want to stop eating meat (although I do plan to). Oddly enough, the unnecessary amount of resources we use on animals for slaughter and the overall environmental impact get to me more since those are pretty much things that could have an impact on me directly, which is quite selfish.
Reply 19
Vegan for nearly 2 years now - I'm 18.

Quick Reply

Latest